• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Survey on Sexual Harassment in the Outdoors & Outdoor Industry

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Outside Magazine is conducting a survey on sexual harassment in the outdoors and the outdoor industry. If you want to participate, go here.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone NOT been catcalled while out exercising?
I was catcalled a few weeks ago by a construction crew while biking with my 10yo DAUGHTER. It occurred to me that they might have been catcalling her. It REALLY made me mad.

Truth be told, I have had many times where I've come across men while I'm out exercising who just give me the heebs. It's pretty disconcerting that we, as women, don't truly feel safe if we are out there alone.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone NOT been catcalled while out exercising?
I was catcalled a few weeks ago by a construction crew while biking with my 10yo DAUGHTER. It occurred to me that they might have been catcalling her. It REALLY made me mad.

Truth be told, I have had many times where I've come across men while I'm out exercising who just give me the heebs. It's pretty disconcerting that we, as women, don't truly feel safe if we are out there alone.

I sometimes ponder whether my size is a subconscious attempt to avoid having these sorts of experiences. I haven't been cat called in a long time. I think I'm pretty much invisible to the male gaze.

The prologue and first act of this This American Life episode is interesting - and demoralizing. A woman interviews the men who catcall, thinking she could convince them that women don't appreciate it and are even frightened by it - without much success. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/603/once-more-with-feeling

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I heard that! That was crazy. How were those guys so delusional??

There's some pithy quote that I can't quite remember - something like "Never underestimate someone's ability to disregard facts when the facts don't support the person's own interest." Obviously that's not the quote.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's funny, I mean okay I'm not a supermodel, but I can't remember ever being catcalled or harassed in Seattle. I was shocked when, in my 20s, I went on a long trip to Italy and men did this (and even got really close, kind of in a swarm sometimes) when I wore, say, a t shirt and leggings. On my travel days I wore my hiking boots and hiking pants (I was headed to the Alps eventually) no one looked twice at me. Then no one harassed me in Switzerland or Austria. But Italy if I was dressed in non-baggy clothes, holy hell.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh why are tights a thing now? Every woman wears them to the gym so I feel compelled to wear them too. They are comfy but they leave nothing to the imagination. The whole booty is on display and every divot:eek:. I feel so naked and exposed when I wear them. How can I squat, dead-lift, and hip thrust with these?!

I had the nerve to a buy a ton of them too, despite my disdain, giving in to the gym peer pressure. Though, I believe I have gotten prudish as I have gotten older just to avoid the male gaze. When I was younger, I had no problem with short skirts, halter tops, and tons of cleavage. All of that is covered up now! But I'm not of the mindset that what a woman wears give men the right to harass them or that it is somehow their fault :mad2:.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every woman wears them to the gym so I feel compelled to wear them too.

I bought a bunch of "yoga tights" when I started yoga. I hate them. They inevitably roll down when I bend at the waist - my belly forces them down. And they show wide swaths of underwear in back. And they need to be treated delicately for the wash.

So you know what? I found a wonderful style of 5" running shorts at Title Nine. Actually, this was an accident. I bought them to prevent thigh chafing on a trip to the beach to visit my parents - swimming was fine, but I wanted to be able to take walks while on the beach, stuff like that. But I fell in love.

I'm the only female in the yoga class wearing running shorts. I Don't Care. They stay up on my waist (still expose undies, but what can you do?) without pressuring, and they dry almost instantly when I'm done sweating. It turns out they're great for the gym, too. I now have four pairs.

Life's too short to give a **** what other people think when 1) you're not hurting them and 2) they're not in a position of power over you (like a boss at work).

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Life's too short to give a **** what other people think when 1) you're not hurting them and 2) they're not in a position of power over you (like a boss at work).

I agree! Unlike the prudishness, not caring is something I welcome getting better with age. That's why I mostly wear my basketball shorts and free t-shirts still. Very tacky compared to the lululemon crowd! Still I'll throw on some tights every once in a while because I bought them. This really is just me being self conscious not because of what anyone thinks but because of what I think. I think that my booty is jiggling on the treadmill and some perv is probably behind me getting a free show. Is that what's happening? Probably not, but the thought is there and now I feel even more exposed.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually run outdoors in the early morning because I think that on the whole, there are fewer jerks outside being jerks at 5:30am.

That's brave of you, isn't it still dark then? That's another sad thing you hear: "Why was she out at 5:30 alone?" No, why was a predator being a predator?!

I was telling a coworker about a hike I went on after work and she very was concerned for my safety which made me very confused. It was still daylight when I went and not very remote. The headline would still probably read "Lone Woman Attacked on Hiking Trail". I wasn't pulling a Cheryl Strayed, still very much in the city limits. Her concern kind of put me on edge though and made me reconsider if it was truly dangerous. I hate feeling that way though...

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sometimes ponder whether my size is a subconscious attempt to avoid having these sorts of experiences. I haven't been cat called in a long time. I think I'm pretty much invisible to the male gaze.

The prologue and first act of this This American Life episode is interesting - and demoralizing. A woman interviews the men who catcall, thinking she could convince them that women don't appreciate it and are even frightened by it - without much success. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/603/once-more-with-feeling

Yes, I really can't remember being harassed while skiing, even back when I was only 140 pounds and wearing purple stretch pants. Walking by construction sites was the worst place. It's been many years since it was a problem for me, mostly when I worked in NYC. Now that I'm old and overweight, I'm blessedly invisible.

It is definitely a problem for my very fit daughter. She's small to boot. She actually became afraid to run or bike in Tacoma.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's funny, I mean okay I'm not a supermodel, but I can't remember ever being catcalled or harassed in Seattle. I was shocked when, in my 20s, I went on a long trip to Italy and men did this (and even got really close, kind of in a swarm sometimes) when I wore, say, a t shirt and leggings. On my travel days I wore my hiking boots and hiking pants (I was headed to the Alps eventually) no one looked twice at me. Then no one harassed me in Switzerland or Austria. But Italy if I was dressed in non-baggy clothes, holy hell.

In high school in Italy I was chased all the way up some tower and down again by a bunch of Italian soldiers. My nun chaperone was waiting as we exited, they vanished. My butt was grabbed twice on the street in Vienna when I was in college there. The second guy got smacked.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I really can't remember being harassed while skiing, even back when I was only 140 pounds and wearing purple stretch pants.

The only times I've been harassed when skiing is ironically when people thought I was a boy.

That's brave of you, isn't it still dark then? That's another sad thing you hear: "Why was she out at 5:30 alone?" No, why was a predator being a predator?!

It's dark, but my route that at that hour when I lived in DC took me past a lot of security cameras and secret service. My current route is full of joggers, dog walkers, and bike commuters at that hour. I'd much rather be out in the dark in the morning than in the evening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna