• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with osteopenia and/or osteoporosis

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know this is something that's more relevant to (ahem) Divas of a "certain age," but really, it's something all of us need to think about. Because even if you're young, it could be in your cards, too.

So here's the story: Even though I fought the good fight -- weight bearing exercises, Calcium plus D -- I was just diagnosed with osteopenia. This isn't surprising. It runs in my family, and I have the primary body type for it (petite, small boned).

To be honest, I'm not in the least bit worried. I'm starting to take Fosamax, which should help the problem. However, I've heard of women who won't ski anymore because they have one of these conditions.

So I was just wondering: who else has osteopenia or osteoporosis, and has it made any difference in the way you approach skiing? And are you medicating for it?

SkiBee

Certified Ski Diva
Ditto, with the addition of vitamin D3, 2000 iu daily with the calcium. I just started skiing and am in total denial about the possibility of injury. Osteopenia be darned!

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have osteopenia now. I had osteoporosis but took Fosamax for maybe 7 years. I no longer take Fosamax since they say you should only take it for 7 years and I strengthened my bones to the Osteopenia
level.
That said, I don't give it another thought. It doesn't change my behavior while skiing at all. I figure I can break my foot taking yoga so why worry. Exercise is the best thing I can do along with taking a calcium pill with D every day.

If I start thinking about myself as fragile, I fear I will stop doing lots of things.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Heads up: think WEIGHT LIFTING. Someone in my Body Pump class (she just turned 72) completely turned hers around in a year by doing regular weight lifting.

I'm "in harm's way" as well: Caucasian, fair, of "that" (:rolleyes:) age, past The Big M, and skinny.

Pass the weights....

Last bone density screening was about 6 years ago, passed with flying colors, but oh, Time......

abc

Banned
While I have the body type, and have cracked ribs in the past, I'm not particularly worried. There's no history in my family of easily broken bones, despite all the females are of small boned. I'm hoping the long history of my relatives working the fields might help. ;-)

My Mom is still "normal" in bone density. So I figure I still have a few years on my side. It helps that my own most recent bone density check was also healthy.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I was tested about 3 years ago after breaking my leg and then my ankle, and told that I had mild osteopenia. They gave me Fosamax because I am an avid skier.

I was retested about a month ago and my scores had improved. Doctor took me off Fosamax for 3 reasons:

1 - there is no long term data on the side effects of taking Fosamax, and I may need it when I'm older and actually have a problem.

2 - my scores NEVER called for Fosamax, and the doctor who gave it to me was just being cautious.

3 - the breaks I suffered would most likely have happened even if my scores were normal.

No, I have not changed my ski or other behavior due to being diagnosed with osteopenia. I have taken several hard falls in the past 2 years, and, knock wood, have not broken anything.

Take your Fosamax if prescribed, take your calcium, and have a great ski season. :grouphug:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have osteopenia but I think it just relates to lack of use based on heel break. Seeing Ortho next week so can confirm then. I will follow up w/questions based on this thread. I have the 'at risk' body type also.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've never heard of osteopenia - is it a mild form of osteoporosis? So far, so good in my case. I'm certainly of the age to be at risk but I think the genes are pretty good (my mother never had it, to my knowledge). I do take calcium plus Vitamin D and certainly get lots of exercise. If I did have it, I don't think it would stop me skiing.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Osteopenia is a thinning of bone density; osteoporosis is when your bones are actually brittle.

Granite

Certified Ski Diva
How do you know whether you have O`penia or O`porosis?

I`m 52 now , should I get tested??

It will never happen to me!! (sort of thing) so I have never given it any thought:noidea:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you have to get tested. If it's in your family, it's an especially good idea.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is one test that is worth taking and is the least bothersome of any test I have ever had. You lie down on a bed with your clothes on and the machine scans you. You can even fall asleep if you can do that in under 5 min. The entire procedure takes maybe 10.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have osteopenia now. I had osteoporosis but took Fosamax for maybe 7 years. I no longer take Fosamax since they say you should only take it for 7 years and I strengthened my bones to the Osteopenia
level.
That said, I don't give it another thought. It doesn't change my behavior while skiing at all. I figure I can break my foot taking yoga so why worry. Exercise is the best thing I can do along with taking a calcium pill with D every day.

If I start thinking about myself as fragile, I fear I will stop doing lots of things.

Lil, you do my heart good!

I am in my mid 40's with a lot of weight bearing activity in my life, as well as regular exercise, but I have a few things in my diet that are not good for bone density, like I'm a heavy coffee drinker.

Its my plan to have a bone density test at age 45 then again after that when recommended. Mosdef something worthwhile.

In the mean time, I assure you, I won't be concerned about skiing(or mt biking for that matter)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
How do you know whether you have O`penia or O`porosis?

I`m 52 now , should I get tested??
1. You don't, unless you have bone scan. Age at which it should first be done is variable: depends on your "stage" in life (past "M"?), your body type, your family history, and your doctor's input.

2. Ask your doctor at next physical.

+1 on it being fast and easy and worth the time/$.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As Ski Diva said, I think it's always a good idea to be aware of maintaining bone health, regardless of age. Researchers have found a number of young-ish swimmers and cyclists you'd otherwise think to be super healthy to have osteopenia because of the non-weightbearing/resistance aspects of those sports.

I'll probably die of skin cancer from this, but I'm guilty of running outside year-round -- in a tank and shorts if possible -- without ever wearing sunblock. My logic is that my body needs the vitamin D from UV to metabolize (probably not the right scientific term) calcium. I read in several places that most people have a huge vitamin D deficiency. Anyway, I have an awesome year-round racerback tan, and hopefully okay bones.

abc

Banned
I'll probably die of skin cancer from this, but I'm guilty of running outside year-round -- in a tank and shorts if possible -- without ever wearing sunblock. My logic is that my body needs the vitamin D from UV to metabolize (probably not the right scientific term) calcium. I read in several places that most people have a huge vitamin D deficiency. Anyway, I have an awesome year-round racerback tan, and hopefully okay bones.
Think again.

My most recent check up come back with a V-D deficient and I was shocked! No, motified!!! I have the most gorgeous tan in the whole metro area ;), and I have V-D deficient???

Some REASONS and some doubts:

1) Asians (along with other non-white races) tan easily. The tan is the body's defense against absorbing TOO MUCH sun. So your chance of getting skin cancer doesn't go up astronomically. Unfortunately, the same defense mechanism also stops you from getting astronomical amount of V-D!

2) Vitmin D was either not part of the regular check up, or the "normal level" has recently be revised upward. Because I've never had this mentioned to me until this year. And the same with my mother! No way my mother and I had mysteriously started having the same deficiency all of a sudden!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Interesting, I'm deja-vu'ing here from another thread where we disussed this, possibly in re: sunscreen?? :noidea: Definitely plan to ask my GP about this next month when I go for annual. Dermatologist says "jamais" to sun :nono: (well, especially in my case, with a history of pre-cancerous lesions and squamous cell carcinoma :eek:) -- so what does someone in that situation do? Yep, supplements, lots of 'em.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Think again.

My most recent check up come back with a V-D deficient and I was shocked! No, motified!!! I have the most gorgeous tan in the whole metro area ;), and I have V-D deficient???

Uhm, actually, I anticipate being vitamin D deficient, but am hoping the sun is doing more to help than hurt. I guess I didn't get that across.

abc

Banned
Uhm, actually, I anticipate being vitamin D deficient, but am hoping the sun is doing more to help than hurt. I guess I didn't get that across.
Well, if you have something to compare with, let us know if it helps then.

I've never had a "base line" to compare to. This is the first year I've had this pointed out to me and I've not changed my sun exposure significantly this year than last . So if it's not enough, it's not enough. I really can't expose myself to the sun any more than I already have without burning in it! :(

Hence the "theory" of dark skin people don't get any more UV than light skin ones. Maybe the body was never designed to take that much UV and make that much more Vitamin-D. If so, supplement is the only way to go.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took your earlier post to mean that you got the weight bearing benefit of running as opposed to biking, more so than the D from sun exposure. Am I correct?

I really need to get back to a weight bearing routine.
I ride bike, work with an agility ladder and jump rope but do little else for weight training in the past couple years.

Thus far, I have strong bones, but that can change before I realize it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna