• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski App Recommendations?

Jilly

Staff member
I think we've been through this, but technology is such that new stuff appears every minute.

What app are you using to track your turns? (I have a Android, so apple apps out.) What about battery wear? This is my connection to the world when I'm away from home, I need it. Free or pay for it? I'm thinking I want to be geek this winter.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Funny you posted this, Jilly. I was just wondering about the same thing and almost put up a post about it! I do have an iPhone, so I'd be interested in any recommendations for those.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm Android too and have used Ski Tracks. I've found it fairly reliable, just a couple of times I couldn't get it to start logging, other than that it's been great. I can't remember if I paid for it or not.

In terms of battery useage, I never had a problem with it. When I was in Colorado last year, I had my data turned off though (exorbitant foreign data costs otherwise). Have used it here back home a few times and even with data on, my battery was fine, although I seem to remember it was getting a bit low last time but I had taken a pile of pictures too.

Rossignol have one too but I could never get it to work, although in all fairness, I took it off my phone maybe last year so it maybe great now or perhaps it just didn't like my phone (Sony Xperia Go).

CarolB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Iphone- Ski tracks or if I'm in a nerd mode and I want better data I just carry my Garmin with me.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used Alpine Replay the past 2 seasons and really like it. Never tried Ski Tracks, maybe I will this year for comparison's sake. Alpine Replay is easy to use, doesn't drain my battery or much data. The free version is good but you can get more stats if you upgrade to the paid version (I don't but know people who have). I use it every day on the hill, hit start before getting on the lift and forget about it for the day. And, I can log online when I get home to see trends, etc.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been using Phresheez for the last 3 (4?) years. I really like the named runs, difficulty ratings, and pie-chart stats, but having to pay to get more than 1 or 2 hours "unlocked" is irritating. It also includes a bunch of "games", but I don't really pay attention to that at all. I've also been really impressed with the accessibility and response speed of the development team - they are completely on top of any questions or issues that arise.

I've also used Ski Tracks and there's noting wrong with it, but it just didn't wow me. I will probably piddle around with Alpine Replay (or whatever its new name is) a few times this year, just to see.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I've used ski tracks for 3 seasons and I think it's great. I'm trying out Snocru this year because it has the same basic speed, altitude, etc. tracking like ski tracks but my friends and family can use snocru and we can have our own chat room within the app and you can see your "cru's" location on the mountain. My usual group of 5-9 people tends to get split up and get back together a lot during the day and we all text back and forth to meet up but it's a pain and I'm hoping this will make all that easier. It also has location of nearest ski shop, bars, important stuff! It's free. I think there's ads you can pay to remove but I don't know how annoying they are yet.
I got a juice pack for my phone this year to double my battery life since I also use it to listen to tunes.

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To use a ski app is the only reason I would like a smart for, maybe next season.
But from everything I have read on them the main thing is turn data off while skiing to save battery.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not an app, but I have to call out SlopeSquad, a site built by our very own @RachelV . You can track where you skied, where you plan to ski, and see where your friends are skiing. It does not currently integrate with GPS or anything like that. It's about the right level of detail for me - I don't need to see exactly which runs I skied (although the vertical in EpicMix is nice - just wish it were accurate. DH and I can ski exactly the same runs all day, but get different vert because the sensors didn't pick one of us up for some lift rides).

Jilly

Staff member
Yes Slope Squad is a necessity....If I have my pass scanned they can tell me how many days, but not how many trips up. And if I use RFID gate then it doesn't keep track at all. When we were at Roxy our instructor had on a Flak that she gave us the code to see. I kept a pdf copy of it. I see Tremblant is on the Phresheez list.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One other thing about GPS apps....most use readings every-so-often, coming up with a "speed" calculated between those 2 points. This means, especially on the mountain, due to the elevation change as well, you'll regularly get silly-stupid "top speed" readings. No, most of us aren't going 50-60 MPH on a regular basis, despite what these apps tend to show. That's part of the reason I use Phresheez - they don't record a "top speed" unless it's a sustained speed over, maybe 10 seconds (? I don't remember exactly what time measurement the developer told me at the time). Because of this, my speed readings are usually quite a bit lower than friends using other apps, but I'd guess they're a lot more accurate.

Just an FYI

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my Sister. I always benefit when she upgrades. She just got the iPhone 6+ so I get her 5s at a really nice discount just in time for my ski season. So now to decide on the ski app and y'all's input is really helpful. I do want to see my speed and like that volkigirl says it might give a more accurate speed. 5 days and counting until I leave for Co. Yeah!

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never used a t-bar. That will be interesting. I know othe adaptive skiers that have used them in Scotland.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never used a t-bar. That will be interesting. I know othe adaptive skiers that have used them in Scotland.

Ohh - I hadn't thought of that. I was just thinking of the sweet skiing in Horseshoe bowl. I don't know if Imperial Chair is open - that is a typical 4-pack, although getting to Whale's Tail requires some moderately uphill side-stepping ... is that something you can do?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@Dianna, your report on the skiing will play a large factor in whether I get on that plane in 9 days. So please post about your first couple of days on the hill. I'm looking forward to skiing with you and maybe some of the local CO Divas. :grouphug:

Dianna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey bounce, yes I can do some moderate side step but I am interested in the T-bar. I have actually never seen one working and I am always up for something new.

Skibum, I will certainly give a report but I think the local divas have given a much better report than I could. Plus the snow HAS to be way better than anything in Calif. Right now. Mt High opened so bear should be pretty soon but will be super limited terrain.

Look forward to seeing you and look forward to meeting some locals Divas too.

Dianna

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I expect it to be pretty crunchy tomorrow - no new snow this weekend, above freezing today, just below freezing tomorrow. Fingers crossed for more snow. But coverage is excellent.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't own a smartphone until this year, but now that I have an Android, I just downloaded Ski Tracks and plan to try it out this season. Not so much for speed or laps, but just because I'm curious about how much actual skiing I get in (versus time on the lift, in the lift line, standing around, etc.)

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
we use ski tracks. I have two kids in race club and there are ten of us skiing out of our mountain home that use it. All of us find it pretty easy to use and share info. The kids have used it to double check their speed and times on their GS race runs as well. Never tried anything else to compare as this works fine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna