• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rossignol Temptation 82s v. Volkl Kenjas

gonainie

Diva in Training
First I wanted to say that I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and find all of the posts fantastic and really useful. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

I demoed some skis at Hemel Hempstead recently and it's down between the Volkl Kenjas and Rossignol Temptation 82s. I've probably read everything that's been said about Volkl Kenjas at least twice (Google is simultaneously my best friend and worst enemy) and have probably been seduced by all the rave reviews, but at the same time am a bit scared because I would not describe myself as an aggressive skier *yet* and may very well be in that category of skiers that would be ridden by the Kenjas and not vice versa.

I enjoyed trying both skis but I'm not sure if I properly put them through their paces… just practiced going from wide to narrow turns for 6-8 runs each. Subjectively I liked the Kenjas best… they felt very solid and quick. The Rossis felt very easy to drive and are probably more appropriate for my level, but I have a total crush on the Kenjas and want to believe that I'll be ok on them. I haven't heard as much about the Temptations other than generally positive comments, and that Rossis as a brand generally are damper than Volkls which makes me think I'll be able to handle the Temptations easier. Has anyone had any experience/insight in comparing these models, specifically in regards to stiffness and suitability for not-particularly-aggressive intermediates? I read the expert skis for intermediates thread which has made me aware of Kenjas being on the stiffer and faster side.

I'm 5'4" / 130 lbs / petite, not really a conditioned athlete but reasonably strong legs (I like to tear it up at ice rinks). I only started skiing 6 months ago on indoor slopes with lessons, and got a bit of a rude awakening at L2A over Xmas break. I seemed to have a natural ability at the beginner and lower-intermediate levels but have gotten intimidated at the higher-intermediate levels with some pretty rough gos on red runs and even steeper blues. At the same time I'm stubbornly determined to keep taking lessons and read up as much as I can, so I know my technique and confidence will get there eventually. I've only done on-piste thus far but want an all-mountain in case I follow my boyfriend into ungroomed stuff.

p.s. I already have boots... Atomic M80s.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a new Kenja owner I'd recommend them to anyone, though I'd say you do need to be quite a powerful skier to get the best out of them. (I am 5'5" and the same weight as you -or I was before Christmas!!- and would call myself an advanced/expert).

However, given the limited time you've actually been on real snow (Hemel=an indoor "real snow slope" for all you North American ladies), I'd be tempted to put off a purchase and hire for your next trip. Or....being a bit cheeky-:wink:I have a nice pair of Head Great Ones (2009) in 159 which are now for disposal, having been replaced by the Kenja's. The Great Ones are a lovely ski and might be a neat bridge to the stiffer Kenja's. Let me know if you are interested. They are set up for boot length 285ish (there's a bit of travel in the bindings).
Sarah

gonainie

Diva in Training
Hi Perty! Nice to see a near-neighbor here. :smile:

You're right... hiring may be more practical but at 100 gbp a week it feels more worth it to find my pair of skis now esp. if I can research and demo, also it's hard to tell what midfats Skiset has. Wouldn't hurt to email them though.

I've read about Great Ones... that might work out! Will PM you.

gonainie

Diva in Training
Or....being a bit cheeky-:wink:I have a nice pair of Head Great Ones (2009) in 159 which are now for disposal, having been replaced by the Kenja's. The Great Ones are a lovely ski and might be a neat bridge to the stiffer Kenja's. Let me know if you are interested. They are set up for boot length 285ish (there's a bit of travel in the bindings).
Sarah

Hi Sarah,
Apparently I can't PM until I have a higher message count, so will respond in forum. Read up on Great Ones 2009 and although I'm sure they're fantastic skis they're a bit skinnier than what I'm aiming for and I know this is superficial but I'm not that keen on the look of the 2009s (probably biased by staring at pictures of pretty kenjas for too long). Good luck finding a new owner for them!

Jilly

Staff member
The Temptation is a new ski this year, that's why you're not seeing too many reviews.

This is a great ski and as you say a little softer. It's meant to be all mountain and loves snow not ice. I've had 2 models out for demo so far. But not the one you're looking at. It's not in the demo fleet here in eastern Canada. I may be going to the 2013 demo day for Rossi next month and maybe could get it there, but that might be too late for a review for you.

I don't know anything about the Volkl, they just aren't available for demo.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need a ski that will be easier for you to learn on. You really don't need a wide skis yet - the edge change is slower and you need good technique to be able to turn skis fast enough, otherwise the ski will be skiing you and not the other way around. If you are really set on one of the two models, then maybe Temptation will be a better ski, as it's softer than Kenja and have a rocker. Or look at Temptation 74 or 78 - they should be more user-friendly for you. And this is what you need to be looking at in a ski, not the width. You won't be able yet to take more advanced skis to places they were designed for, so get something easy and when you get the technique there will be even more and better skis and technology to choose from.

gonainie

Diva in Training
Hi Jilly,

Thanks for the Rossi feedback... glad to hear you liked them and don't seem as stiff. Did you try the wider 88s? Those look good as well but the Snow & Rock here has discounts specifically for the 82s. I suppose the other reservation I have about Temptations is that they're so easy to turn (~13m turn radius?)... might make me lazy and develop bad habits, but this is really just a minor concern!

gonainie

Diva in Training
You need a ski that will be easier for you to learn on. You really don't need a wide skis yet - the edge change is slower and you need good technique to be able to turn skis fast enough, otherwise the ski will be skiing you and not the other way around.

Thanks for the advice... yeah I have considered the tradeoff between width and turning radius. The good thing about Temptations though are they they're apparently easy to turn so I think I can afford to go to 82 and still be able to practice short radius turns easily enough. Based on what I've read, I wouldn't want to try for a mid fat with a turn radius more than 16m and these would be well under that. I will probably want to take them further out next season so looking for something that won't sink, but is still easy to use right now.

Jilly

Staff member
Review from a few weeks ago:

1. Rossi Temptation 82. I've been on the little sister 74's, so I wanted to try the wider waist. Just like their little sister's these skis were fun. But you really need to tip them over. The edge transfer was faster than my Conquer's at 84. But not a swift as my 8 or 12 attraxion. Now we do have a little bit (a bit???lots!!!) of that white ice. They did not like it at all!! I think too soft. They did handle any hardpack snow, but not the ice. This would be a good Jay Peak, Sugarloaf or out west ski.

Now, I'll go find the 74 review, it was the end of last year.

Jilly

Staff member
And another one.

Temptation 74's. I had to take these out again. Segac said she's never heard anyone whoop before skiing, unless in destress. This skis were on rails. I had out the 156, but think longer would have been better. The fronts seems short almost like they were centre mounted, which they weren't. I still want to try the 78's to compare with the S series from this year.

I think there is still another review. I'll keep looking.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup found it.

. Rossi - now, I'm a Rossi girl. Got 2 in the quiver. So I tried out the new Temptation series. They offered a 74 and 78 underfoot. Took out both. These guys are rockered and considered freeride. I kinda like these. They didn't really hold the hardpack, but they were way better than the Dynastar's, their cousins!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Jilly,

Thanks for the Rossi feedback... glad to hear you liked them and don't seem as stiff. Did you try the wider 88s? Those look good as well but the Snow & Rock here has discounts specifically for the 82s. I suppose the other reservation I have about Temptations is that they're so easy to turn (~13m turn radius?)... might make me lazy and develop bad habits, but this is really just a minor concern!

You don't want bigger radius. Bad habbits may come from having to throw around skis that you can't yet turn properly. 13 m is a good radius. But don't go wider - you need to be putting skis on edge etc. And you need to be able to do it in the mountains in somewhat different conditions that you demo-ed the skis in. You need to progress and to do it fast you need skis that will be help not a hindrance.

Jilly

Staff member
OK, lets go back. The Temptations are easy to turn because they have an early rise tip. The tip can't get hooked when you turn. It has nothing to do with the radius. That's in the side cut of the ski.

At your level you should be looking at a good all mountain ski. Either of these skis the Kenja or the Temptations would fit. Nothing wrong with the 82's. My Conquer's are that width, and I only ski them on big mountains that have snow!

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry I can't persuade you to take a go on the Great Ones! The more recent versions don't have the mountain photo graphics, if you remain tempted. Ebay is a good place to look.

I second the view that not too wide and not too stiff would be better at your level as it's easier to improve your technique-otherwise you will be battling too much with the skis. Bear in mind in the Alps (despite the wonderful conditions they have at the mo), you do need something with good grip on piste. Length is also something to consider-at your height and level you probably need something around 155cm, but as you advance you will want to extend that by about 5-10cm. Buy them too long now (my length Kenja's are in 163) and you will struggle, especially as they are skis that want to go fast and bumps will be a struggle.

I would take my GO's into powder and at 78 underfoot they were fine for first goes in powder. I would say 80-82mm underfoot would be a good start for an all mountain ski.

You sound like you've made up your mind (:laugh:there IS something about having and stroking a nice shiny new pair of skis parked in the hallway :smile:) ; I know that rental costs are something to take into account, however:
-online rental before you go is usually cheaper than renting in resort-don't feel obliged to plump for your tour operator's offer when you book, it pays to shop around;
-don't forget ski carriage costs often have to be factored in;
-you can probably buy a second hand pair of intermediate all mountain skis (or even previous season's new ones) on ebay and then flog em without losing much. In my recent experience I have sold one pair of well used K2 Burnin' Luv's for £170 (cost £400) and my beloved sold some Rossi Z5s for about £130 (paid £220 for them as end of season bargains).
Sarah

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my kenja's a lot too but as has been stated they may not be the best ski to learn on just now for you. I too have the 163's and I'm 5'4" 125lbs... so just about your size, but 163 is to the top of my head because I'm an advanced skier and don't like short... I'd probably hold off on going long until you feel more confident in your ability and rate yourself more of an advanced skier. The Kenja's are awesome at gripping in hard conditions on piste, but all depends on if you feel you can turn and flex them easily enough if they'd be good for you, if not, then you want to go with something a bit thinner and less stiff most likely.

gonainie

Diva in Training
Thanks everyone for the advice! I feel a lot better about letting go of the Kenjas now and will aim for the Temptation 78 or 82s. Will get a sexier upgrade when I have a couple years under my belt.

I know that rental costs are something to take into account, however:
-online rental before you go is usually cheaper than renting in resort-don't feel obliged to plump for your tour operator's offer when you book, it pays to shop around;
-don't forget ski carriage costs often have to be factored in;
-you can probably buy a second hand pair of intermediate all mountain skis (or even previous season's new ones) on ebay and then flog em without losing much. In my recent experience I have sold one pair of well used K2 Burnin' Luv's for £170 (cost £400) and my beloved sold some Rossi Z5s for about £130 (paid £220 for them as end of season bargains).
Sarah

Yep, my boyfriend is pretty seasoned so he's trained me to look for deals... my current addiction being looking at ebay.de and sport-conrad. Part of why I've been seriously considering the Kenjas is the fact that there's a good deal on this German site.

Would love to get a great deal on old season or second hand but it's hard when you get your heart set on specific things and the good deals online aren't accessible to demo locally!

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Temptation 82 will be a great choice.
I'm also an intermediate and thought it was really easy to ski (and BTW skis short) and turn, but I don't think you'll outgrow it too soon. Maybe when you're ready to upgrade to longer, stiffer Kenjas it can still be your bump/ little bita powder ski.
:goodluck:

gonainie

Diva in Training
So just a followup... I bought the Temptation 82s with the recommended Rossi bindings and just came back from a week of skiing in Val D'Anniviers in Switzerland.

I don't have many points for comparison, but these skis felt SOOO good and easy. It makes me wonder if the skis I hired on the previous trip (K2 Comanches, unisex) were just wrong for me to the point that they killed my confidence.

The Temptations were really easy to turn (methinks the "autoturn" technology they use in marketing might have something to it)... I even did a few black runs and steeper icy bits without any problems. Last trip I had a problem with keeping my weight too far back and landing on my bum, but that wasn't a factor at all with the Temptations.

Of course, it could be that I'm more experienced now but at least I've established a trusting and loving relationship with my skis!

https://g3.y3m.net/travel/snow/zinal-2012

My boyfriend also took me off to the sidecountry powdery bits and they held up fine there as well. We're done skiing for this season... next trip will probably be a long one somewhere in N America and I can't wait!

shell nyc

Certified Ski Diva
Awesome! Sounds like you made a good choice!

I too purchased the Temptation 82s as my first ski. I’ve found them super fun and easy to ski. I’ve heard of hero snow but these are my hero skis...I feel like I can take on anything with them. Everything from Northeast “hardpack” to bumps and trees and even a powder day in UT (although finding waist-deep stashes off of High-Baldy would have probably been more fun in something a bit (a lot!) wider :wink: )

gonainie

Diva in Training
Everything from Northeast “hardpack” to bumps and trees and even a powder day in UT (although finding waist-deep stashes off of High-Baldy would have probably been more fun in something a bit (a lot!) wider :wink: )

Yeah our next big trip will probably be in Utah or Jackson, WY. May have to borrow some 100-waisters for that! The "powder" I've dealt with in Europe thus far has only been a few inches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly