• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All this talk about boots makes me think I need to get a new pair! Anyone have experience with ski shops in Lincoln or Franconia NH? I'd love a recommendation.

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
Have already done one thing--purchased my discount card for the local hills :thumbsup:

Next things:
-Keep working on those parallel turns I found on my last day of skiing last season and get them consistent (this boosted my confidence by orders of magnitude--there's no going back, I'm all in now!)
-Not let pitch changes freak me out
-Hockey stop
-Maybe work my way up to some blue runs
-Take a "sick day" here and there...if you know what I mean :wink:

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Big goals:
1. Keep improving fitness after a long summer hiatus from working out (working abroad with lots of sitting); I want to be able to ski all day for at least three days in a row without pain or significant soreness. I'm focusing on lunges in particular.
2. Be fit enough to keep up with the uphill portions of my AIARE Level 1 class in January.
3. Improve my form and style on bumps and crud - a major weakness right now.
4. Prevent my recent back muscle strain (bad fall bouldering) from getting any worse.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard there's a Ped-Orthopedist (sic) that does boots in Plymouth, NH.

That would be Richelson's Feet First. They did my first foot beds in 2002 or so. They also have locations elsewhere in NH. I was directed there by one of the Cannon Mountain skiers, who tend to be pretty demanding but then very loyal. When I first stopped in, the owner was out in the parking lot watching someone run from all angles before approaching the custom orthotics. I can't verify if they are still that precise but I was impressed way back then. https://richelsonsfeetfirst.com/

marzNC

Angel Diva
All this talk about boots makes me think I need to get a new pair! Anyone have experience with ski shops in Lincoln or Franconia NH? I'd love a recommendation.
Not exactly direct experience, but I listened as one of the boot fitters at Rogers in Lincoln talked to parents as he was fitting their son's boots. He was saying all the right things from what I could tell. This was during early season when I spent a couple days checking out Loon a few years ago. I was generally impressed with the inventory they had for ski gear. Two floors as I remember, with the boot fitting on the top floor. From their website, they can do everything to customize boots. Even have prices online for assorted modifications when someone just brings in boots bought elsewhere, which is unusual.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not exactly direct experience, but I listened as one of the boot fitters at Rogers in Lincoln talked to parents as he was fitting their son's boots. He was saying all the right things from what I could tell. This was during early season when I spent a couple days checking out Loon a few years ago. I was generally impressed with the inventory they had for ski gear. Two floors as I remember, with the boot fitting on the top floor. From their website, they can do everything to customize boots. Even have prices online for assorted modifications when someone just brings in boots bought elsewhere, which is unusual.
I got confirmation at the Boston Ski Expo yesterday that Rogers is a good place to buy boots. The young woman I talked to at the Dynastar/Lange booth said that John Saffo is very good. She's a former racer.

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to be able to ski on my compromised knee! If successful, I will focus on skiing more with my feet/ankles...late last year, I discovered the joy of letting my skis truly flatten, embracing the fall line into my next turn...

Mostly, I just want to have fun and enjoy the great outdoors!!

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
My main goal is to take lessons this season.

Next, to stop underestimating myself and challenge myself more. To spend more time skiing and less time hesitating. To continue exercising throughout the season. To wake up a little earlier in the mornings before skiing :smile:

kiki

Angel Diva
My main goal is to take lessons this season.

Next, to stop underestimating myself and challenge myself more. To spend more time skiing and less time hesitating. To continue exercising throughout the season. To wake up a little earlier in the mornings before skiing :smile:
You said its your 5th season? Hopefully it will be the easiest yet :-)

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
You said its your 5th season? Hopefully it will be the easiest yet :-)

Yep! And thank you! I hope so, too :smile: I feel like I learned a lot last season, but there is always room for improvement I suppose!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hah. Buying boots really is like dropping $400-800 on a first date with no idea how it'll turn out.
I finally got AT boots sorted last year (took 2 pairs, I sold the first attempt at about a $250 loss....ouch). I keep putting off downhill boots but at some point I'll have to bite that bullet. Probably once 2018 rolls around and I get my new wellness money from work.

In terms of ski performance, my goals this year are:
1) Figure out how to stay off my tails on my new AT boot/ski setup
2) Keep working on drops/jumps
3) Get a weekend ski clinic organized for the ladies in my SAR group, focused on skills for backcountry conditions (i.e. variable, no groomers) - I will probably get less out of this clinic in terms of skill development, but increasing the level of the ladies I'm skiing with will make my ski days more interesting!

Otherwise, I will have 6 days off at a time all this winter and be working closer to x-country ski trails, so my goals are:
1) Explore Revelstoke
2) Go back to Schweitzer
3) skate ski on average 1 evening/week

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My goal is simply. Don't get hurt.

In all seriousness, I really aim every year to improve - I feel like if I don't leave the mountain a better skier than I arrived, that I somehow failed. But I've been having a little knee pain that I'm trying to not let get to me. I've started riding my bike again and yoga but I really need to ramp it up in order to get strong again... So yeah, I think while I really REALLY want to improve my skills in bumps and trees, I'm going to be happy to complete a trip while staying healthy. Sad tales from a vacation skier.

It's actually this mentality that has me conflicted about an upcoming trip to Denver in early December. Normally I'd take my boots and skis and hit the mountain for a day or two while there (I have a good friend who lives in Breck and always try to get up there when I'm in town). But with Big Sky our main trip this year, in March, I'm not sure if it's worth it to get on the mountain for one early season day and risk my big trip. But then again.... Ugh.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With the ski season fast approaching (yay!) I thought I would start a thread for Divas to post their goals for this winter. Here are mine:

1) Improve my moguls and glades skiing
2) Become more confident on double black diamond runs
3) Discover as many new ski areas as possible.

What are yours?

I recently learned to plant my pole as a flick of the wrist. That keeps my hands in front AND stable at all times. I learned it during a lesson in Whistler at the end of last season, so I'm looking forward to perfecting that! I take a lesson in Whistler every year, which I feel really improves my skiing.

I'm an advanced skier, looking forward to trying out my brand new 2018 Volkl Yumis later this month!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna