• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solar eclipse 2017

Christy

Angel Diva
Anyone going? Hotels and campgrounds have long been sold out, but I'm wondering about just driving to the path of totality. But will all of Seattle and Portland be doing this (we'd just have to drive to Salem, south of Portland), creating gridlock on I-5? There are plenty of more rural spots in OR and ID that would not normally be that hard to get to, and normally it would be easy to find dispersed camping the night before (in ID especially), but is everyone else doing this too? I just looked to see if there was a super early flight to Boise, thinking we could get in, drive north, then fly home that day, but there isn't one early enough. I wasn't really that motivated to go until I started reading things by people that have seen a total eclipse and they say it's life-changing yadda yadda.

It's going right over Sun Valley, wish I'd thought about this sooner and booked the lodge.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'm wondering about this, too!

Our tentative plan is to drive 3-4 hours north the day before and find a dispersed campsite somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming. I'd love to find a spot that's a little elevated (I hear it's awesome to watch the shadow come across the ground at you from a higher vantage point), but that might be asking too much. Overall I'd rather have an easier, less amazing viewing experience then deal with huge crowds.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have a friend who is an eclipse chaser. She's travelled to many places for the totality experience. Several years ago she secured a group camp some where in central Oregon where select people are invite to join. Of course we are going. :smile: I hear you can't get a spot in Sun Valley/Ketchum area for under $10K for the week.

Christy

Angel Diva
I read that Oregon is expecting a million people to travel to the path of totality, mostly to eastern OR. A million. Public lands managers are really bracing for the worst (wildfires, trash) since they'll get the brunt of it. It does give one pause.

I hear you can't get a spot in Sun Valley/Ketchum area for under $10K for the week.

There's no problem getting a spot on the 19th or the 21st--Sun Valley Co has all sorts of lodging for the usual prices. But the 20th...no dice.

Christy

Angel Diva
I did just see the Days Inn in Bend has a room for $1600 for the 2oth.

You can find rooms in OR and ID on the 19th and 21st, just not usually for the 20th. Which means everyone is just coming for that night/morning--coming at the same time, leaving at the same time. Yikes.

Christy

Angel Diva
I found an astronomy forum with regular eclipse viewers where opinions range from, it's going to be apocalyptic traffic, to, 95% of people don't care and it would be ridiculous to let the fear of crowds prevent you from going. And of course everything in between (go three days in advance and stay after, etc). Hmm.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow lucky you girls.I was in France for one in 1999.If you can be in an elevated rural spot with the bonus of birds and cattle around it is simply magical.We stayed with a friend of a friend out in the sticks and walked up a hill with picnics and wine on a lovely summers day.There were maybe 12 of us to share the experience.Stunning.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
So how tight is the area from which you can view the eclipse? Like how many square miles? Curious...I suppose google could tell me but I prefer to hear from the Divas!

Christy

Angel Diva
I think the "path of totality" is 60 miles wide. It goes across the entire US and will take 90 minutes coast to coast. You need to be right in it because apparently even in a 99% eclipse the sun is bright enough to keep the earth lit and sky blue.

whole-us.jpg

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I witnessed a partial eclipse in 1994. I think most of us in North America will experience something - it's just that the the sun will be various degrees of a crescent, and shadows will have a crescent shape. If you are in the path of the total eclipse, the sun gets completely occluded. I found a website a few weeks ago that told you based on your location what time the eclipse would occur for you and also showed a graphic of what the sun would look like.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/sacramento (here's what I'd see)

Christy

Angel Diva
Well this is cute. The Central Oregon Emergency Network website is trying to promote preparedness, and they are posting poems (among other things).
https://coemergencyinfo.blogspot.com/

If travelers plan ahead and come prepared,
we’ll all dance together
for two unforgettable minutes
as the sun throws the moon’s shadow over us.
If travelers don’t plan ahead,
we’ll all go nowhere together
for many forgettable hours
probably throwing shade at each other.

If you wait to arrive
You’ll be late on the drive
And miss the celestial lights.

If you hurry to leave
You’ll surely feel peeved.
Stick around and see Oregon’s sights.

newboots

Angel Diva
The West Coast seems to have a different sensibility about emergency preparedness than we are used to around here . . .

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK I'm living in a hole since this is the first I've heard of this. Man, I wish I still lived in Boise, Idaho. We won't see much in San Diego.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna