• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Tiny Woman

rexfans

Diva in Training
I am 4'10", 110 lbs and 64 years old. I have been skiing for 30 years, including recreational racing 20 years ago. But I have only been skiing a few times a year the last few years. I was an advanced-intermediate to advanced skier but now ski more cautiously on groomed blues, a few easier blacks and off-piste only when conditions are good. My last skis were Olin DTVs (160s I think). I raced on Targa Rs 175s.
I live in the Pacific Northwest where it often rains and the snow gets really heavy (known as Cascade Concrete). It often then freezes up. I was looking at K2 Superfrees. They had last year's model in a 139. They seemed awfully short to me but the next size up was a 146 which I was afraid would be too much for me at this age.

I can't demo because of my size (my boots are 15 yr old Lange Jr. Racers in a 21, a size no longer available) I know that ski length is a matter of preference, but any suggestions and insights from other women about what might suit me best would be helpful. Thanks

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome!

I'm 5'2 and 105 lbs and my skis are in the 150-154 range. That said, I ski 60-80 days per season. I don't know anything about the Superfrees but have a ski sizing chart from Rossignol that goes by weight. In the non-rockered range they recommend a 146 for someone in your size range. In the Temptation series, which has some rocker, the lower models are shorter, 74-78, 136-144. I ski the 88 in a 154 and am on the lower cusp of the size range.

For several years I skied the K2 Lotta Luvs and I loved them. I also skied the Olin DTV's. They were my 1st women's skis and the first skis I loved.
I suggest waiting until you can demo and after you buy your skis take a lesson to learn how to ski them.

mustski

Angel Diva
First of all welcome! :grouphug: I am 5'2" and 135 lbs, 53 yrs old and have been skiing for 40 years. I ski a 156 on my carver and a 163 on my all mountain rockered ski. I grew up skiing 180 skinny skis, moved down to 170 and then to 160 during the 1990s. I think you would probably be better on the 146. The waist on the ski is only 76 (78?) which is relatively narrow so the bit of extra length will give you greater stability at speed and more edge on ice would be advantageous. I don't know much about the Superfrees. Maybe one of our PNW divas can chime in about what works best in your conditions. Christy, what do you think?

Jilly

Staff member
You need to meet up with SkiBam. Almost the same stats! I think she's an inch taller. 139 in that ski would be too short. I'm sure hers are 146 in the Rossi Attraxion 6.

I would be concerned about your boots. 15 year old plastic......This could a recipe for disaster. You will find that women's boots have come along way. And the smaller sizes are available, but you will not find them on sale.

As for the Superfree's, I have no working knowledge of K2's. No body in our area carry them. We're Atomic and Salomon as the Canadian warehouse is about 2 miles away from my home. And I ski Rossi, just because I can!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! Looks like the K2 Superfree has some rocker. That usually means getting a slightly longer length is fine. I'm 56, 5'0", 115 pounds, learned to ski on straight skis and starting skiing much more in the last decade. Ski black trails on trips out west that aren't too steep or narrow, no cliffs. When I demo skis with a rocker, I'll get 158-160cm. My Rossi Attraxion 8's are 154.

I have K2 One Luv in 146 that I got when I started skiing more. Feel short now but fine for little hills in the southeast. Once I knew more about skis, I found the K2 line wasn't the best for me. Rossi, Dynastar, Blizzard are what I look for when I demo these days.

Seems like you would do fine with the 146.

Christy

Angel Diva
I was an advanced-intermediate to advanced skier but now ski more cautiously on groomed blues, a few easier blacks and off-piste only when conditions are good.

Lol, that kind of describes me now. (Though I gained a lot of confidence last year). I ski the K2 Lotta Luvs and think they are perfect for the Cascades (they are not good on real hardpack/ice, but luckily we don't get a lot of those conditions). But my skis are a few years old. I'm hearing a lot of great things about the Blizzard Black Pearls for our conditions.

I'm ~7 pounds heavier than you and I ski 156s. I know some people like shorter skis but I found I had zero stability on them. I learned as an adult and my first pair of skis were 146s and I was always falling. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to get the 146s; the idea of 139s scares me. But again, that's just my own feeling.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi and welcome!

I'm 5'2 and 105 lbs and my skis are in the 150-154 range. That said, I ski 60-80 days per season. I don't know anything about the Superfrees but have a ski sizing chart from Rossignol that goes by weight. In the non-rockered range they recommend a 146 for someone in your size range. In the Temptation series, which has some rocker, the lower models are shorter, 74-78, 136-144. I ski the 88 in a 154 and am on the lower cusp of the size range.

For several years I skied the K2 Lotta Luvs and I loved them. I also skied the Olin DTV's. They were my 1st women's skis and the first skis I loved.
I suggest waiting until you can demo and after you buy your skis take a lesson to learn how to ski them.

I forgot to add I'm 64, too, ski Colorado in all kinds of conditions, including hardpack.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rexfans, You should really get new boots! Size 21 boots are available. Dalbello Chakra kr2 for 2012 has added a 21. And there are high-performance junior race boots as well. I use a Tecnica junior race in a 21 and it has and adult sole length which is critical when selecting adult skis.

I am a middle-aged skier myself, who arrived "late to the party" and am also pretty small. 5'2 90 pounds these days. I have been most successful using skis in the 150-156 range , and a twin-tip at 158. The 146 should be no problem with someone of your experience. This season should be a great one and will surely welcome you with plenty of opportunity!

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey! I have the Superfrees and love them. I too was between sizes and ended up getting a little shorter than what I thought would be ideal, but I've had no issues with stability. They ski really well, even at pretty good speeds. That said I do tend to go along with the others to favor a slightly longer ski for you. As the guy at my local ski shop said, "Skis can't see how tall you are." They just feel your weight.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
You need to meet up with SkiBam. Almost the same stats! I think she's an inch taller.

If I said I'm an inch taller, I must have lied! Almost exact stats though I'm a tiny bit lighter and a few years older. As Jilly said, I was on Attraxion 6 in a 146 and they were great. I've just bought (though haven't tried) Dynastar Legend Idyll in a 146, but they have some rocker so will seem a tiny big shorter. But I think they're gonna be okay (sure hope so).

Also, like Jilly said, take a look at your boots. Those sound awfully old. I have really small feet, but my boot soles are 269 which lets me rent and demo with no problem. If I were you, I'd seriously consider new boots as a first step.

I wouldn't go any shorter in the K2s than 146. If I were to buy them, that's what I'd get.

And by the way, welcome to the Ski Divas. Nice to have another "shortie" around.

rexfans

Diva in Training
Thank you all for your help. It's great to hear from other women and really helpful to hear from other smaller women too. I didn't think it would be possible to find new boots in my size.

B

B.E.G.

You can absolutely find smaller boots! It's just a bit more difficult, but there's fun in the hunt, right? :P I would look at junior race boots, which is what I have (I wear a US street size 4 for most things, a 3 for pumps, so I feel for ya).

A 139 would be way too short, IMO. I'm 5'1" and 105, and I ski a 156 (albeit a bit long). I would stay in the 140s. I demoed the Free Luv, non-rockered in 156 (an iteration or two before the Super Free) and loved that ski! So much fun and very, very zippy.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to give a shout out for the Dynastar Exclusive Legend (EL) Idyll. I'm 5' 1" approximately, with a weight in the low 90's (91 -93 lbs.). I have the 2011 Idylls in a 146, so camber, not rocker. The current Idylls (2012+ )have some rocker like SkiBam said. These are an incredibly versatile ski as far as ability range goes. I call myself an advancing intermediate (i.e. intermediate working towards advanced intermediate, although not quite there yet!), and I have no issue flexing and controlling these skis, yet they seem to not be easily over-skied by more advanced skiers. The Dynastar site lists them as a ski for Advanced skiers.

I can't help you with the boots at all. I have humongous feet for my size (23.5), so boots have been a fairly easy find for me (minus the fact that I can't seem to flex any of them... lol).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna