• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for skiing on a rainy day?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmmm... I used to have water-proof neoprene biking gloves... Where could they be?
My gore-Tex gloves were soaking wet in the heavy wet snow blizzard today.. Still by the fire drying..

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOVE my Hot Buns!! Totally NOT a fashion statement. Since the only part of my lower body that gets cold is my butt, the Hot Buns allows me to keep that part of me toasty and dry, without having to try to squeeze extra layers in under my ski pants. They're especially good when it's raining or snowing to keep water from soaking through your pants.

Gore-Tex is a must-have in the rain, along with extra gloves/mittens, helmet with a visor (Giro G10MX), low-light goggle lens, and a coat with a hood that fits over your helmet.

Usually, once my mittens soak through, I've had enough for the day.

Hmmm, I wonder what it means that my butt is the only part of me that doesn't get cold. I guess my natural *padding* is useful for something!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
as mentioned above, foul weather gear used for sailing works well. Also, after one particularly wet day skiing in the rain, I bought rubber snowblower gloves, as my normal gloves soaked through in no time. The gloves are rubber or rubber-like material and have a soft lining.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So much for my studly credentials... the mountain is closed :shocked!: for 40ºF weather with torrential rain and winds up to 60 mph. I could go to another hill, but that takes more than an hour off actual skiing time on tamer slopes, so not quite worth it.

I will look into boot gloves; I've had a few days of cold feet and could have used them. Has anyone had any luck with tucking the elastic bands toward the back so they don't wear out so quickly?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm still not sure why anyone would choose to go in the rain; been there done that. Soft mucky snow can be downright dangerous.

Here's my hub's report for today. He unfortunately has ski patrol duty. I think he took a book for the bump shack today.

"
Wow. Exceptionally horrible skiing today. Anything not covered in rubber is soaked after one run down chair three. Foggy. Pouring rain. Windy. Big holes from the groomer. And it's supposed to get worse."

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm still not sure why anyone would choose to go in the rain; been there done that. Soft mucky snow can be downright dangerous.

Here's my hub's report for today. He unfortunately has ski patrol duty. I think he took a book for the bump shack today.

"
Wow. Exceptionally horrible skiing today. Anything not covered in rubber is soaked after one run down chair three. Foggy. Pouring rain. Windy. Big holes from the groomer. And it's supposed to get worse."

Some of us on the East Coast have to take what we can get sometimes. Last season if I didn't ski when it was raining, I wouldn't have skied at all!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

"
That says it all!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We skied in the snow-turned-to rain today and had a GREAT time! What started as 1" of heavy, wet, sticky powder and scraped-off groomers turned into fast, perfectly soft hero snow. I spent an inordinate time doing the Schlopy drill and making screaming railroad tracks on our wide open green run. :becky:

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hot Buns are great for cold rain/snow. For warmer temps I use an "apron" that I bought in Taos. Keeps the butt dry on the chair (i.e., no "swamp ass"). I skied in so much rain last year that I broke down and bought a Goretex shell this year. I hate to say it, but it has come in very handy. As someone else noted, if we aren't willing to ski in the rain here in the mid-Atlantic, we might not ski much at all. Honestly, though, I think skiing in the truly crappy conditions has helped make me a better skier.

newboots

Angel Diva
I skied slush one day at Okemo, and after it started to rain we took one run and called it a day. Droplets on the goggles, fog inside, and fog on the glasses. Of course, I was barely a skier, but I couldn't make it work in the slush at that time. Red wine and chocolate in the jacuzzi at the inn - my daughter's idea ("It's vaCAtion, Mom!"). She has good ideas.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A.k.a. teapot drill. Note that it's the inside-side arm forward, which is the reverse of pole-planting.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I went today in the rain. Thumbs up on Swix HF10BW overlayed with NotWax. Thumbs up on tape on boots. The helmet was mostly dry, amazingly. My regular GoreTex/insulated gloves worked better than the thinner pipe gloves.

The biggest challenge was visibility. The water droplets form fast and furious on the goggles, and my eyes kept trying to focus on them instead of the terrain.

Otherwise, it was actually a pretty awesome day. They groomed a couple of the blacks, which is like my favorite.

And,

I'm not sure about less insulation - depends how cold the rain is. If you have wool thermal underwear, that should stay warm even when wet.

Definitely could have used another midlayer. It was in the 40s (ºF), but it felt like the 20s!

Another tip: Avoid ungroomed snow...

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are keen to go out in the rain. I have only skied twice in the rain. The first time I was a novice skier and I had a lesson booked at Falls Creek in Australia so I had to go...it was an awfully miserable experience! Our Swiss instructor was wearing bright yellow dishwashing gloves over his regular ski ones, haha.

The other time I was in Whistler and had the same issues with my goggles...I was constantly wiping away the droplets - very frustrating. And when I came inside my jacket weighed a ton with all the water it held...took ages to dry in front of the fire.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I picked up a pro tip while attending the Womens Alpine adventures at Okemo.... there was a light rain forecasted and our instructor brought out a whole pile of baseball caps -- wear it under your helmet -- works like a CHARM! no more droplets on the goggles, less rain on your face. Amazing. Just that little bit of extra brim helped so much.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
baseball caps -- wear it under your helmet -- works like a CHARM!
Ah... They actually sell them at the lodge. Perhaps I will try it. My helmet might have come with a visor, too... Hmmm...

Our Swiss instructor was wearing bright yellow dishwashing gloves over his regular ski ones, haha.
Oh! That's a good idea. I have a huge pile of disposable rubber gloves I use for gardening, waxing, cleaning up after the puppy, etc.

I forgot to mention that I just wore my regular Gore-Tex-ish jacket with rubberized pants. The jacket stayed mostly dry inside; the outer layer was soaked, as were the inside of pockets, for some reason. The pants were great! Except they stick to the lift chair, and are quite a bit too big for me, giving me overall an awkward appearance as I got off the lift and hitched them up.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

A.k.a. teapot drill. Note that it's the inside-side arm forward, which is the reverse of pole-planting.
The part they don't often talk about is the outside hand should be pushing the outside hip forward HARD, and the inside hand needs to be forcefully "pushing the wall" forward (not just putting the hand/arm up) for the drill to really work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna