• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Starting skiing later in life

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you so much for these Deer Valley blog posts. I have a little pig tailed granddaughter who will be joining me when she's 3 in 2019! Can't wait to share this awesome sport with her!
One of the reasons I started taking lessons was to stay a better skier than my daughter. :smile:

I got my daughter started at age 4 because that's the minimum age for ski school in the southeast. She was skiing blues at Alta during our first spring break trip when she was 7. She was Level 8 in the children's ski school classes by age 12. She's 17 now. Had I known what I've learned in the last five years from instructors, I would've invested in lessons out west for myself sooner. Although I'm lucky that my little home mountain has a very experienced instructor doing 2-hour clinics for 50+ skiers that are a really good deal.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What an inspiration and gift you gave your granddaughter!
Well, we started late with being parents. So my husband and I are happily retired 60-somethings with a daughter in high school. My parents were in their 60s when I was in high school so I know what the advantages are in the long run. Luckily they were active and enjoyed life well into their 90s, so I expect to be skiing for quite a while yet.

kiki

Angel Diva
This is a very inspiring thread.
I think pursuing any sport as an adult, for many of us, requires great determination and a certain acceptance that we can enjoy something without being great at the start. That it's ok to suck at it and keep going with it, and appreciating the small gains.

it's certainly better to really live and do this stuff than just stay home and watch fake people on netflix do it.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I had read this post last year as my feet first touched the snow at 65 and my first season was spent in fear and anxiety about skiing. After a horrific day locally at Mt High, Ca and telling the ski instruction I'm done after 1 hour I knew I couldn't give up on the sport so I book a solo trip to Deer Valley, Utah and it changed my life. Luckily I was assigned wonderful ski instructor who helped me over the course of 3 days work on my fears. Believe me I was a wreck each night thinking about going on the hill but I knew I had to squash those negative voices in my head. Now at 66 I've got 4 trips booked (3 solo) there and skiing with same instructor. Do I still hear those negative voices? Yes, but I keep at it.

Ah.. those voices, maybe why I like my tunes as back ground music. I think our inner selves is the hardest part to overcome. I don't know anyone that doesn't have some self doubt.. Skiing with an instructor that you click with is so important!
I hope you'll keep posting so you can get in the 'diva's only section" (you need 25posts)

I know skiing alone is fine but I have to say after meeting and skiing in person w/so many of the Divas I wouldn't travel anywhere without seeing if a Diva would be around to meet up with even for a few runs.
I now have 5 trips planned this winter all with Diva's I've met on here..

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know skiing alone is fine but I have to say after meeting and skiing in person w/so many of the Divas I wouldn't travel anywhere without seeing if a Diva would be around to meet up with even for a few runs.
I now have 5 trips planned this winter all with Diva's I've met on here..
It can even be fun to meet up with a Diva or two for a leisurely meal no where near the slopes. Did that in the Boston area last month. Had skied with two of the Divas, and corresponded for years with the other but meeting in person is even better.

Meet On the Hill is one of the sections for Divas with enough posts to see Divas Only stuff.

newboots

Angel Diva
First day of second season report:

Killington had a variety of conditions, including sheer ice, chopped up ice, ice with puddles, steep ice, and ice with cat tracks on it. No crowds on an icy Wednesday!

I am out of shape, hadn't skied since April (I guess that's not unusual!), and on my brand new Blizzard Quattros, well-sharpened.

First, I realized that I would need to get both skis to go in the same direction. This was discouraging! A little later, remembered to hold my poles out and in front. And try to pole touch. A little better. Then I saw some better skiers, and I remembered that I knew how to turn just my lower body. Even better!

But wow, am I tired. I only skied 1.5 hours, two very long runs (green!). I had only one fall, but a particularly humiliating one coming off the lift. I crawled out of the way so fortunately, the liftie could avoid stopping it. I still need to learn how to stand up with one ski going off in its own direction, without taking off my skis. Stronger legs needed!

Can you tell I'm fooling on the computer instead of finishing some work?

:ski:

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Killington had a variety of conditions, including sheer ice, chopped up ice, ice with puddles, steep ice, and ice with cat tracks on it. No crowds on an icy Wednesday!

I am out of shape, hadn't skied since April (I guess that's not unusual!), and on my brand new Blizzard Quattros, well-sharpened.

First, I realized that I would need to get both skis to go in the same direction. This was discouraging! A little later, remembered to hold my poles out and in front. And try to pole touch. A little better. Then I saw some better skiers, and I remembered that I knew how to turn just my lower body. Even better!

But wow, am I tired. I only skied 1.5 hours, two very long runs (green!). I had only one fall, but a particularly humiliating one coming off the lift. I crawled out of the way so fortunately, the liftie could avoid stopping it. I still need to learn how to stand up with one ski going off in its own direction, without taking off my skis. Stronger legs needed!

You rock! I am so proud of you!!!:jumphappy::dancing:

One fall on your first day of your second season, that's awesome. I fell yesterday on my 7th day of my 14th ish season!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, sounds like one of those days where it's not "good snow conditions" but "snow conditions that are good for you." Kudos for getting out there anyway!

Did you do the little drill with only one ski on? Essentially just pushing around in a circle on a flat. First one ski, then the other. Wondering if that's helpful on the first day or two. An experienced instructor friend showed it to me when we were talking about adult beginners. Saw never-evers (adults mostly) doing the drill at Loveland before they went up the magic carpet for the first time.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Holy moly.. you are a tough cookie to go out after 'rain' !! I have policy to only go 2 days after rain.. unless major snow falls. Here's to a nice soft powder day for you on your next adventure!!! Hang in there, winter just started, you'll get lots of time in and everything will get better..

newboots

Angel Diva
You rock! I am so proud of you!!

One fall on your first day of your second season, that's awesome. I fell yesterday on my 7th day of my 14th ish season!

Thanks! I guess I'm pretty proud myself. :-)

Wow, sounds like one of those days where it's not "good snow conditions" but "snow conditions that are good for you." Kudos for getting out there anyway!

Did you do the little drill with only one ski on? Essentially just pushing around in a circle on a flat. First one ski, then the other. Wondering if that's helpful on the first day or two. An experienced instructor friend showed it to me when we were talking about adult beginners. Saw never-evers (adults mostly) doing the drill at Loveland before they went up the magic carpet for the first time.

Yes, definitely the "good for me" type. I felt like a never-ever, but I didn't do any drills. Just tried to get around.

Holy moly.. you are a tough cookie to go out after 'rain' !! I have policy to only go 2 days after rain.. unless major snow falls. Here's to a nice soft powder day for you on your next adventure!!! Hang in there, winter just started, you'll get lots of time in and everything will get better..

Yes, brave! I have to work Thursday and Friday, and on Saturday I'll be skiing with three expert skiers. One is my dear BF, another is an instructor, and a third who thinks nothing of tearing down black diamonds. I wanted to at least practice clicking in before this little get-together.

kiki

Angel Diva

@newboots sonds like a brave and adventurous first day for the season! Glad you are out there and totally agree on the stronger legs needed!! Me too! Keep letting us know how it goes, it gives me hope.

newboots

Angel Diva
Ahhh, but @VickiK , you haven't been raised on Eastern ice! (The chopped-up stuff wasn't bad, except there's always a bit of gravel mixed in. Grumble: my new skis.)

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I do not like this drill. There is no pushing in skiing. This drill creates more bad habits than good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly