• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So is Telemark Skiing Dead?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Michelson: The future of tele skiing is what monoboarding is now.

Funny - that's exactly the analogy I was going to draw.

I still see a fair number of telemarkers out there - more at Loveland and A Basin than at Breck (quelle surprise!). But if they can't get new gear, at some point it will be as obsolete as ballet skis ...

Although - I met a woman on the lift last weekend who was just starting to learn ski ballet. So.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
It's not as popular as it used to be, but I see a few out there. DH is a die hard and has moved to the NTN set up which is stable and allows for alpine style skiing. I have a setup that I take out now and then for fun. My son just set himself up NTN also. For backcounty, I think AT has taken over.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The article was first posted by Powder back in Feb, and I expect they have reposted it to try to get more traffic in a quiet time. (My take.) In general I think the article is a bit of a troll. I've seen variations on this theme in other articles in years past.

When it came out, the article was soundly trashed on a couple of telemark forums I frequent, for many of the reasons @geargrrl mentions. It's true it's not growing like it did in the 90s. It's also true you see a lot of AT folk in the BC, because AT gear has greatly evolved, and who wants to learn a crazy turn to ski the BC when all you have to do it buy new gear? But tele has been around a long time, and I suspect there will always be a dedicated following. And NTN has definitely made the turn easier and more accesible, and easier to switch between alpine and tele. Plus there are tele innovations even beyond NTN (now if we could just get lighter boots). And at least in the east and midwest, some folks get bored skiing alpine at resorts, and tele offers a fun new challenge. Once you get the turn down and ski tele in powder, well, it will hook you. Hey, if people still ski blade, there will certainly be people who tele. :ski2:

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Maximum flexibility in terms of types of turns, more exercise on the hill, easier traverses, more comfortable boots. What's not to love?

Well two things, unexpected faceplants now and again, that sort of sucks. And possibly remaining attached to the skis in an unwanted situation...

But overall, tele wins!

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love watching good tele skiers,such grace and power.But then I love watching good alpine skiers-same thing.It's not for me as I still have so much to learn in my alpine skiing technique and want to make the most of that.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To play on Oscar Wilde's words, I hope the rumors of telemark's demise are greatly exagerrated.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
NTN releases.

I know, but I haven't been motivated to go that way. A friend of mine did and spent a season having trouble getting into the bindings, and his turns weren't able to go as deep. Perhaps it is better now. I may change one day, we'll see, perhaps when I need new boots. In the meantime, I love my Hammerheads with all my heart.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's a parallel discussion on pugski, including a conversation about how plastic boots no longer require crazy lunges. People doing that (according to Doug, who I know and trust) are using holdover technique from leather boots.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, but I haven't been motivated to go that way. A friend of mine did and spent a season having trouble getting into the bindings, and his turns weren't able to go as deep. Perhaps it is better now. I may change one day, we'll see, perhaps when I need new boots. In the meantime, I love my Hammerheads with all my heart.

If your friend couldn't do deeper turns, he needs binding tubes with less resistance. I have the lowest resistance tubes set the lowest I can go, and I can vary my stance just fine, although I definitely can ski in a taller stance, which I love. Note that I have Outlaws, which I think are superior to Rotte--I found them stiffer with a weird dead spot. YMMV. But Hammerheads kick butt. No reason to change if you are happy.

I know a number of tele skiers--instructors even--who still do deeper turns. It can depend on the skier's personal style, conditions, steepness of slope etc. It's the lunging that's a hold over IMO--that and long poles/hands above head. LOL For example, I go deeper on steeper slopes and in crappy conditions. Once you've got it down, I'd argue that there is no right way to turn, although there are certainly more efficient turn styles. That's the joy of tele--constantly working to improve.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
I like the feel of going low sometimes. And yes, in crappy conditions it helps me. But I parallel a LOT - Hammerheads are great with lateral stability. In any case, all of this discussion means tele is not dead, at least in this forum...and it won't be at very least until I die - or quit skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna