• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiers Push For Change After Accidents

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Following the thread with interest. Two things occur to me.

One, there is a difference between *losing* control and skiing out of control. I mean, you can lose control if you hit an ice patch or catch an edge causing you to skid or go down and slide. I venture this has happened to almost everyone at some point in their skiing career. In this situation, you can hit someone without being negligent, in my view. It might still be your fault, but it would be understandable. It seems above that some posts are grouping all "out of control" situations into the same bucket, which I believe would be unfair...

Two, I wonder if those who we refer to as skiing out of control actually *know* they are out of control? They might only figure that out when they try to stop or turn. I hope very few people are intentionally skiing out of control, and rather are unintentionally skiing beyond their ability. So they need to understand their own abilities and mortality, to care about their surroundings (terrain and people), and t0 enjoy more than just speed. For this reason, I agree on the advertisements (for culture change) and on lessons being affordable.

And yes, I have been taken out by skiers and boarders who I believed to be out of control. I too want it to stop, so I am trying to put myself in the head of those people we are talking about, to better think about how to improve the situation.

Christy

Angel Diva
Two, I wonder if those who we refer to as skiing out of control actually *know* they are out of control? They might only figure that out when they try to stop or turn. I hope very few people are intentionally skiing out of control, and rather are unintentionally skiing beyond their ability.

It's probably the same people that tailgate and cut people off when they merge. They aren't thinking about the "what ifs".

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel so conflicted about these ladies' intent. On one hand, I can't think of a lot of sports where just participating on a non-elite level puts you in so much danger. I mean, we're talking a sport that from a physical perspective, people of "a certain age" can enjoy themselves, get exercise, and reap the mental benefits of a day outdoors. That is huge. On the other hand, I am antsy about what regulation would look like. Not that they are asking for anything extreme, but the US is known for its overreaction to liability concerns ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna