• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Chuting Gallery

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
This April, Caroline Gleich became the fourth person and first woman ever to complete all 90 ski descents in the iconic Utah guidebook The Chuting Gallery. Andrew Mclean’s guidebook, first released in the late 90’s, is a list of the gnarliest ski mountaineering objectives in Utah’s Wasatch Range, and has gained notoriety among the backcountry skiing crowd as a definitive resource for the area.

REI and Duct Tape Then Beer produced a short film about it.

Watch:

newboots

Angel Diva
I wondered why she draws so much venom. She does look very childlike, and she's doing such "manly" things - perhaps that's what prompts certain people to go to the trouble of trolling her and insulting her.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wondered why she draws so much venom. She does look very childlike, and she's doing such "manly" things - perhaps that's what prompts certain people to go to the trouble of trolling her and insulting her.
'
I didn't realize people insult her?? I'd say Jealousy is the only reason. she is beyond Incredible!! To be in this kind of shape climbing and skiing these chutes. Anyone bad mouthing her should try and do just 1 let alone 90!!!

I'm wondering if we saw her one morning at Alta from GMD Dining room we watched the headlamps crawl along the top of the rim and when the sun came up and finally crested over the Mt. they skied a really tight scary chute.

Jilly

Staff member
Can't wait to get home and see that. Too long to get away with it in the office.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Amazing. I agree that the only reason anyone would troll her is jealousy. We've all met those lowlifes who can only make themselves feel better by putting other people down and some people probably have a hard time accepting that someone who doesn't fit their picture of a ski mountaineer actually is one. She's a tiny and pretty and an amazing athlete who skis down terrifying mountains. I nearly forgot to breathe when she was tackling that last chute. I also really liked her insight about how having a list of things to tick off can motivate you but can also lead you to make unwise decisions. This is useful for adventure sports and life in general.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Total badass. And... her eyes aren't even crossed? Unreal that people will take the time to leave a message like that for a stranger.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I loved where she's standing there looking straight down a seemingly vertical shaft, saying, "This is fun. This is fun." Not in a happy way, but in a way like she's trying to talk herself into it.

Really, really scary stuff. I don't know how she does it.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I loved where she's standing there looking straight down a seemingly vertical shaft, saying, "This is fun. This is fun." Not in a happy way, but in a way like she's trying to talk herself into it.

Really, really scary stuff. I don't know how she does it.

She had her ski off on a practically vertical face, too. She was roped in, but that scene still gave me the most anxiety of any in the film.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just watched it .... and just OMIGAWD. I don't like heights in the first place (yeah, I know) and looking down those lines was freaking scary on my couch! I've looked up at Alta and just been amazed that people ski down those (easier by comparison) lines! Wow, wow and triple wow!

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
She's a total badass for sure. She's the victim of gender bias in more ways than one - people think she can't ski as well as them and they also judge her for appearing in advertisements for skiing in Utah (funny, no one ever criticizes male skiers for appearing in the same type of ads). I think her skiing speaks for itself and I love that she embraces learning the technique so she can be a leader, not a follower. We need more women who are leading ice climbs and setting ambitious goals and inviting men along for the ride instead of tagging along on their expeditions in a secondary role (those adventures can be super cool too, of course - depends on the context).

newboots

Angel Diva
She's a total badass for sure. She's the victim of gender bias in more ways than one - people think she can't ski as well as them and they also judge her for appearing in advertisements for skiing in Utah (funny, no one ever criticizes male skiers for appearing in the same type of ads). I think her skiing speaks for itself and I love that she embraces learning the technique so she can be a leader, not a follower. We need more women who are leading ice climbs and setting ambitious goals and inviting men along for the ride instead of tagging along on their expeditions in a secondary role (those adventures can be super cool too, of course - depends on the context).

Welcome, @skiwest! Great to have you here. Thanks for this comment - agreed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna