• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The slow line

mustski

Angel Diva
I have always found it harder to ski slowly. I still struggle with that - speed makes cheating so easy. The ability to turn slowly and perfectly while still looking smooth is - well artistry!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boy, what a good article! Yes, skiing slowly and with precision is really hard, but really satisfying IF you take the time to do it and work on it all the time. So many quotes in that article I think a lot of people can relate to!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think of skiing slowly as like riding a bike slowly; it takes better balance to stay upright while moving when you go slow. I wish I could do a track stand on a bike, staying upright while stopped at a traffic light without putting down a foot.

Skiing very very slowly is difficult for the same reason; momentum is not strong enough to stabilize you as you move. You have to stabilize yourself.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely usually harder to ski slowly vs fast. Learn to finish your turns and ski well slowly then increase speed.

Some may never want to go fast and then there's those that do ski well fast because they did learn how and can ski slowly..

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m still approaching the joys of going fast. Speed feels like a lack of control, which is scary, so I usually keep on the slow side unless there is a flat trail ahead. When I go fast for the flats, it’s exhilarating, but I don’t have to worry about stopping. I don’t have much practice stopping when I’m at speed. I think that’s the next drill for me: getting much more confident at hockey stops. Then I’ll be more confident with speed!

EeveeCanSki

Certified Ski Diva
I’m still approaching the joys of going fast. Speed feels like a lack of control, which is scary, so I usually keep on the slow side unless there is a flat trail ahead. When I go fast for the flats, it’s exhilarating, but I don’t have to worry about stopping. I don’t have much practice stopping when I’m at speed. I think that’s the next drill for me: getting much more confident at hockey stops. Then I’ll be more confident with speed!

This could be me right now! :smile: I do appreciate what some momentum and an appropriate pitch can do for me but it will be a while before I hit higher speeds. Right now I'm having a great time building skills and enjoying refining things at a mellow pace--my instructors are taking that approach with me even as I am approaching more intermediate skills and steeper pitches. On the upside too, using good technique and form makes you look like you're going faster than you really are.

newboots

Angel Diva
@EeveeCanSki - I think we derailed the intent of this thread! Oops. :focus:
I do hope to be a capable slow skier one of these days, making beautiful C turns down even steep slopes!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the concept of "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" in the article. I've always been interested in graceful turns over speed. This winter in various clinics I've been working a lot on the "slow", breaking down the turns into the components. Afterwards, you wonder if you can ski anymore. But it starts to build back up into something better than you started with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna