• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Survey on Sexual Harassment in the Outdoors & Outdoor Industry

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just now made the distinction that how bothered I am does relate to what I feel like the intentions are. Sometimes it feels benign, where it feels like they are expressing appreciation. Sometimes it feels malignant and that is a really different situation. It might not make a difference to some but it feels really different to me.

Yes, this is exactly it. I didn't feel vulnerable when I was skiing, because the catcaller was on a lift above me and I felt good and I was looking and skiing good. Its a different story when you're on a run alone at 6 in the morning and someone is catcalling you from their car. There is a power differential there.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Catcalling always made me feel VERY vulnerable. How are you supposed to know that one of those catcallers doesn't intend to take it further, and follow you, or find you later? My response often was to flip them the bird.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a random male snowboarder grab my butt as he was falling. Whether it was a real fall is beyond me - it was one of those things where he was flipping from side to side on a flat, fell, and reached up toward my back side as he did so. I have no idea why you'd reach up and grab a stranger as you were falling.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had a random male snowboarder grab my butt as he was falling. Whether it was a real fall is beyond me - it was one of those things where he was flipping from side to side on a flat, fell, and reached up toward my back side as he did so. I have no idea why you'd reach up and grab a stranger as you were falling.

WTF.

newboots

Angel Diva
I hope the next time he tries that with someone, she accidentally stabs him with her ski pole as she falls on him, ideally with her sharpened elbow in his groin.

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't think I've ever been cat called--even when I was younger, it was never something I ever experienced. I've always been thin (but I'm not a hot number) so I don't think weight has much to do with it. I just tend to not be that aware of other people so it could just be that I'm in my own bubble and would not have a clue if anyone ever looked twice--but I've been told I can give off a no nonsense vibe at times so that may scare them off.

That's funny, I could have written that exact thing (except as I mentioned my experience in Italy).

I am famous among my friends for being in a bubble and not noticing them honking at me when driving behind me, yelling at me from across the street, etc.

But also...Seattle. Men here are famous for being...shy. Passive. Shoegazers. There is not even much of a culture of approaching people at bars and such. Friends that have moved to other cites, particularly on the East Coast, have been shocked to find that men will just walk up to them and start talking to them in cafes or bars. That is not the norm here.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
India was a different rabbit hole and made me appreciate the petty sexist crap we put up with here. I was alone in Dehli for 10 days and took an overnight to Agra (Taj Majal). I learned from my India ladies to be assertive---and the sexism there is beyond description (tho I have several examples that blew my mind). I walked down a side street in Dehli where young boys were playing street soccer and all of a sudden the game stopped and I realized they were all staring at ME. no words only stares. I waved and said hello! no words. Later I was told they were probably shocked to see a woman alone walking down the street---and a blonde woman at that. (and I later realized how foolish I was to do so alone).

echo_VT

Angel Diva
i have been catcalled, followed on foot, on bike and by car - and i have been attacked - perhaps inadvertently - while running, and i swatted him away and made a ton of noise to make him go away. it worked. i've also been threatened with violence in public places (i.e. bars) for "refusing" these advances.

some of these have happened when i was walking hand in hand with my then 4-6 year old daughter, or biking with her.

NYC is one of the worst for this. i hear cities in south america are much worse. but i would be shocked if it got worse than NYC in the u.s.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
filled out the survey. and wow. lots of douchebags in the outdoors. not a surprise as they're pretty much everywhere. feeling thankful to outdoors online for standing up to that $hit...

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

This makes me so mad. If you’re skiing, with all that gear on, it’s so clear it’s not about sexuality or desire - I mean, the only visible skin was probably a thin band above your neck warmer and below your goggles. It’s all about power. What a a**hole.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eh. I think there is a lot of subjectiveness about what makes something harassment vs. someone trying to pick you up vs. someone that's just clueless and stupid vs. someone that's actually a threat. It can be difficult to differentiate sometimes. But generally, speaking only for myself, catcalling has never bothered me. I'm sort of oblivious to it, it's just background noise. To me, it doesn't actually MEAN anything. I've had guys hit on me, tell me I have a nice ass, and... whatever. Maybe I have thick skin or maybe I'm just naive but unless I feel like the guy is a predator, nothing they say really gets under my skin at all, even if it's not really appropriate. I'm not entirely a person without exposure to predatory behavior, mostly when I was young - some slightly traumatic things happened, but I got over it and moved on from it. I guess I just like to live in happy oblivion? Give people the benefit of the doubt? I feel like I have a fairly good grasp on character whether or not someone feels actually creepy vs. stupid. I dunno... but what a lot of people consider to be harassment is not something that I feel to be as such. It's such a personal experience, and you feel what you feel, you know? If you FEEL harassed, then you are. But there is almost no way to draw a clear line between the various shades of that behavior across the board. I've worked in the outdoor industry for almost 15 years now - I've experienced lots of bad pickup lines but never really dealt with anyone I felt to be an actual threat to my person. At the club, in college? Yeah. But out in the real world, not so much.

It's an interesting discussion though, from a psychological perspective.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
the whole stepping up to my face and in my personal space is kind of a dead giveaway - the touching by a stranger without permission - do not grab a random stranger - this should be VERY OBVIOUS that it's not OK by any means. the constant persistence even when shut down. it's unnerving when it's some random stranger OR some mutual acquaintance i happened to meet thru someone else does this. badgering can be borderline harassment for sure, especially when crossing into the indecent / inappropriate territory it can get awful super quick. badgering from lack of social graces i see as more annoying. i think this happens from a lot of human interaction and i'm not talking about that. harassment is just plain fucked up. NO just NO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna