• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rossignol S7W, 2012

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After wading down the hill on my Tierras through inches of nasty wet slush last Thurs, and sounding out the Divas on this matter, I decided it was time to experiment with a fatter ski. The one I was lucky enough to be able to try was next-years Rossignol S7W (is basically the same ski as this past year's 110).

Specs: 168s, twin-tip, rockered and cambered, 140/110/118

I waited until the lower mountain developed mashed potatoes and slushy loose gran (but not wet loose gran) to try these out.

When I demoed for an all-mountain ski, I knew immediately that the Tierra was the right one for me - they felt like they had grown out of my own foot, and they started talking to me instantly. These skis are like a pair of excitable puppies who *almost* always remember that they need to heel and sit. And when they forget, and I remind them, they behave. But they are really high energy and a very exciting ski that engages my attention fully.

The Rossis were a very different experience, beyond just being a wider ski. They did not talk to me right away, like my Tierras did. In fact, they were so quiet and subdued as we made the traverse to the lift I wanted that I thought, sadly - because these graphics are AWESOME - that they were not going to turn out to be my ski.

I'd planned to drive them down one of the lower-mountain green cruisers, because the snow there was the mushiest I could find on the hill - and since I was shopping for a ski for the 3 days we have powder, and the 30 days we have slush, I wanted the nastiest, softest snow available.

I checked out the run from the lift. The green I'd planned on runs off to skier's left, and there's a nice short rolling blue to skier's right.

This is when the Rossis started to talk.
"Let's go down that blue" they said. "It's got bumps."
"What?" I said. "You are a big fat powder ski. What are you talking about bumps for?"
"Hmph." they said. "You should take us into those bumps. They look like fun."
"No," I said. "I have just spent the last 2 hours pounding the bumps on my Tierras. I will take you on that green cruiser."
They sulked a little, and just kept saying "bumps. bumps. bumps. bumps." over and over again, quietly, but persistently.

I gave in. "Do not blame me if this is a disaster," I told them. "There is probably ice on this slope."
"Oh, ice." they said. "Who cares?"
"You are big fat powder skis" I said. "You are not meant for ice."
"Don't be silly," they said. "We can handle ice. Now let's go ski those bumps!"

That's when they *really* woke up. We hit those bumps and ripped them up like they weren't even there.
"WOOOOO!" the skis said.
"WOOOOOO!" I said.

And they were right. There was ice, and they didn't care. They didn't grab the ice and wring it until it screamed, like my Tierras did, but they weren't put out of joint, either.

AND they carved. The guy at the shop had told me not to be afraid to put these skis on edge, and so I did, and they made some ripping great carved turns. If I am not mistaken, the turn radius is no longer, and possibly shorter, than the turn radius on my Tierra 161s. Crazy.

We headed for a mass of big chop at the base of the hill, and they started talking to me again.

"We should catch some AIR!" they said.
"Are you insane?" I said.
"Silly!" they said. "We are not your stinky old Tierras. We will not dump you. We are MADE to be in the air. This is why our bottoms are just as pretty as our tops. Ski right at that little bump, and just shoot right up it! You will see!"

And so it happened. By the time that run was through, I was actually heading for little bumps so I could get a bit of air.

They made incredibly short work of the big bumps on the steep section of the run, too. And I didn't even really realize what I'd been skiing on until I got back on the lift and looked down to admire the graphics, and saw that my boots were thoroughly encrusted with loose granular and slush. After 2 hours, the skis were ready to come home with me, and I was ready to take them.

I am astonished at the range of performance these skis delivered. In particular, I can't get over how (relatively) easy they were to put on edge and carve, and how decently they handled the hardpack and boilerplate, and just how fun they made the slush and soft bumps. It was like pulling teeth to unclip and pack it in for the day, even after spending 4 hours pounding the bumps. The fact that they were easily the coolest looking ski in the rack was a definite plus, but the performance is really the thing that blows my mind. A great second ski - I thought I was just getting one for pow and slush, but it looks like this is going to be my bump ski as well. Who knew?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry guys - I spaced out and thought I'd put this in the Gear Review section. If a mod can move it, that would be awesome - I don't seem to have the tools for that.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Another wonderful "aha" moment.
:clap:
Buy These Skis NOW.
(or forever hold your peace?) :laugh:
You know you have to.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Believe me. I already have. I was NOT leaving without them! I got DH to take a picture, but I thought I looked fat and did not want to post it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You post reminds me of my 1st time on mine. I didn't demo, the gals at Outdoor Divas convined me I should buy them. They looked so wide and long. I was sure they would kill me. Conditions weren't great that day but I was tired of waiting to try them. I started on a blue groomer but then I saw a gully on the side of it. I had not seen that gully before! My skis said, "go for it, it looks like fun", after 2-3 times on that run we kept looking for more challenging things to do. We ended up in some days old, crappy snow and my skis were loving it. By the end of the day I was singing their praises to the lift ops and they we soooo jealous.

Funny thing about all this, my Head Wild Ones are now trying to prove they can keep up with my Rossi's!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kids and DH and I LOVE to read your reviews. Hilarious! And awesome that you found another ski to love! Since I am a big Tierra fan I might have to check the Rossis out as well. It seems we have similar tastes! I want to see the picture (presumably fat or not!)!!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here we are, me in my grubby just-home-from-the-hill splendor, and the skis substantially cleaner than I am. I used the "US Weekly" approach to dealing with the offensive part of the picture. My softshell had hoiked up and made rolls like the Michelin Man. You'd think that after 8 years, Mr. Serafina would have noticed this and let me know to fix it, but no.

s7wa.jpg

For those who have not yet experienced the Glory That These Ski Graphics Are:
s7women_top.jpg

And the equally impressive base art:
s7women_base.jpg

I just had to go down to the mudroom and touch them again.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the end of the day I was singing their praises to the lift ops and they we soooo jealous.

Funny thing about all this, my Head Wild Ones are now trying to prove they can keep up with my Rossi's!

:ROTF: I had to work hard not to boast about these things to the lifties! And I am pretty sure I heard the Rossis and the Tierras start to bicker in the back seat on the way home. :laugh:

B

B.E.G.

Gorgeous skis! This makes me a want a pair of fatties - I'm absolutely adoring the graphics on these, though I do love the Kiku still :smile: But I do NOT need another pair of skis!

Serafina, your reviews kill me - love them!

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:ROTF: I had to work hard not to boast about these things to the lifties! And I am pretty sure I heard the Rossis and the Tierras start to bicker in the back seat on the way home. :laugh:

Keep those new sibs in separate rooms so they don't fight. Love the picture and the graphics, and I think you look FABULOUS!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hands down the most fun reviews to read! :clap:

Think I'll have to demo fatter Rossis next winter when I get back out west. The Kenja too. Although maybe I'll get lucky and there will be something left to play with at Alta in late April.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been skiing my boyfriends S3s and loving them as well :thumbsup:

One thing I would say, from memory you have similar stats to me and I've been skiing the 178cm ski and wishing it was longer. It might be too late but if you can swap these I would SERIOUSLY think about demoing the bigger size, it still turns like a slalom ski and is great fun on piste.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Here we are, me in my grubby just-home-from-the-hill splendor, and the skis substantially cleaner than I am. I used the "US Weekly" approach to dealing with the offensive part of the picture. My softshell had hoiked up and made rolls like the Michelin Man. You'd think that after 8 years, Mr. Serafina would have noticed this and let me know to fix it, but no.

s7wa.jpg

For those who have not yet experienced the Glory That These Ski Graphics Are:
s7women_top.jpg

And the equally impressive base art:
s7women_base.jpg

I just had to go down to the mudroom and touch them again.

OMG!!!!! Your photo editing is genius!!!!!!!:doh: I am so going to do that from now on!!!!! And the S7 skis as good as it looks!:thumbsup:Nice choice!!!!

juliensharp

Diva in Training
Vertically challenged...

...at just 5'3", but salivating over these S7w skis. I ski fine on Volkl Kiku 162s but worried the 168 might be too long...h

ikkin

Certified Ski Diva
I am 5'3''. I rock the 176s S7ws. They ski easy and turn fast. I think you'll be fine on the 168s.

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love these ski's. I ended up buying both sizes as i'd already bought the 168cm in the S110W and then I got a call fom a local shop saying they had one pair of 2012 S7W in stock in the bigger size. They sent me through a photo and I bought them straight away. I didn't know what size would work fr me, but suprisingly I love them both.

Now just to work out which size to take to Canada this year :-)

josiegroper

Certified Ski Diva
I got last years version of these skis, the S110W. I absolutely love them on all terrain! This year's graphics are even better than last years, but I still got a lot of guys complimenting me on the graphics of the skis.

I am 4'10" tall and got the 159's because that was all that they had left and I asked if they could get me the 168's but they said they would not sell them to me at my size. Oh well, these work great for me anyway! :smile:

Love the stories!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly