• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Starting skiing later in life

marzNC

Angel Diva
Yes, definitely the "good for me" type. I felt like a never-ever, but I didn't do any drills. Just tried to get around.
Sorry, when I asked about walking around on a flat with only one ski what I was curious about was whether you had ever been asked to do that last season as a novice skier in a beginner lesson. Probably shouldn't have called it a "drill." My sense is that it's often part of the introduction to the first experience on skis. As explained to me by my friend who has a PSIA-E Master Teacher Certification and I observed at Loveland. He's been an instructor for a long time and in our age bracket.

I remember watching the never-ever class for young kids at Massanutten just walking around on snow in ski boots before they ever get to put on their skis. On my daughter's first day at age 4 (13 years ago), she got bored during the first 45-min segment because they were just playing games in ski boots and not sliding on skis. She was much happier after the morning break when they started taking the magic carpet. She was was riding the lift with the instructor and three other 5yo girls after lunch. By 2pm when ski school was over, I had a budding ski buddy in the making.

Since we've also been talking about the first two days on snow, I was thinking that for a skier who is still a beginner or even intermediate later in life, getting re-aquainted with the feel of sliding on snow during the first day or two of a season with only one ski so that there is less chance of a fall might be useful. Especially on a day that's icy all over the open trails.

The scariest part of my first ski day this season was making my way down the icy slope to the K1 Lodge in my ski boots only when going in for a break. By the end of the day I decided that going the long way around that was much flatter to go in the doors that face up the slopes was a better idea.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought it decently simulated half of skating, no?

It does but skating is too complicated for beginners. Beginners should be encouraged to slide on two skis and to learn to flatten their skis and turn their legs without a push off move.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought it was for never-evers to get the feeling of sliding on a ski?

Some instructors use it to get the feeling of sliding on a ski. I don't use it for a couple of reasons:

1. It is awkward and intimidating for new skiers to use only one ski.
2. They end up pushing off the leg with the boot on. Pushing off of a ski to start a turn is not the turning mechanism we want to encourage.
3. There are better ways of getting people to feel the sliding. Specifically, find a place with a slight uphill. They can give themselves a push with their poles to get going and the uphill will slow them down.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This walking in a circle with only one ski on is known as "boot work." Students will walk with both feet, but there's only one ski on. They are to slide that ski forward in the circular path. I think mrznc said "push" but she meant push it forward, tail following tip; this is not a skating move, just a simple slide forward along a circular path. It's done with never-evers before they get on any pitch. The point is to let them know that the ski is easier to slide forward in the circular turn if it's tipped ever so slightly to the Big Toe Edge (BTE). The ski will naturally tip as they walk in a circle and that BTE helps the ski move along. When it's tipped to the Little Toe Edge (LTE) they have more difficulty. Remember, these are beginner adults, and the skis and boots are totally unfamiliar to them.

Progression: instructors first have the adults walk in a circle in the direction that will put that BTE on slight edge, then have them walk the circle in the other direction, which puts the ski on its LTE. Much harder to slide that ski forward the second way. Then they move the ski to the other foot (students learn that the ski doesn't care which foot it's on) and do the two circles again, being asked which edge, BTE or LTE, feels easiest. When they report the BTE is easier, the instructor lets them know that they will be using that BTE as they turn. It's not a skating exercise. Just a get-the-ski-to-go-in-a-circle and learn that it's easier when the very very slight edging happens on the BTE.

I've seen some instructors have the group walk in a circle on a very very slight pitch; the circle goes up, across the hill, then down, and back across the hill. The students end up getting a bit of "help" from gravity as they complete the circle. I don't do this to them because our terrain does not make it safe; they are in the middle of cross-traffic.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite thing to work on when it's really icy is sideslips and their variations. Do these exercises on as gentle a slope as possible. These exercises can be done on glare ice, frozen suede, skied-off trails after lunch, or anything you consider too icy to actually have any control on. After you do them, you'll have that control.

1. Point skis across the hill. Slide down sideways along a straight-downhill path. Work on keeping that path straight; that's the hard part. If you can't side-slip at all, if your skis refuse to slip downhill, you are probably leaning your body uphill, with too much weight on the uphill ski and too much edge on your skis. Lean your upper body out over your downhill ski a little, so that it has most of your weight on it. Now try again. The skis do need to be flat enough to slip sideways; if you still can't get the sideslip going, flatten the skis a tiny wee little bit with your ankles. If that doesn't work, move your two knees a little ways downhill. That will do the trick. Do all of this at a snail's pace on unintimidating terrain.

2. Same thing; vary speed of sideways-downhill sliding, by varying the edge grip from your skis. Higher edges slow you down, if your skis are sharp. Lower edges, closer to flat against the snow, speed you up. Keep working to travel straight down the hill. This takes some skill; it's a great sill to build.

3. Falling-leaf: do the same thing, but bend forward at the ankles to tilt whole body over fronts of skis ... and see what happens. You should slide forwardish, instead of straight downhill. Open up ankles to tilt body back over tails and see what happens. You should slide backwardish, instead of straight downhill. You can turn and look back there if you like, or not. Body tilts forward and backward like a metronome when you bend and unbend your ankles.

4. Variety and control of the side-slipping: work on sliding straight downhill, sliding forward, and sliding backward on command with that ankle work in the falling-leaf exercise. Add some speed control to this by varying the edging. If skis are indeed sharp, higher edging will slow you down.

5. Add a slight turn: sideslip downhill sideways, and do two things very slowly and progressively: bend forward at the ankles, and turn the skis to point downhill. At this point you can let them point all the way downhill, or stop them from doing that and turn them back uphill, or you can make a complete turn. In any event, work up to making a complete turn, continuing the slipping as you go. S-L-O M-O turns. No rushing anything! Ice doesn't like rushing. You'll lose control.

6. Make side-slippy turns this way in both directions, coming to a stop. Then link them. The point? Getting used to the slipping as the turn goes through its phases.

7. Vary your downhill travel speed with edging; try more edge, try less edge. Have fun; this is trial and error day work. You'll know your skis better, and you'll be comfortable slipping on ice after working on this for a few hours.

Last edited:

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dear Cygnet, I hope you are still here and making more progress. When I read your story I thought I must respond, because I am so much in your situation. I am now 63 and only started skiing five years ago, usually having no more than 5 days a year to ski in. When I read your story I stopped chastising myself for the sloow progress I am making, I reminded myself where I was before my first memorable trip to Slovakia when I first learned the thrill of going down a green trail on a mountain. Since that time it is of course a very different story, even if I continue to feel very inferior , especially as one is continually bombarded with messages about people starting parallel turns within a week of day zero, not being scared (which helps, as they admit), being willing tochallenge themselves. ,. Then I think: I will never get anywhere with skiing. Who knows how much time I even have left to learn? And then I read stories like yours which admit to all the pain, frustration and fear and then - the exhiliration of skiing. I hope you are here forever with your encouraging example!!!!!!!!!

EdithP

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello, liquidfeet and thanks for the warm reception. ! I live in Poland. My first trip, where I learned the rudiments was in Slovakia, a village affair, very basic, with a button lift, however. My mainstay is in the Polish Tatras, Bialka -our favourite beginners' ski centre, which mostly has easy pistes and in addition a hot springs spa, all at a very reasonable cost. I go there with my adult children, who give Mom this treat once a year :smile: .I have also been twice in the French Alps - rather above my head, granted, but I was with a bunch of friends who are all very good . I decided to tag on for the social aspect of it, and somehow made it, no doubt thanks to their very sweet attitude intaking turns to go down the easiest trails with me. (which were still rather harder than what I was used to) . I very much hope to keep that French trip on the calender and to add another ski outing during the winter. And you? As a ski diva extraordinaire you must be some hot stuff on those mountains!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in Poland. My first trip, where I learned the rudiments was in Slovakia, a village affair, very basic, with a button lift, however. My mainstay is in the Polish Tatras, Bialka -our favourite beginners' ski centre, which mostly has easy pistes and in addition a hot springs spa, all at a very reasonable cost.
Welcome, @EdithP! My husband is originally from Poland and I have visited the Tatras with him (in September for hiking - years before I learned to ski). Such a beautiful place!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly