1. Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.
    Dismiss Notice

Skiing through ice patches - tips?

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Lilia, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

1. Lilia

Lilia Certified Ski Diva

Hello Divas,

Recently I have skied in a large QC ski resorts, and was bothered by the ice patches. Tried my best to avoid them when I could, but was not always successful. I did not fall but still, I think I could use a piece of advice from more experienced skiers.

How do I behave when I see a sizeable ice patch on the slope that I am entering the next millisecond? So far, my tactic was to get lower, legs wider apart, no any new manoeuvers, all attention to my balance and to wait till the ice patch is passed. As soon as I felt solidly on the snow, I make the next turn.

Feels awkward when I feel being just carried down on ice by the forces, struggling to stay on my legs, unable to do anything.

cskis88 likes this.
  2. Jilly

Jilly Moderator Staff Member

Just slide and steer. Stay balanced. You can't edge so don't worry about it. If you need to turn on the ice, pivot and steer it. As long as you have friction on the ice, you'll slow down.

And yes, look for snow to turn on if it's there.

lucy, nopoleskier, newboots and 4 others like this.
  3. Skier31

Skier31 Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Make sure you are flexing your uphill knee.
    If you are leaning up the hill and more weight is on your uphill ski, you will have difficulty.

4. Jilly

Jilly Moderator Staff Member

Actually lighter is better than trying to get lower. But if you feel better balanced lower, go for it.

Lilia and nopoleskier like this.
  5. nopoleskier

nopoleskier Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Adirondack Mts NY Bleecker MT (NW of Albany)
    agree ^^^.. I always just stay balanced and flat over the ice and "Look" for the snow to turn on and not concentrate on the ice.. Stay calm...

6. newboots

newboots Angel Diva

When I don’t stiffen up on ice, I navigate it better. When I do have to make my turn on ice, I leave room for some sideways skidding, but I can make a pivot turn.

I think when you encounter it more often without disaster, it becomes challenging, not terrifying.

nopoleskier likes this.
  7. SkiBam

SkiBam Angel Diva

A friend I ski with often has always been psyched out by ice. He has finally realized that whenever he encountered icy patches, he would stiffen up, lean uphill, brace against the outside ski (which would of course slide out from the pressure), and he would often fall. Now that he's focusing on staying relaxed and balanced over the outside ski (but no pushing) and sort of calmly sliding over the ice, it's working much much better. And he's no longer terrified by ice.