• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I don't do it this year, I'll be one year older when I do. Gawd love 'ya Warren.

That's one of my favorite quotes ever! Applies to so much more than skiing.

I realized I do have a goal, although I don't think of it as such. I'm on my third pair of AT boots, and they have so many problems. In fact, I think the first pair was actually better for me. I need to spend some time on my AT gear, even if it's at the resort, to figure it out. If I can't get them to work for me, I may just give up on backcountry at all. That would be unfortunate, but I really can't see buying a fourth pair and hoping they work.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started last season with my 3.5yo doing nothing more than standing on skis, and by the end of the season he was skiing from the top of every mountain we went to (Cannon, Bretton Woods, Sugarloaf) and killing it! The entire month of December was spent on the bunny slope, and we took LOTS of snack breaks, but his endurance really increased as the season went on. It's totally worth the investment...my oldest reached the point where he was better than me last season...at 8 :eek:

I'm actually really excited! Even though A basin is open, there aren't any runs suitable for taking him on yet so I'm counting down the days until more terrain gets open. Last season we succeeded in getting him super stoked on skiing and comfortable with gliding while between our legs and towards the end of the season skiing backwards in front of him. This year his physical ability has really improved, so I think we can get him to learn an easy wedge and maaaaybe turn a bit. He's not quite old enough for the local kids program so we're just doing a little prep work and then next season planning on getting him in that.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Simple this year - lots of days and total time on the snow. I like the drills I have to do, I just need to make more time to do them. And hopefully, lots of fun.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm actually really excited! Even though A basin is open, there aren't any runs suitable for taking him on yet so I'm counting down the days until more terrain gets open. Last season we succeeded in getting him super stoked on skiing and comfortable with gliding while between our legs and towards the end of the season skiing backwards in front of him. This year his physical ability has really improved, so I think we can get him to learn an easy wedge and maaaaybe turn a bit. He's not quite old enough for the local kids program so we're just doing a little prep work and then next season planning on getting him in that.
Don't underestimate him! Be patient and he can certainly be doing wedge turns this year. By the end of the season, my 3.5-year old was skiing some pretty steep stuff, glades, and even some bumps. He was doing wedge turns and even finishing parallel. Was his technique perfect? No! Did he have fun? Yes! Was it great to ski as a family of 5? You bet!

Also, he was too young for lessons at our home mountain too, so I taught him myself. The key is to keep it fun, and know when to call it day. Always leave them wanting more :thumbsup:

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just let him slide and have fun. Use the edgie/wedgie and see if he can make a wedge to stop. Find some small uphills where he can experience slowing down while not in a wedge.

Fun is key.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No lofty goals, only 1 goal in mind.

Get acquainted with my new ski boots. Truly hope we will like each other and they will not let me down.
(I say it with my fingers crossed!)

Hah. Buying boots really is like dropping $400-800 on a first date with no idea how it'll turn out.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I'm right there with you @alison wong! I'm getting my first pair of ski boots this weekend. Are these your first pair too or an upgrade?

Ha! Thanks for this, I'm already so nervous that I'm going to choose the wrong ones:help:.

It will be my 2nd pair. My first pair bought in 2012 on sale from a chain store. Turned out they were "bucket" boots, one size larger than what it supposed to be. (I am actually size 22.5. But my first pair was 23.5)

Even though this 2nd pair boots was recommended and fitted from an experienced, well known boot fitter here in town, I am still holding my breath. I don't know how they will turn out.
(Holding my breath until the season starts in Jan. I shall have gigantic lungs by then!)

alison wong

Angel Diva
Hah. Buying boots really is like dropping $400-800 on a first date with no idea how it'll turn out.
Yep. Good thing was, my boot fitter found me an older model. It only costs $299 (new will be $499). The final price will be a bit more because they will need canting. Still, I am just nervous how they will behave. As I am told, the pair I got is race boots, with 110 flex. One friend (a boot fitter in CA) mentioned: "they will make you ski faster!" Reading the word "faster" is enough to give me a mental pause. Because I don't like fast, speed frightens me and then I fall...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep. Good thing was, my boot fitter found me an older model. It only costs $299 (new will be $499). The final price will be a bit more because they will need canting. Still, I am just nervous how they will behave. As I am told, the pair I got is race boots, with 110 flex. One friend (a boot fitter in CA) mentioned: "they will make you ski faster!" Reading the word "faster" is enough to give me a mental pause. Because I don't like fast, speed frightens me and then I fall...

Ehh. I don't know that I believe that. I think s/he was probably trying to get you excited for the boots ...

newboots

Angel Diva
As I am told, the pair I got is race boots, with 110 flex. One friend (a boot fitter in CA) mentioned: "they will make you ski faster!" Reading the word "faster" is enough to give me a mental pause. Because I don't like fast, speed frightens me and then I fall...

Less flex gives you more control, not more speed. I believe. Am I right? How could boots make you ski faster? Skis can, I think. But boots?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very thought provoking article on goals, changing perspective on what it takes to reach them:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/more-important-than-goals-activity-included-shawn-stratton

Am I the only one who looked at the image of hand-written goals and thought "These are contradictory if you have a full time job"?

I'm struggling with this now that I'm about to start a new job. It's a good thing, on so many levels - but how am I supposed to cook healthy food, eat enough vegetables, do my strength workouts, PT, and stretching, get a cardio workout, ski ... AND get enough sleep?

Oh. I see. His goal is more than 5 hours a night. My goal - no, actually, my physical requirement - is at LEAST 8 hours a night. If I get some 9s, I can pull off some 7s, but that's about it. So he has 3 extra hours to burn every night.

kiki

Angel Diva
Am I the only one who looked at the image of hand-written goals and thought "These are contradictory if you have a full time job"?

I'm struggling with this now that I'm about to start a new job. It's a good thing, on so many levels - but how am I supposed to cook healthy food, eat enough vegetables, do my strength workouts, PT, and stretching, get a cardio workout, ski ... AND get enough sleep?

Oh. I see. His goal is more than 5 hours a night. My goal - no, actually, my physical requirement - is at LEAST 8 hours a night. If I get some 9s, I can pull off some 7s, but that's about it. So he has 3 extra hours to burn every night.
Got to find a balance! Certainly not easy. I gave up on a clean tidy house in favour of exercise lol!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't agree with that exactly (make you ski faster) but when I upgraded to a better fitting boot (24.5 from 25.5) I felt sooooooo much more stable and in control that I CHOSE to ski faster and felt 100x better even at faster speeds.

I cried after the first run I was so relieved. Since I had more control I had way more choices of speed and line and while I still don't like to feel like I'm going "too fast", I'm aware that if my boot is too loosely buckled I feel unstable and everything feels to fast.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly