• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tofurkey

Christy

Angel Diva
You're awfully nice to accommodate them (but I already knew you were awfully nice). In general I'd be with @geargrrl in suggesting that they bring something, and it sounds like you have at least a side dish; if you know nothing else is forthcoming and want to make the effort I'd just try to do one nice thing that everyone can eat that happens to be vegan. I love the idea of stuffed squash--that sounds like a showstopper.

I LOVE the Thanksgiving section that the NY Times does. They have a lot of vegan recipes.
https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692-nyt-cooking/1878874-vegan-thanksgiving

Or if you haven't asked the other guests already, I'd reach out and say something like, "we'll have X and Y vegan things at the dinner. Just wanted to give you a head's up." I was vegan for a bit (and vegetarian for years) and I wouldn't have ever expected anyone to cook to my preferences. It is also an opening for them to say, "I'll bring Z."

Jenny

Angel Diva
You're awfully nice to accommodate them (but I already knew you were awfully nice).
Aw, shucks, aren't you sweet?!

It's funny that one of the vegans is my extremely carnivorous brother's daughter, but she grew up with her mother so I guess he didn't rub off on her that way. In some other ways though, she is definitely his!

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
That's awesome of you to be so accommodating! As someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy products, I usually bring one or two dishes myself. I'd rather not bother the host with preparation and I figure I would just bring something I know I can fill up on anyways.

Ideas:
- sweet potato casserole
- green bean and mushroom casserole
- stuffed acorn squash with quinoa, greens, chickpeas, etc
- lentil and mushroom "loaf" or casserole perhaps
- butternut squash soup or butternut squash sauce with pasta

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What on earth is Nutrituional Yeast - in an ingredient list.

It's an umami thing. Weirdly, it gives me extremely painful gas and bloating. Took me a while to figure that one out!

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I like the roasted cauliflower or stuffed acorn squash idea. You could have it premade and just reheat it. Fill it with rice or quinoa, lentils, cranberries, nuts, mushrooms, or anything else that seems seasonal, haha.

I actually haven't tried Tofurkey. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods but I have made a tofu ricotta before that I have used in a lasagna last Thanksgiving.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
It's an umami thing. Weirdly, it gives me extremely painful gas and bloating. Took me a while to figure that one out!

Woah, that's crazy! I'm glad you figured out out why! Do other foods that have umami flavor do that?

I've made a vegan "Parmesan cheese" that is just blended nutritional yeast, cashews, salt, and garlic powder. I have sometimes sprinkled it on stuffed acorn squash.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I like the roasted cauliflower or stuffed acorn squash idea. You could have it premade and just reheat it. Fill it with rice or quinoa, lentils, cranberries, nuts, mushrooms, or anything else that seems seasonal, haha.

I actually haven't tried Tofurkey. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods but I have made a tofu ricotta before that I have used in a lasagna last Thanksgiving.
Does stuffed squash reheat easily? Or would I make the stuffing part ahead and then reheat it and roast the squash separately on the day of? This may all turn out to be a disaster but I guess we'll see . . .

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
Does stuffed squash reheat easily? Or would I make the stuffing part ahead and then reheat it and roast the squash separately on the day of? This may all turn out to be a disaster but I guess we'll see . . .

I would probably cook everything you want for the filling and roast the squash separately ahead of time. The day of, you can probably just stuff the squash, cover with foil and reheat until squash is warm.

You should be fine! You're being very accommodating with all the side dishes as well so it will be the opposite of a disaster! Maybe I will just join you for Thanksgiving with all those options :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jenny , you are being so generous. Truly. After more than a decade, my mom still can't always figure out whether something has gluten or not. You're really great.

Do other foods that have umami flavor do that?

Fortunately, no! I'm fine with tamari and parmesan. I'm honestly even fine with soy sauce (which has wheat), but I avoid it just to avoid tipping the scales.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and suggestions.

@bounceswoosh - If my ex-SIL hadn't divorced my brother last year, we'd be dealing with gluten free, too. So, silver linings!

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes, just so you have closure . . . At least it's not actually on the holiday. Worst comes to worst (or should one of those be worse?) we run to the store and pick up some black bean burgers!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and suggestions.

@bounceswoosh - If my ex-SIL hadn't divorced my brother last year, we'd be dealing with gluten free, too. So, silver linings!

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes, just so you have closure . . . At least it's not actually on the holiday. Worst comes to worst (or should one of those be worse?) we run to the store and pick up some black bean burgers!

I think you'll wow them!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I did gluten free + dairy free one year, with the caveat that Ghee (clarified butter) was okay - and I didn't deal with dessert. I think it can be fun, but as I recall I also took that Wednesday off from work so I could prep stuff ahead of time. I love cooking when I have the time, but I hate feeling rushed.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What on earth is Nutrituional Yeast - in an ingredient list.
that is something vegans eat for vitamin B12. To me it tastes like fake cheese. It's usually sprinkled on dishes.
Also used for gravy. Treat it like it's mushroom flavoring, adds "umami" flavor.

Dried shiitake mushrooms also make a great gravy; better if you also add oyster mushrooms. Make stock with some bouquet garni, and thicken with a little cornstarch.

Sounds like you have a plan, but for future reference.

I would grill or roast the tofurkey, if that's what they requested, and serve with nutritional yeast gravy or navy bean soup as gravy. Honestly, though, tofurkey is something that only ex-meat-eaters want for the first one or two Thanksgivings of veganhood.

Grilled portobello cap is easier and a far superior center dish; marinade with balsamic vinegar and garlic, and broil. Serve with steak knives, and even the die-hard carnivores will eat it. You can make gravy out of the stems. If you can get fresh shiitake, boil them lightly, then grill or broil, no seasoning needed, and serve them with the portobello; too expensive to make a meal just with them.

Another good meaty, yummy dish is deep-fried tofu--press the water out of the tofu first, then slice 3/8" thick, fry in corn oil until golden and chewy, serve with soy sauce with garlic, minced scallion, and vinegar, maybe some minced ginger. Or inari sushi; serve with soy sauce on the side, maybe with a drop of vinegar. Use some wild rice for luxurious texture.

I've served baked tofu, too. Press, then bake until warm inside. If you round out the corners, and wrap it in whole-wheat seitan dough, then bake, it almost looks like a cornish game hen, and tastes like it, too.

If you are bringing out the grill, you can grill 3/8-inch slices of yams or sweet potatoes, or both. Serve with soy sauce or balsamic vinegar on the side. Or, you can mash the grilled slices—top with a little malt syrup, if available, or maple syrup, and only the traditionalists will insist on the mashed potatoes.

You can "pickle" some daikon radish, by slicing them 1/4" thick, salt them, and leave them on a plate, without any overlapping, with a pool of vinegar. Turn the radish slices over after 10 minutes, and it's ready to serve. You can add sliced carrots.

Another winner that is Thanksgiving-worthy is roasted bell peppers. Quarter and de-seed the peppers. Broil them skin-side up until the skin starts to burn and smoke. Slice them into 3/8" strips, skin and all. Toss with enough olive oil to coat. Toss with balsamic vinegar to taste. Chill. The juice that forms will slightly slimy, and can be used like gravy, especially grilled sweet potatoes. You can do something similar with Roma tomatoes.

Hummus almost never fails with vegans. Serve with crunchy toasted bread or roasted vegetables. If you want to really rock the boat, serve hummus and tahini instead of mashed potatoes.

Consider making your own cranberry sauce if fresh cranberries are available. Really easy; use less water than recipes usually ask for, like maybe half as much as needed to cover the berries, and try about half as much sugar as the recipe asks for. Add a little cloves and orange zest. Using real maple syrup instead of half the sugar makes the flavor more complex.

For dessert, you can make shortbreads, substituting palm oil for butter, and then adding some water until the consistency is right. Add some extra sugar for better browning. Halva loaves are also good desserts (read the ingredients, as sometimes they add eggs); with or without chocolate, sometimes with pistachios. Try serving plain old white rice with some real maple syrup or sugar syrup flavored with saffron and/or orange zest. Sorbets are usually vegan. You can also make pumpkin pie by just baking or boiling the pumpkin, smashing it, cooking it while adding a little water water, sugar, and pumpkin spice to taste, and then baking in a shell with some sugar sprinkled on top. If you have a brulée torch, use it for any of these.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Grilled portobello cap is easier and a far superior center dish; marinade with balsamic vinegar and garlic, and broil. Serve with steak knives, and even the die-hard carnivores will eat it.

I have never developed an appreciation for portobello cap. Something about the texture ... (die-hard carnivore here, or as I call it, meat-etarian)

Consider making your own cranberry sauce if fresh cranberries are available. Really easy; use less water than recipes usually ask for, like maybe half as much as needed to cover the berries, and try about half as much sugar as the recipe asks for. Add a little cloves and orange zest. Using real maple syrup instead of half the sugar makes the flavor more complex.

Yes! I've made my own the last couple of years. My mom, after seeing how easy it is, swore she'd never do canned again. It is *so* easy - and can be made ahead. It's also my favorite part of Thanksgiving! (You can keep the turkey, except for soup purposes the day after!)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Also used for gravy. Treat it like it's mushroom flavoring, adds "umami" flavor.

Dried shiitake mushrooms also make a great gravy; better if you also add oyster mushrooms. Make stock with some bouquet garni, and thicken with a little cornstarch.

Sounds like you have a plan, but for future reference.

I would grill or roast the tofurkey, if that's what they requested, and serve with nutritional yeast gravy or navy bean soup as gravy. Honestly, though, tofurkey is something that only ex-meat-eaters want for the first one or two Thanksgivings of veganhood.

Grilled portobello cap is easier and a far superior center dish; marinade with balsamic vinegar and garlic, and broil. Serve with steak knives, and even the die-hard carnivores will eat it. You can make gravy out of the stems. If you can get fresh shiitake, boil them lightly, then grill or broil, no seasoning needed, and serve them with the portobello; too expensive to make a meal just with them.

Another good meaty, yummy dish is deep-fried tofu--press the water out of the tofu first, then slice 3/8" thick, fry in corn oil until golden and chewy, serve with soy sauce with garlic, minced scallion, and vinegar, maybe some minced ginger. Or inari sushi; serve with soy sauce on the side, maybe with a drop of vinegar. Use some wild rice for luxurious texture.

I've served baked tofu, too. Press, then bake until warm inside. If you round out the corners, and wrap it in whole-wheat seitan dough, then bake, it almost looks like a cornish game hen, and tastes like it, too.

If you are bringing out the grill, you can grill 3/8-inch slices of yams or sweet potatoes, or both. Serve with soy sauce or balsamic vinegar on the side. Or, you can mash the grilled slices—top with a little malt syrup, if available, or maple syrup, and only the traditionalists will insist on the mashed potatoes.

You can "pickle" some daikon radish, by slicing them 1/4" thick, salt them, and leave them on a plate, without any overlapping, with a pool of vinegar. Turn the radish slices over after 10 minutes, and it's ready to serve. You can add sliced carrots.

Another winner that is Thanksgiving-worthy is roasted bell peppers. Quarter and de-seed the peppers. Broil them skin-side up until the skin starts to burn and smoke. Slice them into 3/8" strips, skin and all. Toss with enough olive oil to coat. Toss with balsamic vinegar to taste. Chill. The juice that forms will slightly slimy, and can be used like gravy, especially grilled sweet potatoes. You can do something similar with Roma tomatoes.

Hummus almost never fails with vegans. Serve with crunchy toasted bread or roasted vegetables. If you want to really rock the boat, serve hummus and tahini instead of mashed potatoes.

For dessert, you can make shortbreads, substituting palm oil for butter, and then adding some water until the consistency is right. Add some extra sugar for better browning. Halva loaves are also good desserts (read the ingredients, as sometimes they add eggs); with or without chocolate, sometimes with pistachios. Try serving plain old white rice with some real maple syrup or sugar syrup flavored with saffron and/or orange zest. Sorbets are usually vegan. You can also make pumpkin pie by just baking or boiling the pumpkin, smashing it, cooking it while adding a little water water, sugar, and pumpkin spice to taste, and then baking in a shell with some sugar sprinkled on top. If you have a brulée torch, use it for any of these.
Thanks for all the ideas - had not thought of hummus yet, nor sorbet . . .

newboots

Angel Diva
I love cooking with cranberries. My father's Thanksgiving special was cranberry-orange relish - just roughly equal amounts of each (leaving skin on all or most of the oranges) in the blender with sugar to taste. Totally fabulous.

My healthy-alternative to adding marshmallows to sweet potatoes is mashing them according to your favorite method, and sprinkling pomegranate seeds on top. So pretty! Everybody raves and doesn't complain about the lack of marshmallows.

Keepur

Certified Ski Diva
I did gluten free + dairy free one year, with the caveat that Ghee (clarified butter) was okay - and I didn't deal with dessert. I think it can be fun, but as I recall I also took that Wednesday off from work so I could prep stuff ahead of time. I love cooking when I have the time, but I hate feeling rushed.

I'm with you! I like cooking but get very anxious so being rushed is not good for me, and the easier the dish the better. I like being prepared the day before.

I like bringing a side dish and a dessert (I have a sweet tooth). I have made pumpkin pie, cookies, pumpkin bread....

Yes! I've made my own the last couple of years. My mom, after seeing how easy it is, swore she'd never do canned again. It is *so* easy - and can be made ahead. It's also my favorite part of Thanksgiving! (You can keep the turkey, except for soup purposes the day after!)

I love cooking with cranberries. My father's Thanksgiving special was cranberry-orange relish - just roughly equal amounts of each (leaving skin on all or most of the oranges) in the blender with sugar to taste. Totally fabulous.

My healthy-alternative to adding marshmallows to sweet potatoes is mashing them according to your favorite method, and sprinkling pomegranate seeds on top. So pretty! Everybody raves and doesn't complain about the lack of marshmallows.

I may be crazy... I have never had cranberry sauce. Guess I will need to make that soon! When I ate meat, turkey was always my least favorite part anyways. I love sweet potatoes though!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna