• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Slushy demo day

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I attended a demo day at Blue Mountain (in PA) yesterday, and was able to try a few skis before my legs wore out (and before they quit - early!). I'm not a great reviewer, but I'll give my thoughts on the skis I tried in case it helps anyone else in my situation.

My stats: 51 yo, 5'2, 160 lbs. Solid intermediate skier.

Most skis were 2018s.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on the Yumis. I thought they would win the day. They were my least favorite. The ski is great - my technique isn't. These ladies were worse than my mother complaining about me in the back seat. I kept to the same easy blue run all day, and I just knew if I jumped in the back seat during a black diamond run on a day with normal conditions, they's buck me off. Other than that, they are a beautiful ski, and honestly, I would have been happy to get them and a lesson or two.

I loved, loved, loved the Atomic Vantages. Now, why Atomic has to name every single ski Vantage is a mystery. Even the girl manning the demo booth couldn't really tell me confidently which ski was which and what made one Vantage line different than another. This really is just poor marketing. My favorite, surprisingly, was the 77 cti. I thought I'd love the 80, which I did, but the 77 was just so much FUN, even in the deep slush! I even tried the 85, which was great, and almost bought it, but the 77 was just the happiest camper for me. I plan to venture into the woods at some point, and I kept hearing my kids telling me not to go too wide.

Next came the Temptations. I tried both the 80 and 84, and didn't really like them. I read a few times on here that they have a small sweet spot, and I definitely didn't find it.

I regret not trying the Astras, but I kind of decided I wanted to stick in the 80-84mm range for speed stability. I should have tried them anyway.

The clear winner of the day for me was the Blizzard Quattro 8.0 ti. I found them to be incredibly responsive, and even in the deep slush, I had a blast on them. For me, I liked the 156s better than the 162s, although it was a close call. Blizzard claims they have a tail rocker, but I didn't feel it while skiing, and Seth at Guenther's (near Elk Mountain), says it's really early rise, not true tail rocker. There's no change in the ski from 2017, and the only sad part for me was that the 2018 graphic matched my boots very nicely. ;)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reviews, I was curious about the Quattros; good to hear positive feedback. I wish they'd run a demo day on a weekend.
I was at Blue the other day; not happy to see it this warm in February, but I do like playing in the soft snow. I had a blast on 97mm Soul Riders; skied 'till I wore myself out and then had a beer in the sun on the summit patio. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe the Yumi isn't as great as you think it should be? Sounds like the other skis you tried were all pretty darned good! The Astrals come in 78 (??) 84, and 88mm. Did they only have the 88? I'm anxious to hear other women's thoughts on these skis, as I loved the 84s, second only to the new Black Pearl 88s. And I have GOT to get on some of the Atomic Vantage series. I keep hearing great things.
Sounds like you had a fun day!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Thanks for the reviews, I was curious about the Quattros; good to hear positive feedback. I wish they'd run a demo day on a weekend.
I was at Blue the other day; not happy to see it this warm in February, but I do like playing in the soft snow. I had a blast on 97mm Soul Riders; skied 'till I wore myself out and then had a beer in the sun on the summit patio. :smile:

97mm are definitely needed these days, sadly. My legs were so sore at the end of the day, I was wishing for a hot tub...

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Maybe the Yumi isn't as great as you think it should be? Sounds like the other skis you tried were all pretty darned good! The Astrals come in 78 (??) 84, and 88mm. Did they only have the 88? I'm anxious to hear other women's thoughts on these skis, as I loved the 84s, second only to the new Black Pearl 88s. And I have GOT to get on some of the Atomic Vantage series. I keep hearing great things.
Sounds like you had a fun day!

Drat! I didn't check them out closely. If I had, I would have definitely tried them out. They are a beautiful ski. Next year's had "Constellation" on them. You'd think a nerdy girl would have naturally gravitated towards them...

I highly encourage you to try the Vantages. They are a ton of fun!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I highly encourage you to try the Vantages. They are a ton of fun!

Before buying Vantages for East Coast skiing, I would recommend demo-ing them on firm snow and hardpack. I tried the Vantage 90 recently and though I really liked the ski's other qualities, the lack of edge grip was disappointing. Now, that could have been the shop tune, but the other two skis I tried that day were fresh from the tuning bench and razor-sharp.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Before buying Vantages for East Coast skiing, I would recommend demo-ing them on firm snow and hardpack. I tried the Vantage 90 recently and though I really liked the ski's other qualities, the lack of edge grip was disappointing. Now, that could have been the shop tune, but the other two skis I tried that day were fresh from the tuning bench and razor-sharp.
If I can get out on them next month and there's any hard pack, I'll report back. I know we get lots of nice, soft snow here in UT (35 inches the past 48 hours!) but I do NOT like a daily driver ski that can't handle those icy areas. Happy to report that the new Black Pearl 88s (with a fantastic tune on them from my fantastic tune guy!) handle ice, yes ICE, very well. Granted, the ice is in patches here usually, but still, they have a much better feel on it than their predecessors.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting. What I liked about the Vantage 90 at Alta last April was the hold on firm groomers. Meaning groomers that had softened when temps in the 40s and then froze up overnight. Far better grip than my 2012 Black Pearls.

Jilly

Staff member

Remember there are 2 Vantage groupings. Vantage and Vantage X. They are totally different skis. Also the X line waist width are narrower than the Vantage. I think there is one width that overlaps.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
@Jilly knows more than my demo girl. They are two different lines, but in my haste, did not stop to try to figure out the difference, and the demo girl didn't really know. I'm going to bet the one width that overlaps is the 77. I think maybe one has titanium and one does not? (i liked the one with).

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@Jilly knows more than my demo girl. They are two different lines, but in my haste, did not stop to try to figure out the difference, and the demo girl didn't really know. I'm going to bet the one width that overlaps is the 77. I think maybe one has titanium and one does not? (i liked the one with).

You are correct on the 77. The X W series ends at 80mm waist and the regular vantage series starts at 85mm. Not all the X series have a Ti backbone, only the models signified by CTI - and, yes, they make both options in the 77. The 90mm from the regular vantage series also has Ti:
https://shop.atomic.com/en-us/alpine/skis/all-mountain.html

Jilly

Staff member
I really think that Atomic did themselves a disfavour by using the same name. One line should have been called something else.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Great news - just got back from skiing my new Blizzard Quattro 8.0TIs and omg do I love these skis. They gave me the extra boost of confidence I needed (I'm guessing that was the waist width and the titanium) as well as great response when maybe I wanted to do something they didn't necessarily want to do (like avoiding the unexpected dirt pile that suddenly appeared. I'm still not sure I shouldn't have gotten the 162 length, but these will do nicely! I can't believe I actually improved that much over the course of a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna