• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Pole Grips for women

Happy Feet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read the other day that some children have difficulty using poles because the pole grip is too large or their mittens are too stiff and they can't get a grip. (Sorry) Today as I was skiing I was wondering about my grip on my poles, and if they make women specific ski pole grips. In cycling gear there are women specific bars and shifters to accomodate smaller hands.

Jilly

Staff member
There are grips for smaller hands. I don't think they are marketed as women's, as I know some guys with smaller hands. Now if you want bling too as in a women's pole to match your skis......then it might automatically come with a smaller grip.

Kid's poles are a different thing. They are smaller. Narrower diameter and smaller grips.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just have women's poles. I've never noticed if they're smaller than DH's ski pole grips? Now I'm curious. Will have to go home and compare.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have very tiny hands, wear a size 5 in gloves, and have found the K2 and Leki women's poles are designed specifically for women and fit comfortably in my hands.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are K2 too.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I have not thought about the actual grip of any ski pole dimensionally. Since my hands are swathed in mittens / gloves I am not sure it makes a difference. Not like a tennis racquet you know? Currently using Kerma poles and have no problem. Never had a problem in any pole grip truth be told...and I am petite.

abc

Banned
I guess I have not thought about the actual grip of any ski pole dimensionally. Since my hands are swathed in mittens / gloves I am not sure it makes a difference. Not like a tennis racquet you know? Currently using Kerma poles and have no problem. Never had a problem in any pole grip truth be told...and I am petite.
Second that.

Fortunately, ski poles are not like tennis rackets. I don't need precise control of the poles (not trying to spin the balls with my racket), and I only grip the poles loosely through thick mittens. For the simple function of swinging the pole forward, I don't find much problem with the grip size of the poles.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With my mittens on I wrapped my hand around my SO's pole grips and only my index, middle finger and thumb reached around the pole. I did the same with my Leki Balance and K2 women's poles and all my fingers wrap around the grip. Didn't pay attention to them today when I was skiing but I'm sure there are times when the smaller grips work better for me, like poling in the lift line.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never really paid much attention to my poles; they're sort of the afterthought in terms of ski gear, aren't they? Mine date from the 90s, I think, and I've never seen the point of replacing them until/unless I lose or break one. But last weekend, I caught the bottom of my pole in a patch of snow and it flew out of my hand during a run. Luckily it didn't hit anyone and a good samaritan tossed it down to me. I don't usually put the wrist straps on since I'm paranoid about breaking my wrist if I fall. But I realized I do have very fat pole handles and it's hard for me to get a good grip on them with my small hands and my mittens. Usually a non-issue but it might be worth looking into poles with smaller grips at some point, I suppose.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do think that some pole grips can be harder to grasp, or less comfortable to use, especially with mittens. Being kind of a touchy-feely person, I only use gloves mostly because I'm uncomfortable with pole grips with mittens on. I also don't have a female specific pole - I use the K2 4 speed which has a comfortable grip for me. My requisites for poles are light weight and comfortable grips and straps.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to say that I tested the poles barehanded first and I could only wrap my index and middle finger around my SO's pole grip. My mittens didn't affect my ability to grip either set of poles. The women's grips fit my "kindergarten" size hands much better.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
We had a set of poles for my son that had much smaller grips. When his instructor saw them, he scoffed and thought they were silly. After the first day, he asked where we got them because they were much easier to use than the normal poles.

For myself, I switched to the telescoping poles awhile back. I like being able to adjust the baskets, tips, and lengths for the terrain. Mine have fairly small grips.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna