• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thoughts on skis for occasional touring?

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've found a few possibilities (i.e. bargains) in a local shop, but I can't find much relevant info, reviews etc on the internet, and was hoping someone here might have some experience with the skis I'm looking at.

What I'm after is all-mountainish skis that will cope with extremely variable NZ conditions, without being either too light or too heavy. I'm looking at a waist width of 95-100ish, because it seems like a useful width, and because I already have skis that are narrower and wider than that. I'm highly unlikely to ever do a multi-day backcountry trip (unless it's fully guided and catered, lol) -- most likely any touring I do will be limited to outside the ropes of whatever ski area. I'm an advanced skier, and can cope with most off-piste conditions, though prefer to avoid airtime. I'm also not that little (5ft8.5, 75kg) and generally tend to prefer burlier skis, often with metal in them, which I realise isn't that optimal for uphill travel. I have never been on an actual tour before, though I did mount some old powder skis with Marker f12s a couple of years ago, and tried them out on an uphill climb. They were heavy uphill, and frankly just too wide and long for what I have in mind and what our usual conditions are here.

The Volkl 90eight might be my ideal touring ski (I demoed it last year, and really liked it despite its relative lightness), but I can't find any deals on it. I can't justify this purchase unless the price is right.

So, the contenders are: Volkl Nanuq (either 170 or 177), K2 Pinnacle 95 (170 or 177), and also the Rossignol Temptation 100 (174). The Rossignol might be too heavy, too stiff, and too long for me, though I note that it does have Rossignol's signature honeycomb tip, which might help a little. It was definitely heavier than the Nanuq though. I'm including it because I also demoed it last year and really loved it, although I'm pretty sure the demo model was only 166cm. They're all around half-price, 2016/17 models.

I'm planning to reuse my Marker f12 bindings, and with any luck the BD Ascension skins that have already been cut to fit my old Rossi S7s should be able to be cut back again to fit new smaller skis.

Help, please ?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I've found a few possibilities (i.e. bargains) in a local shop, but I can't find much relevant info, reviews etc on the internet, and was hoping someone here might have some experience with the skis I'm looking at.

What I'm after is all-mountainish skis that will cope with extremely variable NZ conditions, without being either too light or too heavy. I'm looking at a waist width of 95-100ish, because it seems like a useful width, and because I already have skis that are narrower and wider than that. I'm highly unlikely to ever do a multi-day backcountry trip (unless it's fully guided and catered, lol) -- most likely any touring I do will be limited to outside the ropes of whatever ski area. I'm an advanced skier, and can cope with most off-piste conditions, though prefer to avoid airtime. I'm also not that little (5ft8.5, 75kg) and generally tend to prefer burlier skis, often with metal in them, which I realise isn't that optimal for uphill travel. I have never been on an actual tour before, though I did mount some old powder skis with Marker f12s a couple of years ago, and tried them out on an uphill climb. They were heavy uphill, and frankly just too wide and long for what I have in mind and what our usual conditions are here.

The Volkl 90eight might be my ideal touring ski (I demoed it last year, and really liked it despite its relative lightness), but I can't find any deals on it. I can't justify this purchase unless the price is right.

So, the contenders are: Volkl Nanuq (either 170 or 177), K2 Pinnacle 95 (170 or 177), and also the Rossignol Temptation 100 (174). The Rossignol might be too heavy, too stiff, and too long for me, though I note that it does have Rossignol's signature honeycomb tip, which might help a little. It was definitely heavier than the Nanuq though. I'm including it because I also demoed it last year and really loved it, although I'm pretty sure the demo model was only 166cm. They're all around half-price, 2016/17 models.

I'm planning to reuse my Marker f12 bindings, and with any luck the BD Ascension skins that have already been cut to fit my old Rossi S7s should be able to be cut back again to fit new smaller skis.

Help, please ?

Advice from someone who doesn't tour but would like to:
Volkl Nanuq. I've researched it a bit and have read great reviews. It most likely will give you that Volkl stability with less weight. I'd imagine either length would be fine.

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, vanhoskier. I'm now leaning towards that ski too. Or maybe even the Volkl Nunataq, also on sale at the same shop, which is a bit wider than my self-imposed 100mm waist limit -- but it has had good reviews too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna