• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sugarbush Women's Camp, March 5-8

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Any other Divas doing the Sugarbush Women's Discovery Camp, March 5-8?

I love Sugarbush. It's one of my favorite Vermont ski areas -- a great mountain in the Mad River Valley, one of the prettiest parts of the state.

Late this afternoon I checked into the Clay Brook Hotel at the Lincoln Peak Base, and it's gorgeous. The hotel is at the base of the mountain, right beside the lodge. Here's a file photo of the exterior:

exterior-view.jpg

I'm staying in a one bedroom unit with a gorgeous kitchen, eating area, and living room. It all overlooks the mountain.

Here are a couple pics.

You walk in, and the kitchen is to your immediate right:

IMG_5657.jpg

Straight ahead, the living and eating area:

IMG_5658.jpg

And there's a separate, beautiful bedroom. Here's a partial picture:

IMG_5662.jpg

This is the view from my window:

IMG_5660.jpg

I'm excited about starting the camp tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I was far too busy to post yesterday, so I'll try to do a quick one now.

The camp yesterday was AWESOME! First, because it was in Sugarbush, and I love Sugarbush, and second, because the coaches were amazing.

The day started with some yoga, always a good way to get going. Then breakfast, and a good talk by ski school director Terry Barbour. Terry went into a lot of the same stuff we've heard here from @Ursula -- on the importance of stance, on rotating from your femur, and so on.

IMG_5677.jpg

Then we went out into a glorious bluebird day. Sure, after the recent warm-up not all the trails were open, but the ones that were were in very good shape, and it was enough to have fun on.

IMG_5685.jpg

After the obligatory ski-around to figure out groups, we were off. My instructor was Lisa, a PSIA Examiner who was first rate, and my group was a nice, small size -- me plus three other women -- so I felt like I got a lot of individual attention. We did a number of drills to improve our turns, and just in general, had a lot of fun.

IMG_5687.jpg

Then it was lunch, a talk by a tech guy about the new skis coming out, more skiing, apres, and a talk about boots.

And then last night, I had dinner in Timbers, the restaurant attached to the Clay Brook Hotel at the base.

IMG_5692.jpg

Here's the bar:

IMG_5694.jpg

And today I get to go out and do it again!

More later.....

Last edited:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw that MCP (Mountain Collective Pass) is on sale for 2017-2018 and it includes Sugarbush for East now. Stowe is out because it's been purchased by Vail. I have heard many good things about Sugarbush so it may be on my radar for next season. The camp sounds great too!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, Terry Barbour went to Sugarbush. I met him briefly when I went to MRG. The Examiner who is at Massanutten told me to look him up.

Sounds like Sugarbush is working to up the level of their ski school. Hadn't heard much about it before.

Will keep the camp in mind. I like Sugarbush and the Mad River Valley in general. Had a good time staying at the Mad River Barn.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought Terry was at MRG, guess he went to SB? At any rate, looks like a great camp. Oh I miss Vermont. In Ohio dealing with family illness.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
More on the camp....

Yesterday the weather was a bit different: some fog higher up, rain here and there, frozen groomed corduroy that eventually softened up.....ah, New England. You get it all.

For me, the highlights of Day 2 were running the gates (well, not exactly gates; the short, stubby things that are stuck in the ground) and videotaping.

Here's someone going through it:

IMG_5712.jpg

I'm not a racer -- I know some here are -- so I have minimal experience with this. But really, it was fun.

And the videotaping? I haven't been taped in like forever, so I'd really forgotten how it can be slowed down to reveal e-v-e-r-y little thing about your skiing. Oh, the joy. But still, a great way to see what's what.

Anyway, another good day. Today's the end. I plan to post about all this in my blog next Tuesday. So look for it then.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So jealous! Love Lisa, fabulous skier and person! Miss seeing her here. Sounds like a great program....maybe next year?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna