• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pole length question

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been skiing with composite Goode poles.

I found Rossignol carbon fiber poles on sale at REI recently--they were REALLY a nice. My local store had a pair marked 105cm/42" which is the length of my current poles. I checked the length at the store by flipping them over and making sure my arm was at a right angle figuring the slight heel on my shoes should match my height with my ski boots.

When I got home I decided to check with my ski boots as well. I noticed them seemed just a tad short. I then pulled out my current poles and compared noticing the new poles were indeed shorter. The engineer in me then measured both pairs to find the Goode poles were 42" whereas the Rossignol were 105cm which accounts for the slight difference in that 42" is really 107cm.

So this leads me to 2 questions:

1. If I ordered the Rossignol poles in 110cm, would they be too long? (I know they can then be cut down to 107cm but I am not interested in doing that as these are a want not a need)

2. If I ever need to rent equipment (for a ski trip where I am not bringing poles), how can I be sure which size to request without sounding like a diva? (I need 42" poles if they are measured in inches but not 105cm)

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently was advised to get shorter poles, and went from 115 cm to 110 cm. The person who suggested it said that it has to do with your height in boots and on skis, as well as where you hold your poles. As you can see from my pic I don't hold my poles normally at 90 degrees. I was also having to swing my poles around, rather than just forward, to have them clear the snow, which was adversely impacting my movement down the hill. Going to the shorter poles has improved my skiing, particularly on steeper terrain since my pole use is now a reach, rather than a swing.

I would consider more how I hold my hands and my "full" height with boots and skis than go strictly by the old 90 degree "rule". I am keeping my old poles for powder days when I use a bit more upright stance.

Hope this helps...

marzNC

Angel Diva
When renting, usually have a chance to do the hold an upside down pole test so don't really need to know the numbers.

I had my old poles (really old) cut down a few years ago. As I improved and starting skiing steeper terrain and more bumps and trees, have poles a bit shorter made more of a difference. I think an instructor made a comment at some point. While skiing mostly groomers, they were fine.

Jilly

Staff member
With shaped skis, shorter is usually better....But coming from a person that buy longer and cuts (because they are cheap)..not sure that is helpful!

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try skiing with your old poles while holding them 2 cm lower........see how it feels.
Or if you have adjustable poles (for snow shoeing or XC), set them at 105 cm and try them.
I went from 115 to 110 this season and like them much better!

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Yeah. The old 90 degree thing usually results in poles that are too long. And long poles can have a very negative effect on your skiing!

Think about an athletic stance with ankles knees and hips flexed - and the fact that hands should be lower than your elbows when skiing.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
In my avatar I have my old too long poles! See how I have to angle that right pole out to the side. Not good.
The poles I use now are a couple of inches shorter than the ones in that picture.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found Rossignol carbon fiber poles on sale at REI recently--they were REALLY a nice. My local store had a pair marked 105cm/42" which is the length of my current poles. I checked the length at the store by flipping them over and making sure my arm was at a right angle figuring the slight heel on my shoes should match my height with my ski boots.

... snip ....

1. If I ordered the Rossignol poles in 110cm, would they be too long? (I know they can then be cut down to 107cm but I am not interested in doing that as these are a want not a need)

Actually, I'm not sure you *can* cut down carbon fiber poles. Or rather, I'm not sure the typical ski shop is equipped to do so. You need special equipment, and even my friend who hand-builds parts for his car engine was uncertain about cutting down my carbon fiber handlebars (we ended up not needing to).

Poles are fairly personal. I got a pair of adjustable poles so that I could fiddle with the length. I find that I typically want shorter poles in bumps and on steeps. You'll note that ski racers have much longer poles than competitive bump skiers. I was already running short, and have been shortening up even more in the last month ... if I were looking for myself, I'd err on the side of shorter, rather than longer.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I agree with everyone above, shorter can be a lot more comfortable and actually improve your skiing, especially if you are using the ol' 90 degree rule.

As for cutting carbon fiber poles, take this advice with a grain of salt, as I haven't cut my carbon fiber poles, just bought them a bit smaller than my old ones. But, I've cut PLENTY of carbon fiber hockey sticks with a regular hack saw. I wouldn't think the construction of a ski pole and a hockey stick are that much different.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After reading this thread I'm starting to think my poles are too long too. I *definitely* have to swing my poles around in an arc shape just to do a basic tap on a regular groomer. I'm planning on getting new boots in the fall, so maybe I should just wait till then to see what new stance will be like.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My carbon fiber poles have been cut twice. The second time I watched my bootfitter do it, and he just sawed them off with a hacksaw. No special equipment.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My carbon fiber poles have been cut twice. The second time I watched my bootfitter do it, and he just sawed them off with a hacksaw. No special equipment.
Ditto. DH cut his Goode carbons down 1" years ago (and then they got stolen). Not a major issue. (to cut - the theft was annoying)

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone use hiking/trekking poles as their ski pole? I'm trying to decide if I even need to get dedicated ski poles. My hiking poles are adjustable, which is nice, and they have detachable snow baskets.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sit corrected regarding cutting poles!

I have used hiking poles in a pinch, but mine at least are heavier and don't feel great to swing.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks - that's helpful! I did some shopping around this weekend but selection is low and prices aren't - or at least, not as low as I'd like. One guy yesterday suggested I wait until fall and shop all the pre-season sales. In the meantime, the hiking poles should work.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I decided I like shorter poles this season. My poles were way too long. And impeding my progress, I found, on steeper terrain.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also ski poles that are 2"/5cm shorter than the 90-degree rule (44" vs 46"), and find them to be a bit too long when skiing. The more I progress with skiing, the more I lean forward, and the shorter poles I need.

However, when I'm skating around, I would much prefer poles that are longer, probably about 2" longer than the poles I have. With shorter poles, I keep "missing the ground" when pushing myself forward, especially when going up hill. Quite embarrassing!

In other words, I need 42" poles for skiing, 46" poles for skating, so I carry 44" poles.

I tried using adjustable poles, but I just could not be bothered with adjusting them all the time, and they stayed on 44". So there. :smile:

I don't think you will feel the 107cm vs. 105 cm except when really pushing yourself uphill toward a lift. If you do feel the difference, I'd definitely diva out at the rentals. Or, you might want to get collapsible poles for trips--some of them are quite light--just like you should be bringing your boots.

newboots

Angel Diva
I also ski poles that are 2"/5cm shorter than the 90-degree rule (44" vs 46"), and find them to be a bit too long when skiing. The more I progress with skiing, the more I lean forward, and the shorter poles I need.

Would this mean that giving beginners shorter poles help us get more forward?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna