• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Tips Scarred/Chipped - Right Skis?

Anna Caldwell

Diva in Training
Hello everyone. I've been skiing since I was a kid. I took 20 years off, kids, moving, expense, but started back last year. 20 Days last year. 16 so far this year.

When we started back to skiing last year, the skis were obviously different than what I used in college. The skis I'm on this season are even more parabolic shaped than last years. When I began skiing on them this season, I immediately noticed that the ski tips overlapped standing still with my feet together. Yesterday, upon inspection, I noticed my tips were pretty scratched up. More than others I glanced at on the ski racks.

I have, so I'm told, a nice form when I ski. I generally have my boots touching, or knees, when skiing through turns. But, with the current skis, I seem to have issues in my turns when the overlapping ski tips interfere with the transfer from one side to the other. I've even fallen a few times when the skis "stuck" and I lost my balance.

So, the question is, should I take these season rentals back and get a different shaped ski? Or, is this just the way skis are now and I need to adjust my form to not ski with my feet so tight?

2018-02-18 10.35.23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It could be your stance. Not only have the shape of skis changed, but the way you ski them has, too. Years ago, the desired stance was legs pretty close together. With parabolic skis, you want more of an athletic stance with your legs shoulder-width apart. Really, things have changed a lot. You might want to take a lesson to get the hang of the new shape. I learned the old way, too, and it takes a bit of an adjustment to use the newer skis to their best advantage.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Jilly

Staff member
Second the lesson. Look at my avatar. And my knees need to be further apart really. I've been instructing since "those days", and it's been a struggle for myself. So I know your pain.

Think about independent legs and knees apart for your stance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna