• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Too much snow in the Pyrenees - what tha...?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Ladies

It's maddening, but resorts in the Pyrenees are crying about having too much snow and are closing lots of runs. One place with 2.4 meter base (1.5 meters new snow) only had 15 of 55 runs open yesterday - and it is the place I am going this weekend! I hope they open more, there is a serious powder alert.

Part of it is that given the temperature changes and huge dumps there is avy danger - but come on - it is a ski resort! Blow some charges and let us ski!!!!! My Kikus want to play!

Anyone else suffer from this in the past?

altagirl

Staff member
Every time we have a big storm. It always takes a while for avalanche control to catch up.

For us, it becomes part of the fun as terrain opens gradually. Plus, it's not worth the risk.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I certainly don't want to die (and some people have died in the past weeks) but I just want them to get cracking! It is rare here that there is so much snow to cause this sort of issue so we are not used to it. I needed to be able to whine about it...

mustski

Angel Diva
I certainly don't want to die (and some people have died in the past weeks) but I just want them to get cracking! It is rare here that there is so much snow to cause this sort of issue so we are not used to it. I needed to be able to whine about it...
Fair enough! Whine away! We SoCal divas have certainly done our share of whining over too little snow. Anything that keeps us from skiing is a curse!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not uncommon. Especially if powder comes with strong winds, there were days when resort was closed completely for a day because of snow, there were days when only 2 runs were open. Most areas in Chamonix may close due to snow apart from Les Houches but unless you anticipated it and headed there very early you can forget about it as the whole valley would be there in the queue.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Not so normal here as it apparently is in the bigger ranges...and I don't remember it so often from Germany/Austria, though I know it happened a couple of times recently.

In any case - I was in two different resorts this weekend. The first had some runs not open simply because there was far too much snow under the lifts and they had not yet dug them out. The other closed completely for a day or two at the end of the week - but there the full infrastructure was buried - even the run markers were not visible. It is also sort of a bowl-like approach and the good thing is that this is a place that keeps many "runs" or "faces" unprepared, so there was wide open off-piste today, even on-piste. The tough thing is that it was pretty warm and it rained a bit, so the meter-deep "powder" quickly got very heavy.

The most impressive today was seeing (and hearing) the constant avalanches on the facing mountain (not a ski area) - little ones and big ones both.

It was a great weekend regardless!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We had lot of terrain closed today - basically all the top sector and links with other valleys, only one main run was open and couple side runs. The avalanche risk went up overnight from 2 to 4-5, lot of new snow higher up and strong winds. Still good fun despite limited skiing - it felt like a great adventure because we couldn't see where we were going on very familiar slopes and could hardly see each other if someone would ski further than 10m ahead.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Yes it is amazing how a huge dump can really change the appearance/layout of a place - at least for me

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly