• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The sexualization of female athletes.

mustski

Angel Diva
I have noticed that kids 11-13 are dressing more modestly. Don't get me wrong, there are always a few but the numbers are less. We had a cast party on Saturday - pool party - and the bathing suits were much more modest than in past years. I take that as a hopeful sign.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am always curious about Diva's who post much more "technical" questions on gender neutral ski forums.
Really? Which gender neutral ski forum do you find divas post technical question most?

Just curious. I do sometimes have gender neutral technical questions I want to get as big an audience as I possibly can. But I can't stand TGR, and now Epicski is no more.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really? Which gender neutral ski forum do you find divas post technical question most?

Just curious. I do sometimes have gender neutral technical questions I want to get as big an audience as I possibly can. But I can't stand TGR, and now Epicski is no more.

Pugski.com

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have noticed that kids 11-13 are dressing more modestly. Don't get me wrong, there are always a few but the numbers are less. We had a cast party on Saturday - pool party - and the bathing suits were much more modest than in past years. I take that as a hopeful sign.

Its just the fashion right now. Normcore with high waisted and mom jeans are in. High waisted bikini bottoms, longline and high neck bikini tops. I'm not sure its a reaction against overly sexualized clothes as much as its a 'whats old is new again' thing.

mustski

Angel Diva
Its just the fashion right now. Normcore with high waisted and mom jeans are in. High waisted bikini bottoms, longline and high neck bikini tops. I'm not sure its a reaction against overly sexualized clothes as much as its a 'whats old is new again' thing.
But don't fashion trends reflect social norms? For years, I saw little girls (11-13) striving to be sexy. Now I see them striving to be strong, fast, and athletic.

mustski

Angel Diva

I would say that my reference was to both Epicski (pre-demise) and Pugski. I never pay attention to TGR.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't understand the term normcore. It seems weirdly pretentious for meaning "mom jeans."

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I am so out of it. I actually had to look up what normcore means. :rolleyes:

mustski

Angel Diva
LOL. I wouldn't describe the teens as wearing "normcore." There are some for sure but not the majority. Nope, the clothing is still girly but much more modest. Unless the boys are wearing bikinis now!

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't get me started on women's sand volleyball "uniforms."

Oh, man, you've said it. I don't enjoy watching the sport anyway (men's or women's), but the "uniforms" are pure exploitation. I've never researched it, but I can't help but think they were probably forced on the women by the sponsors, networks, and even their own association. At least in swimming (my background), the suits are designed to be function first. Coverage in competition suits has gone up in the last 2 decades for both men and women b/c the larger suits provide some compression and don't impede performance. The fights over what should/should not be legal in competition were vicious, but they concerned fabrics and more coverage rather than less.

altagirl

Staff member
Oh, man, you've said it. I don't enjoy watching the sport anyway (men's or women's), but the "uniforms" are pure exploitation. I've never researched it, but I can't help but think they were probably forced on the women by the sponsors, networks, and even their own association. At least in swimming (my background), the suits are designed to be function first. Coverage in competition suits has gone up in the last 2 decades for both men and women b/c the larger suits provide some compression and don't impede performance. The fights over what should/should not be legal in competition were vicious, but they concerned fabrics and more coverage rather than less.

I've always wondered how many women are out there who are or would be good at beach volleyball but don't feel comfortable in those tiny suits. You cannot tell me that picking a wedgie after every play is the ideal clothing choice.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always wondered how many women are out there who are or would be good at beach volleyball but don't feel comfortable in those tiny suits. You cannot tell me that picking a wedgie after every play is the ideal clothing choice.

I mean, soccer players pick wedgies all the time, too ;-) But it's not quite so ... yeah.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard many players say this is what they prefer. I mean, yes, most of them look pretty dang sexy, but it's the nature of the sport. That's what you wear at the ... beach. However, the rules were changed a few years ago and women are now allowed to wear other stuff, and in fact do when it's cold out. Mainly the rules were changed to accommodate religious beliefs, though, I think.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/wo...s-men-uniform-guidelines-kerri-walsh-jennings

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/28/olympic-volleyball-uniform_n_1385879.html

And of course regular volleyball shorts aren't so baggy, either: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...s-keilman-column-hf-0427-20160421-column.html

What about track uniforms? etc etc The trend, with spandex, is everywhere. Part of it is comfort and performance, for sure. But not all.

Sometimes I wonder how other sports would work in bikinis. You sure couldn't grab jerseys in soccer..

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about track uniforms? etc etc The trend, with spandex, is everywhere. Part of it is comfort and performance, for sure. But not all.

I mean, there's spandex, and then there's a bikini ...

Of course we could go down the rabbit hole of "They say that's what they want, but is that just the patriarchy, need for marketing, etc?" ... but I suspect that question is beyond my pay grade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly