• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Yumi - 154 or 161cm?

Bethany

Diva in Training
Hi everyone,

It's my first time buying skis and I've decided to get the Volkl Yumi. The trouble is I'm not sure whether to get the 154cm or the 161cm. I'm 5 ft 6" and 116 lbs. I'd class myself as an intermediate skier but I'm far from aggressive and I like to stick to the groomed runs. I ski in Montana. I've talked to multiple ski shops and have got mixed answers. I'd really appreciate any advice!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone,

It's my first time buying skis and I've decided to get the Volkl Yumi. The trouble is I'm not sure whether to get the 154cm or the 161cm. I'm 5 ft 6" and 116 lbs. I'd class myself as an intermediate skier but I'm far from aggressive and I like to stick to the groomed runs. I ski in Montana. I've talked to multiple ski shops and have got mixed answers. I'd really appreciate any advice!

Welcome! What's your home mountain? I've only skied at Bridger and Big Sky in Montana but would like to explore the other ski areas in the region some day.

How did you learn to ski? How many years ago did you start?

Bethany

Diva in Training
Welcome! What's your home mountain? I've only skied at Bridger and Big Sky in Montana but would like to explore the other ski areas in the region some day.

How did you learn to ski? How many years ago did you start?

Thanks for replying. I ski at Big Sky. I started skiing 5 yrs ago (I had a few lessons when I first started). But I don't get the opportunity to ski as much as I'd like because I live in Qld, Aus (where snow is non-existent!!)

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't have any useful information to offer, but welcome! We're happy to have you! (How do you pronounce Qld?)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for replying. I ski at Big Sky. I started skiing 5 yrs ago (I had a few lessons when I first started). But I don't get the opportunity to ski as much as I'd like because I live in Qld, Aus (where snow is non-existent!!)
So where do you plan to use the Yumi only at Big Sky? When is your next trip?

Paging @Skisailor . She is an instructor at Big Sky so knows the snow conditions there well.

Bethany

Diva in Training
So where do you plan to use the Yumi only at Big Sky? When is your next trip?

Paging @Skisailor . She is an instructor at Big Sky so knows the snow conditions there well.

Oh thank you. My next trip is late January! So I've still got a bit of time to think about ski length before I go.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will be at Big Sky end of January. What are your dates? Also, I think the 161 might be good for you. This length will give you a bit more stability on those groomed runs.

Bethany

Diva in Training
I will be at Big Sky end of January. What are your dates? Also, I think the 161 might be good for you. This length will give you a bit more stability on those groomed runs.

I'll be there from 25 Jan - 12 Feb. Yes, I thought that would be the case. Keeping in mind that I ski at a moderate pace (not super fast!) and that I'm on the lighter side for my height, do you think the 154 would provide me with enough stability?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone,

I'll be there from 25 Jan - 12 Feb. Yes, I thought that would be the case. Keeping in mind that I ski at a moderate pace (not super fast!) and that I'm on the lighter side for my height, do you think the 154 would provide me with enough stability?

Might help to know what skis you have been renting. How long were they?

I can see why you have gotten mixed advice from the ski shops. I'm a few pounds lighter but several inches shorter than you are. When I was an intermediate about 10 years ago, 154cm was a good length at that width generally. But I didn't particularly enjoy Volkl skis in general. Even as an advanced skier (retired and been skiing a lot lately) I didn't enjoy the Yumi @154. But there are a lot of Divas who really like them.

For skiing groomed runs with manmade snow, which is pretty much all that exists anywhere within driving distance of where I live, I use skis that are 10mm narrower and 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis that are 88 underfoot. Big Sky groomers are mostly natural snow by late January so mid-80s makes good sense.

Bethany

Diva in Training
Might help to know what skis you have been renting. How long were they?

I can see why you have gotten mixed advice from the ski shops. I'm a few pounds lighter but several inches shorter than you are. When I was an intermediate about 10 years ago, 154cm was a good length at that width generally. But I didn't particularly enjoy Volkl skis in general. Even as an advanced skier (retired and been skiing a lot lately) I didn't enjoy the Yumi @154. But there are a lot of Divas who really like them.

For skiing groomed runs with manmade snow, which is pretty much all that exists anywhere within driving distance of where I live, I use skis that are 10mm narrower and 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis that are 88 underfoot. Big Sky groomers are mostly natural snow by late January so mid-80s makes good sense.

Thanks for your advice. My last set of rental skis were Head Shape Rx and only 149cm. I have to say they definitely felt a bit too short!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Hi Bethany!

So good to see another Big Sky skier on the board! There is so much to choosing ski length! You're a pretty lightweight skier - so the Yumi seems like a good choice since it is a relatively soft ski that is easy to flex. I think the 161 would probably be a good choice, because we have a lot of ungroomed runs at Big Sky. So having a little more ski under you when you venture off the groomers will likely be a plus. And even at the longer length, the Yumi is a forgiving ski that should still be easy to ski on the groomed runs or in firmer conditions. I know you said you like groomed runs, but it's pretty hard to avoid skiing at least some ungroomed snow here at Big Sky. That said, our groomers tend to be soft, natural snow because there are very few runs where we blow the manmade stuff. The snowmaking is really quite limited for a resort of this size.

We're off to a great start this season! Good coverage and lots of terrain open. We've had a string of sunny days recently, but it looks like we will be getting back to a snowier pattern starting this weekend. Please look me up at the ski school when you arrive and say hi!!

mustski

Angel Diva
I believe you would be smarter to go for the longer ski in this case. I am not familiar with the Head Shape RX but if the 149 felt a bit short, then the 154 Yumis are likely to as well. You will adjust quickly to the 161, and you won't have to worry about outgrowing your skis before you are ready to invest in a new pair.

Bethany

Diva in Training
Hi Bethany!

So good to see another Big Sky skier on the board! There is so much to choosing ski length! You're a pretty lightweight skier - so the Yumi seems like a good choice since it is a relatively soft ski that is easy to flex. I think the 161 would probably be a good choice, because we have a lot of ungroomed runs at Big Sky. So having a little more ski under you when you venture off the groomers will likely be a plus. And even at the longer length, the Yumi is a forgiving ski that should still be easy to ski on the groomed runs or in firmer conditions. I know you said you like groomed runs, but it's pretty hard to avoid skiing at least some ungroomed snow here at Big Sky. That said, our groomers tend to be soft, natural snow because there are very few runs where we blow the manmade stuff. The snowmaking is really quite limited for a resort of this size.

We're off to a great start this season! Good coverage and lots of terrain open. We've had a string of sunny days recently, but it looks like we will be getting back to a snowier pattern starting this weekend. Please look me up at the ski school when you arrive and say hi!!

Wow thanks for all your input. Can't wait to get out there again! Yeah for sure!

Also, some extra info speed wise - my average speed is around 16mph....would that still be fast enough to make the 161 the better option?

Bethany

Diva in Training
I believe you would be smarter to go for the longer ski in this case. I am not familiar with the Head Shape RX but if the 149 felt a bit short, then the 154 Yumis are likely to as well. You will adjust quickly to the 161, and you won't have to worry about outgrowing your skis before you are ready to invest in a new pair.

Yes that's definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks for the advice.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Wow thanks for all your input. Can't wait to get out there again! Yeah for sure!

Also, some extra info speed wise - my average speed is around 16mph....would that still be fast enough to make the 161 the better option?

Yes. I think the Yumi will probably be a more versatile ski for you at 161.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have similar stats as you, a few more pounds now. I demo'd the 161 Yumi last January and liked it so much, I was ready to buy the demo ski right then. :smile: (I opted out only because it was similar to 2 other skis in my collection, but I'm kind of sorry now?) It will be fine at lower speeds. Very compliant, happy ski.

Bethany

Diva in Training
I have similar stats as you, a few more pounds now. I demo'd the 161 Yumi last January and liked it so much, I was ready to buy the demo ski right then. :smile: (I opted out only because it was similar to 2 other skis in my collection, but I'm kind of sorry now?) It will be fine at lower speeds. Very compliant, happy ski.

Thanks so much for your insight - much appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna