• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Volkl Kiku 154's

CMaryP

Diva in Training
Hi Diva's,

Need some advice on brand new 2011/2012 Kiku's I've found on a German Website for only 200EU incl marker squire bindings! I'm a complete sucker for a deal, but the only problem is they are only available in 154cms. I'm about 5ft 3 and weigh 110lbs. I would say i'm an advanced skier who can carve and ski anything, but get a little nervous on the very steep powder/tree runs, but can do it, and have a few lessons a year to keep up technically too. I ski on 2011/2012 Volkl Aura 156, so would i even need the kiku's!? I do want to get more confident off piste in some deep pow, and im wandering if the kikus will help me. I've noticed a lot of you ski on much longer ski's, which made me wander if the kiku's would be too short for me, my 156 Auras i find are perfect for me as an all mountain ski. Basically i just wanted your advice on whether the deal is totally worth it, and i should just get them for those days when i can get out and enjoy fresh powder, or if they're just too short, which is why they are so cheap! Also anyone who's got some experience with the Kiku 2012?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
How often do you hit true powder? I've been skiing an Aura 156 which is super in the powder, but treated myself to the Kiku for true dump days. Didn't take them at all last year, wah.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is shipping included?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you're right in the ball park for the 154 Kiku. I haven't skied the rockered Kiku yet (mine just got mounted last month) but I do ski the even wider Shiro in a 173 while my Auras are 177. There have only been a couple of times where I wish I'd gotten the Shiro in the 183 instead, but in general, the slightly shorter length with the subtle rocker just makes them fun, fun, FUN.

Even though the Aura and Kiku seem similar in width, I think you'll find there's very little overlap in feel since the Aura is a really fat carver with 2 layers of metal that does well in powder, while the metal-free and rockered Kiku is a powder ski that does well on the groomers. The width and rocker will make you feel like a superstar in powder and trees!!

Oh, and the "saving them for powder days" is just silly unless you're constantly on ice. The Kiku should be perfectly on groomer days - in fact, the Shiro has been my go-to ski for 2 years now, and it's 119 underfoot.

mustski

Angel Diva
I will be the "devil's advocate" here. Do the Auras feel like the right length to you? If they do, then the Kikus are going to feel too short. If anything, you want something a little longer in powder. Since these are 2 skis for the same manufacturer ... I would guess shorter is a problem in this case.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I will be the "devil's advocate" here. Do the Auras feel like the right length to you? If they do, then the Kikus are going to feel too short. If anything, you want something a little longer in powder. Since these are 2 skis for the same manufacturer ... I would guess shorter is a problem in this case.
Maybe I need that 154 Kiku…. I'm 5'1 and 100 lbs……..

CMaryP

Diva in Training
Thank you for all your help, I definitely would love to feel like a super star in the powder and trees! I only get to ski around 2/3 weeks in a season in the alps (I say only but I count myself pretty lucky!) don't get much snow here in the uk! So it's just luck of the draw when I go out there and I just hope I get some big dump days! I suppose I could just get them and just sell them on if I felt they were just too short or they didn't suit me! They do sound like a lot of fun!

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly