• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski movie recommendation

alison wong

Angel Diva
Hi: Looking for ski movies / TV shows to mitigate my summer blues. Alternatively, movies / shows with ski slope sceneries will do. Thanks in advance for your reply.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fire On The Mountain is awesome, my favorite documentary. Ha I remember I watched it with my 85-yo mom. She really liked it too--she's no skier that's for sure but she lived through WW2 and appreciated the history. For drama, I loved Downhill Racer. For comedy, Hot Dog is a classic. For stunning scenery and skiing like I'll never do, Steep. There are a few threads in the forum here that might be interesting to peruse. Some are "Ski movie recommendations?", "My favorite "ski movie" of all time...", and "Ski movie night party:".

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
TGR has a bunch of films for just $5, they are usually entertaining: https://www.tetongravity.com/shop/films.html

There is supposedly an all-woman ski movie called Say My Name out there, but I have had a hard time tracking it down.

Streif has been on my list for awhile, even though I'm not a racer it looks super cool.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and Brooke Shields of all people - trailer seems ok! Added it to the top of my Netflix queue. Thx!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
oh oh oh - i love anything by sherpas cinemas, so "All I can" and "into the mind". and you'll see lots of Canadian Rockies too! they are amazing. for a taste of their style, you can also check out these 4 shorts they made banff/lake louise ski areas, and include fun profiles of 4 locals. I love the one about norquay and Eddie Hunter! https://www.skibig3.com/sherpas-movies/

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks Albertan ski girl for introducing me to Sherpas cinemas. I plan to watch their films on iTune. Last night, I watched the 4 short documentary films(by Sherpa) on youtube about LL/SSV/Norquay. Ditto, the artist and Eddie Hunter is my favorite. Got to see the terrains at Norquay for the 1st time. Next winter when I go back to Banff, I guess I will stick w/ SSV and LL. :wink:

I will check out Chalet girl as well, sounds like a fun chick flick movie.

2 Ski movies I got from the library recently:
1) L'enfant d'en haut =: Sister
-> a french movie. Description: Simon lives with his older sister in a housing complex below a luxury Swiss ski resort. Every day, he takes the lift up to the opulent ski world above, stealing equipment from rich tourists to resell to the local kids down in the valley. But when Simon partners with a crooked British seasonal worker, he begins to lose his boundaries, affecting his relationship with his sister and plummeting him into dangerous territory.

2) Force majeure
-> Swedish w/ French and english. Description: While on vacation in the Alps, a Swedish family experiences an avalanche that will change their family forever.

Both have english subtitles. Story lines are ok. But I get to see people skiing, what's there to complain?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
All of us baby boomers (skiers of course) have seen Downhill Racer. Always like watching it again.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you saying watching a young RR is the main reason for this movie? But there's a plot AND skiing. :wink:

alison wong

Angel Diva
Are you saying watching a young RR is the main reason for this movie? But there's a plot AND skiing. :wink:
I do like RR, one of the few male actors I am fond of...... which gives me another reason to watch this movie. Thanks for the recommendation again!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just watched Chalet Girl. It'll be in the mail tomorrow. Cute movie, incredible scenery.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ Chalet Girl: Never watched (sounds a wee bit cheesy) but some men are just handsome when they look 'bad', meaning not smiling but having that serious expression on their face.

Just watched Eddie the Eagle on the plane coming back from the UK. Very cute movie.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna