• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Today was a bad day...

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I skied for the first time in about 15 years today and it did not go well. The Italian Alps are much more difficult to ski than most mountains I have experienced from a trail marking stand point. I somehow accidentally got off a blue piste on to a red one. The first part of the red was fine, it was a bit narrow and twisty but so far so good, then it opened up to a super steep drop off. I freaked out because after all this time I am really scared of speed. I ended up sliding parallel down the mountain. It took forever because my lead foot kept cramping up.

I got to a more chill part and was fine again but then I got on the wrong gondola and went to the wrong base camp. I don't know if this is going to come back to me. The runs here seem either babypark or very steep and challenging. Ugh.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I restarted after a 10 year hiatus and it took me about 2 days to not feel like a complete and total dorky failure. You are way ahead of me, hang in there!

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
bounceswoosh I think has a great idea. Even a group lesson at your level. It is some like riding a bike, but after 15 years, you're on different equipment than you had before. There are nuances that you might not realize to skiing on shaped skis.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would say a group lesson is just fine for this. If you have money to burn, then, sure, go luxury - go private =)

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to suggest an instructor as well. It will make your reintroduction much less scary and it wouldn't take much to get you back on your feet and confident enough to navigate around the mountain! Sorry you had a rough first day, hopefully your future days only get better from here!

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies! I will see about a lesson here tomorrow. We did a private for the kids and it was only €40 so not bad.

I also think that we focused too much on picking something great for the littles and neglected my needs. This mountain has almost all red and black runs. There are a few blues but I was just looking at the map and they don't really connect. It's basically red pistes or the babypark.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh also, I have retained some things at least because I slip slided down the steep section pretty good so I was able to go from edges to flat. I just freaked out trying to slow down with big wide C turns.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh also, I have retained some things at least because I slip slided down the steep section pretty good so I was able to go from edges to flat. I just freaked out trying to slow down with big wide C turns.

Edge control is a good sign. I also have trouble slowing down with big wide C turns. Side slipping (the US term for what you're describing, if I understand you correctly) is a great way to get down something intimidating while keeping your speed down. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not as fun as skiing more fluidly. The instructor can help with that.

Cyprissa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Today was so much better! I skied with my husband all morning and found a chill, long roller which was perfect practice. I did really well on it and was able to make parallel turns. We also did a steeper red run three times. I did ok, traversing back and forth and keeping control but reverted to snow plow a lot more than I would like. I just kept getting nervous when I picked up any speed.

I couldn't get into an English group lesson today but when we get back to our area, I'm going to do some midweek lessons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna