• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in the east -- then the west -- then the east again.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I'm a north eastern gal...born and bred..and living for the day we can retire to Vermont, somewhere halfway between Lake Champlain and the mountains. Out west is just too far from our families.

altagirl

Staff member
Most of our friends moved here from the east coast or Midwest. (I'm from Michigan).

I've had a number of friends move back east, usually to be closer to their families (and mostly because they were having kids and wanted grandparents closer. )

I don't know anyone who was like, I miss east coast skiing so I'm moving back. Though I know there is good skiing there, and no reason you can't still have lots of fun!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of our friends moved here from the east coast or Midwest. (I'm from Michigan).

I've had a number of friends move back east, usually to be closer to their families (and mostly because they were having kids and wanted grandparents closer. )

I don't know anyone who was like, I miss east coast skiing so I'm moving back. Though I know there is good skiing there, and no reason you can't still have lots of fun!

I was a low intermediate skier when I was on the east coast (or, as I thought at the time, pretty much an expert :rolleyes:), so I do sometimes think about checking out some iconic eastern ski areas - particularly Mad River Glen. But I'll admit that my motivation to actually do so is fairly low. It's more that I wish I had been good enough to take advantage of it while I was there. I have skied the blues and greens of a number of eastern resorts - not exactly a full representation of what's available. Although I do remember some true sheet of ice skiing, and that's more of a challenge than anything I ski out here - except maybe late summer glacier skiing ;-)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to add that @dloveski, who'd never skied in the east before, joined us for Diva East at Stowe this past year and had an absolute blast. So I encourage our western Divas to join us for one of these trips. It'll expand your skiing experience and it is SO. MUCH. FUN.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Came across this article this morning and it made me think of this thread:
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2017/09/east-coast-isnt-just-place-mountainfolk-leave/
Nice read. I've hiked the Adirondack mountain mentioned at the beginning. It's an easier hike and the view is spectacular. On a clear day, can almost see into New Hampshire. Good view of Lake Champlain.

I've been exploring the northeast in recent years. Very different feel from the southeast, midwest, or Pacific northwest. The fact that there are so many towns that date from before Revolutionary War is very obvious. In addition to good moderate hiking and skiing, there is a lot of history to explore for those interested. For instance, Mt Greylock State Park in the Berkshires is amazing. Pre-dates national parks and has CCC construction.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who have never skied in the east, the Top Five resorts from a recent Top 20 list are:

1) Tremblant, QUE
2) Stowe, VT
3) Whiteface, NY
4) Killington, VT
5) Smuggler's Notch, VT

Stowe was recently bought by Vail and added to the Epic Pass. Tremblant, Whiteface, Killington are on the MAX Pass for 2017-18. Smuggs is a great place for a family ski vacation so there is a lot of speculation about whether or not it will eventually get bought out by Vail. Smuggs is on the other side of the mountain from Stowe, but the road is closed during the winter so it's an hour away by car. (Can compare to someone who stays at Park City and drives to Alta/Snowbird. Alta and Snowbird are on either side of Mt. Baldy and have different ownership.).

What's more interesting to me are #16-20. These are mostly 200-300 acres, with MRG at 120 acres. I've checked out all but Cannon so far. To get a feel for the northeast, driving around New England skiing at places like these midweek is good fun. The four in VT/NH are "ski areas" that are great in good conditions and have spectacular views in good visibility. Only Snowshoe can be called a "ski resort" and it's a driving destination resort on the MAX Pass for people who live in the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, or Ohio.

16) Cannon, VT
17) Mad River Glen, VT
18) Mt. Sunapee, VT
19) Snowshoe, WV
20) Wildcat, NH

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For those who have never skied in the east, the Top Five resorts from a recent Top 20 list are:

1) Tremblant, QUE
2) Stowe, VT
3) Whiteface, NY
4) Killington, VT
5) Smuggler's Notch, VT

Stowe was recently bought by Vail and added to the Epic Pass. Tremblant, Whiteface, Killington are on the MAX Pass for 2017-18. Smuggs is a great place for a family ski vacation so there is a lot of speculation about whether or not it will eventually get bought out by Vail. Smuggs is on the other side of the mountain from Stowe, but the road is closed during the winter so it's an hour away by car. (Can compare to someone who stays at Park City and drives to Alta/Snowbird. Alta and Snowbird are on either side of Mt. Baldy and have different ownership.).

What's more interesting to me are #16-20. These are mostly 200-300 acres, with MRG at 120 acres. I've checked out all but Cannon so far. To get a feel for the northeast, driving around New England skiing at places like these midweek is good fun. The four in VT/NH are "ski areas" that are great in good conditions and have spectacular views in good visibility. Only Snowshoe can be called a "ski resort" and it's a driving destination resort on the MAX Pass for people who live in the Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, or Ohio.

16) Cannon, VT
17) Mad River Glen, VT
18) Mt. Sunapee, VT
19) Snowshoe, WV
20) Wildcat, NH

I learned to ski at Sunapee! Now sister mountain to Okemo, my winter base. I used to ski Cannon. Sometimes ice block as it faces north. But always a challenge. Jean Claude Killy raced there! https://www.mptvimages.com/images/3...chat-together-between-practice-runs-at-cannon

newboots

Angel Diva
Sunapee is in New Hampshire, too! But very close by. Same owners as Okemo.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I've been having a good time sampling northeast skiing, if I were to move somewhere to be closer to ski areas, it wouldn't be to the northeast. Mostly because it's generally colder than the places I ski out west. Plus, I really do enjoy skiing soft snow and that's easier to find out west.
Yep, same here!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The fur beast is busy digging toy after toy out of her toy box and throwing them around the living room! How could I leave her home (for more than a few days to go west)?!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna