• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for Taos

Jenny

Angel Diva
Anything special I should know while planning our trip? We're looking at the last week of February - flying into ABQ on Saturday, visiting my mom and aunt for a couple of days, and then driving up either Sunday evening or Monday morning. We'd then stay and ski through Friday, then back to ABQ and fly out on Sunday. Mom's car that we could use is a Prius; is that even feasible?

I know nothing about the place and am just now starting to think about looking, so any info is welcome!

marzNC

Angel Diva
If I went to Taos for a week, would probably sign up for a Ski Week. Something like 6 daily lessons with the same instructor for a really good price, $250?

Christy

Angel Diva
Anything special I should know while planning our trip? We're looking at the last week of February - flying into ABQ on Saturday, visiting my mom and aunt for a couple of days, and then driving up either Sunday evening or Monday morning. We'd then stay and ski through Friday, then back to ABQ and fly out on Sunday. Mom's car that we could use is a Prius; is that even feasible?

I know nothing about the place and am just now starting to think about looking, so any info is welcome!

All the taxis in Whistler and Priuses and they do great on compact snow/ice (and Whistler has some lodging up very steep hills) but the cars have snow tires. I learned the hard way how low the clearance on them is when I ripped a piece underneath off mine in slush, so don't try to go over any snowbanks. Even if they are mini. We have chains for ours.

I don't know anything about the slopeside lodging options--maybe they are great and worth staying in--but Taos is one place I'd personally want to stay in town rather than at the mountain. It is such a charming town and there are great restaurants, and I wouldn't at all mind the half hour drive in order to be there (I've been a couple time in fall but not in ski season).

Jenny

Angel Diva
I needed to feel like I was making some progress and the dates/times were important to lock in. Now I have to monitor the rates to see if they go down. We're on Southwest, so changing shouldn't be an issue - although I've never tried to do it, either.

I do like the planning stage . . .

marzNC

Angel Diva
I needed to feel like I was making some progress and the dates/times were important to lock in. Now I have to monitor the rates to see if they go down. We're on Southwest, so changing shouldn't be an issue - although I've never tried to do it, either.
I do like the planning stage . . .
Changing a SW flight is pretty straightforward, assuming all the tickets are on the same reservation and made online. You had to use a credit within a year of the original booking date, not the flight date.

One time my daughter flew separately to SLC. It got complicated when I wanted to extend our stay at Alta by a couple days, but couldn't make a decision soon enough. I re-booked her ticket first, but a few minutes later there wasn't a seat at a reasonable price on the same flight. As it turned out, my re-booked flight went thru Denver and the storm was going to be even worse there. So SW let all Denver passengers know they could switch regardless of price if they would stay away from Denver. By then, it also looked like some people had delayed their SLC departure so getting on my daughter's flight was possible in any case.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'd forgotten that it was a year from the booking date - thanks for that reminder. And use means actually fly somewhere, not just rebook, right?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, you have to make that trip, not just rebook. I got caught in that misunderstanding one time, tried throwing myself at the mercy of Customer Service ... had to kiss those bucks goodbye.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna