• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The sexualization of female athletes.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, there's spandex, and then there's a bikini ...

2015+USA+Outdoor+Track+Field+Championships+WQ072fFVjOgx.jpg

Jenny

Angel Diva
They weren't that small when I ran college track. And we still got to wear shirts, not just sports bras.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They weren't that small when I ran college track. And we still got to wear shirts, not just sports bras.

I mean, honestly, if I were that sweaty and overheated, I don't think I'd want to wear a shirt. And perhaps the same goes for clingy shorts, and that's why they prefer the brief bottoms?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, honestly, if I were that sweaty and overheated, I don't think I'd want to wear a shirt. And perhaps the same goes for clingy shorts, and that's why they prefer the brief bottoms?

Exactly, that's what I mean. I do think there is a lot of comfort and practicality going on here, and with human bodies not being so "scary and immoral" anymore. Remember, ancient Greek athletes competed in the nude. Digging a little sand out of a little bit of shorts is better than dealing with lots of it in lots of shorts.

Note: this is not the same as sexy poses in bikinis, which is where we started here, although I imagine it doesn't often make that much difference to the viewer.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember, ancient Greek athletes competed in the nude. Digging a little sand out of a little bit of shorts is better than dealing with lots of it in lots of shorts.

That is also crazy to me. Dangly bits + wrestling, running ... oooh, this one:

JUMPING
Athletes used stone or lead weights called halteres to increase the distance of a jump. They held onto the weights until the end of their flight, and then jettisoned them backwards.

altagirl

Staff member
Exactly, that's what I mean. I do think there is a lot of comfort and practicality going on here, and with human bodies not being so "scary and immoral" anymore. Remember, ancient Greek athletes competed in the nude. Digging a little sand out of a little bit of shorts is better than dealing with lots of it in lots of shorts.

Note: this is not the same as sexy poses in bikinis, which is where we started here, although I imagine it doesn't often make that much difference to the viewer.

While I totally agree with wearing whatever is comfortable and practical, regardless of anyone's modesty standards...
With the beach volleyball, I guess what I don't get is why men wear long shorts and t-shirts if it's a matter of less clothing equals less sand suck in your clothes.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I totally agree with wearing whatever is comfortable and practical, regardless of anyone's modesty standards...
With the beach volleyball, I guess what I don't get is why men wear long shorts and t-shirts if it's a matter of less clothing equals less sand suck in your clothes.

Although - this could also be an example of gender policing on the flip side. Men wearing sleek clothing for aero/water dynamics: acceptable. Men wearing sleek clothing when not absolutely required for performance: ewww, gay! Gross! (Not what I'm saying, certainly not about athletic men!)

Jenny

Angel Diva
That is also crazy to me. Dangly bits + wrestling, running ... oooh, this one:

JUMPING
Athletes used stone or lead weights called halteres to increase the distance of a jump. They held onto the weights until the end of their flight, and then jettisoned them backwards.
I cannot imagine being coordinated enough to pull that off without injury!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I actually liked the bloomers but would not have been comfortable in just the sports bra. But the bloomers meant I was big time, now, because we wore shorts in high school. (And, my butt and legs looked just awesome in them, back then.)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually liked the bloomers but would not have been comfortable in just the sports bra. But the bloomers meant I was big time, now, because we wore shorts in high school. (And, my butt and legs looked just awesome in them, back then.)

Yeah, if only I had the legs now that I thought were so big back then ...

I spent a lot of my life in just a sports bra in college. Freaking Virginia summers.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think this falls under "what they are accustomed to wearing at the beach." And one of the articles said the men wear shirts because they need identification/numbers on them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna