• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are your goals for the 2017/2018 season?

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With the ski season fast approaching (yay!) I thought I would start a thread for Divas to post their goals for this winter. Here are mine:

1) Improve my moguls and glades skiing
2) Become more confident on double black diamond runs
3) Discover as many new ski areas as possible.

What are yours?

mustski

Angel Diva
I am determined to become proficient in easy bumps. Fear holds me back a lot. If I can become proficient on blue slope bumps, maybe it will help me overcome my fear. Now the problem, finding blue slope bumps to practice on! In SoCal, they groom out all the bumps at local mountains and Mammoth only has a couple of blue slope bump runs.

newboots

Angel Diva
@mustski - Apparently you are overdue for a trip to Bretton Woods. (I want to ski there myself!)

@QCskier - Good question! Makes me think. I'm going into my second season. I think this is the list:

1) Relearn that stuff I learned last year, especially as I was starting to do reasonably good turns, separation between upper and lower body (what was that called again?), arms forward to stay forward on my skis.

2) Get comfortable on blues. This was starting to happen last year, although I skied the same blue trails repeatedly (which is great, but not the same thing as being "comfortable on blues").

3) Learn my way around Killington. This is probably a multi-year project. I'll be skiing at Killington and Okemo.

4) Get started on glades, specifically Squeeze Play at Killington, which is a blue trail. I long to ski in the trees, but I don't want to die. Which brings me to:

5) Really learn to side slip, and stop. Not pretend, but really.

I know there is more. I can't think of what. Take lessons!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My goal: get the knee I injured this summer in my bike accident completely rehabilitated. I've been working on this Every. Single. Day. Exercises. Massage. Stretches. I WILL get there, and I've definitely improved. But it's become my new hobby. I'm actually hoping I'll be okay by the time ski season starts. Today is three months, and I'm working on it.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
My goal: similar to @ski diva . Get the injured knee (ACL and meniscus) completely rehabilitated for ski season. According to Physical Therapist, the type of ACL injury I have can heal on its own and MINE HAS. The meniscus will probably continue to give me issues as is a "flap tear" and can lock up now and then.
I have been religiously working on this since April.... I have committed to a couple of ski trips and hoping I can go to Diva West @ Mammoth... unless it coincides with a Crested Butte option that has come my way.
Basically, I just want to ski. And I'll settle for anything .

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am determined to become proficient in easy bumps. Fear holds me back a lot. If I can become proficient on blue slope bumps, maybe it will help me overcome my fear. Now the problem, finding blue slope bumps to practice on! In SoCal, they groom out all the bumps at local mountains and Mammoth only has a couple of blue slope bump runs.
Come to Tahoe. Both Heavenly and Northstar have blue bump runs...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ditto for me. My latest pet project is stretching my hip flexors, which seem at least in part to be responsible for my knee pain while skiing. I want to be able to charge as hard as I was before the injury. I hope I have the wisdom to recognize in the moment whether I can do that or need to stop for the day.

Other than that, it sounds like my new job may give me some flexibility for ski travel. If my knee is up for it, I'd like to ski a couple of days at Taos. It's only a five hour drive or so for me ... and it sounds like it has the kind of fun that will freak me out. In a good way. Mostly.

But so far, rehabbing the knee. I've already done 11 runs at A Basin this season! Well, half runs - only the lower lift is open. I've discovered that if I just lazily ski, my knee hurts. If I take control and consciously flex the ankle (leading to a more flexed knee), my knee doesn't hurt, or at least takes a lot more turns before hurting.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like @mustski 's goals a lot, so I'm taking it on too. Also, get out on my x-country skis this year. And avoid injuring myself.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm. "Avoiding injury" could make you tentative, which actually increases risk of injury.

For me, I'm setting a goal of skiing more in control and specifically slowing down for blind turns. That's what I can do.

I hope to get back to jumping off cornices this season, which is something I was working on before the injury.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope to get back to jumping off cornices this season, which is something I was working on before the injury.

The idea of jumping off anything just made my knees whimper!!

I just want to have fun and enjoy being out in the air! And remember to rent fat skis those few days in New England when it's really deep in places .... East Coast face plant in powder annoys me more than out West! We were just talking about that yesterday at my yacht club while sitting outside at 70 degrees! (It's October?!) Let's see .... don't want to catch an edge and land on my face and get a fat lip again! My instructor friends will point out things and take me off to work on them ... again and again. All good for me!

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After renting AT equipment last year, I bought a great setup. My goals are to do a lot of uphill skinning and backcountry tours. I have registered for Avy 1 class in January.

I have been invited to go on a Haute Route trip in 2019 and plan to do serious training for that experience.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Goals:
1. Keep up with my kids (9, 7, and 4) who are already better than me (not the 4-year-old yet, but it's just a matter of time)
2. Gain confidence on tight glades
3. Improved form on bumps
4. Have fun!

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let's see, this is my third season but my first day this season will only be day 6!

1. I want to work on my turns, both in size and shape. Right now they are skidded "Z" turns.
2. Get up on my edges.
3. Stopping. I feel like this isn't a huge issue. I can hockey stop just fine, but I want train on stopping instantly anywhere.
4. Ski all green runs, which I can do, but proficiently.
5. Work my way up to actually skiing Blues. I can probably make it down a few now.
6. Learn to pole plant.

Maybe it's too much too soon, but it's my goal to ski with good technique not just survive.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let's see, this is my third season but my first day this season will only be day 6!

1. I want to work on my turns, both in size and shape. Right now they are skidded "Z" turns.
2. Get up on my edges.
3. Stopping. I feel like this isn't a huge issue. I can hockey stop just fine, but I want train on stopping instantly anywhere.
4. Ski all green runs, which I can do, but proficiently.
5. Work my way up to actually skiing Blues. I can probably make it down a few now.
6. Learn to pole plant.

Maybe it's too much too soon, but it's my goal to ski with good technique not just survive.

It doesn't sound like too much too soon ... unless you're only planning to ski three days again this season. Then it might be a lot.

Obviously an instructor would help with all of these.

For stopping -

I had an instructor years ago who would stop at the top of a transition, like right below a cat track. We'd have to line up below him, facing the same direction. It was always at the steepest part of the run, and he alternated sides. It very effectively taught us how to stop on both sides. You can make a game of doing the same thing, and alternating sides yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly