• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tofurkey

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does stuffed squash reheat easily? Or would I make the stuffing part ahead and then reheat it and roast the squash separately on the day of? This may all turn out to be a disaster but I guess we'll see . . .

I recently bought stuffed quarters of acorn squash at Whole Foods, they are on the right in the picture. It was delicious with quinoa, pistachios, dried cranberries, greens, chickpeas etc. When bought the squash wasn't cooked but the stuffing portion was, we stuck them on a grill in an aluminum pan to cook the squash and heat the stuffing. This was during a tailgate, it was an easy and awesome addition to the rest of the meal. So I'd think if you prepared the stuffing portion ahead of time, it'd be an easy thing to use your grill for on the day of for heating that and cooking the squash, therefore alleviating the use of space in your kitchen. I'd say we probably heated on the grill for around an hour, but it's easy to check for readiness along the way.

Attachments

• Acord Squash.JPG
    Acord Squash.JPG
    274.7 KB · Views: 9

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In all seriousness, if a local grocery store or the food coop has prepared veggie/vegan entrees, I'd order/pick something up from there and heat it up day of so that you can minimize the work you need to do.

I would vote for stuffed squash, though, if you have to make from scratch. It'll reheat easily. And rather than traditional stuffing, I'd do a warm kale, quinoa, cranberry thing. Quinoa has pretty decent protein content.

Jenny

Angel Diva
In all seriousness, if a local grocery store or the food coop has prepared veggie/vegan entrees, I'd order/pick something up from there and heat it up day of so that you can minimize the work you need to do.

I would vote for stuffed squash, though, if you have to make from scratch. It'll reheat easily. And rather than traditional stuffing, I'd do a warm kale, quinoa, cranberry thing. Quinoa has pretty decent protein content.
I'm headed to the vegan restaurant deli tomorrow - seems like a couple of their salads could be warmed up and stuffed into the squash. Then all I have to do is recognize them in the store, buy, slice in half, and roast. Probably something I can handle. Wish we had a Whole Foods though.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just another idea...because after 3 pages, I'm not sure if you have enough...

Vegetarian lasagna is generally good, easy to make ahead of time and more than just vegetarians will normally eat it. My husband's family is very Italian, and always has an Italian dish (or 2) to go along with the 300 other dishes being served at Thanksgiving...so figured even without being Italian (not sure if you are), lasagna can always be a hit.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Oh, and I got over my reluctance to ask for special favors at work (because I'd rather worry about stuff unnecessarily) and the Chef is going to make me some Wild Mushroom Ratatouille - we catered a wedding last week that had it, and there's one this next week, so he's just going to make some extra - yay!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Yeah, I even checked out the online deli sections of the Harvest Health, D&W, and Horrock's to see if any of them had what I had in mind. I know. Slightly creepy.
Did you find Kingma's? Or Fulton Street Market (can't remember if they have just the Farmer's Market or a regular one, too).

mustski

Angel Diva
I made a delicious cranberry sauce last year, I think it was. A recipe that @mustski posted or shared on FB, IIRC.

I can't afford the calories of making that again.
Oh yes you can! It's just once or twice a year.

Here it is y'all... and it's the best! For the record, I usually make it without the Grand Marnier, but may try Brandy this year.

Orange Cranberry Sauce

Yields 10 servings

Ingredients

• 12 oz. fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup water
1-2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)

• 1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions

1. 1.Combine orange juice, water and both sugars in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. 2.Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are completely dissolved.
  3. 3.Reduce heat to a simmer and add cranberries

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have a lot of good suggestions. As a vegetarian, the new perspective I have to offer is a recommendation to NOT serve the Tofurky ball. It's not good, and there are SO many better vegetarian food choices for Thanksgiving.

Jenny

Angel Diva
You have a lot of good suggestions. As a vegetarian, the new perspective I have to offer is a recommendation to NOT serve the Tofurky ball. It's not good, and there are SO many better vegetarian food choices for Thanksgiving.
Well, like I said, she specifically mentioned it so I bought it. Maybe she was being a smarty-pants, but the joke's on her now! If nothing else, they can cut it up and mix it in with the vegan stuffing she's bringing, or one of the salads maybe.

Just remembered this morning while talking with my sister that one of the other nieces is extremely picky about what she eats. And I understand, I was picky too, but I wasn't indulged in quite the same way she is either. At any rate, she may just get spaghetti. Or yogurt. She's not at all adventurous, so I'm sure none of the other specials I have will be of any interest to her either. I'm honestly not sure how she even stays alive.

Soujan

Angel Diva
Stay away from tofurkey at all costs! Made it one year and it was terrible. Did stuffed acorn squash one year and it was good. That whole foods one sounds good. I'm going to have to try it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly