• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips for skiing on a rainy day?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like the next day I have off will be rainy on the mountain. I'm going anyway, and thought of a few things I could do to stay warm and happy. Any other suggestions?

- high-fluoro wax and/or NotWax
- tape over seams of boots
- white-out day goggle lens
- less insulation to soak up water: park gloves, base layer, and outer layer only
- spare clothes to change into for the way back

Of course, the last time torrential rain was forecast, it turned out to be a big dump of powder. I couldn't go regardless, but the few people who went apparently had a blast. :smile:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've had quite a few days over the years when it's dumping up the top of the mountain, but raining from half way down. My life has been immeasurably improved by a full outer layer of goretex. Can recommend having 2 pairs of waterproof, breathable outer mittens, with a couple of pairs of liners.

I'm not sure about less insulation - depends how cold the rain is. If you have wool thermal underwear, that should stay warm even when wet.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not worth buying, but for future reference:

* helmet with a visor, e.g., Smith Valence
* Hot Buns or equivalent to keep your seat dry, worn outside ski pants

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not worth buying, but for future reference:

* helmet with a visor, e.g., Smith Valence
* Hot Buns or equivalent to keep your seat dry, worn outside ski pants
Never in all my years skiing (40+) seen those...

Tvan

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier beat me to the garbage bag suggestion. I have one of the rubber goggle scrapers that you wear on your thumb...invaluable on rainy days. Can't remember what those are called, but my ski shop has them in a big jar by the cash register.

Jilly

Staff member
If you're a sailor or hiker - foul weather gear. I have a coaches raincoat. It looks like a poncho with sleeves. The CSIA sell them, but Descente has them at many shops.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have been tempted in the past to buy some of those cheap bright yellow pvc rain pants or bibs like construction workers wear in a size large enough to pull over my ski pants, but have yet to do so. I know I would be quite a sight, but my butt would stay dry!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I saw a couple just this weekend! And it wasn't even wet . . . so I guess they were a fashion statement. Or I guess they could help keep the bum warm, too.
Fashion statement???

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're a sailor or hiker - foul weather gear. I have a coaches raincoat. It looks like a poncho with sleeves. The CSIA sell them, but Descente has them at many shops.

I've skied in my old sailing foulies!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all the suggestions!!!

@KatyPerrey, I do have a rubberized something I used to bike in... I think... Not sure where... If I can't find it, plastic bags might have to do it.

@Tvan, I do have a Ski-Gee! I haven't used it lately because my gloves have a squeegee built in, so I'm glad you mentioned it, because I was going to wear another pair that don't!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Found them... They are like 20 years old, back when baggy sportswear was more the style...

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOVE my Hot Buns!! Totally NOT a fashion statement. Since the only part of my lower body that gets cold is my butt, the Hot Buns allows me to keep that part of me toasty and dry, without having to try to squeeze extra layers in under my ski pants. They're especially good when it's raining or snowing to keep water from soaking through your pants.

Gore-Tex is a must-have in the rain, along with extra gloves/mittens, helmet with a visor (Giro G10MX), low-light goggle lens, and a coat with a hood that fits over your helmet.

Usually, once my mittens soak through, I've had enough for the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna