• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

rollerskis

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I know at some point SPring will arrive and snow will not be aorund. Thus thinking of what would be fun in the off season to do and have started to wonder about roller skis. Have never done it yet seen people on them. Looks kinda fun and see they have both fast to slow wheels which appeals to me, not liking going to fast but wanting a bit of speed.

So am wondering are there any Divas out there who have used them recently? What do you think of them and would you have any suggestions as to what to look for for a first time user of them. Also an odd question, Can they do any turning or just skating?

Lastly can any types be used on a bike trial that is not pavement but hard pack and some gravel.
If others like them and use them where would you suggest getting them at a reasonable price. I would need both boots, bindings and skis?
Thanks think snow for us New Englanders!!

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Street Skis

I'm planning on buying a pair of Street Skis for spring/summer. They are a bit more expensive, but they come with Marker bindings and more wheels than Roller Skis.

Check em out:
https://www.streetski.com/

Be sure to watch the Audi commercial they filmed in San Francisco with a guy wearing the Street Skis! Awesome!!!

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The commercial is fantastic!!!!

I never seen this street-skis before .... Can they be used on steep downhill roads? Or even off-road?

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not sure about the off road use, but they can be used on steep downhill. The Audi commercial was filmed with the skier wearing the actual Street Ski and then photo-shopped to look like real skis. San Francisco is very steep where they shot the film.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've checked into various forms of these rollerskis. And a skibum physician I work with uses them. But he will tell you that they don't turn well, and stopping can be difficult. Have you ever inlined down an inclined surface? Pretty hard to stop with those too. Maybe these are something recently reinvented?

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I would prefer the Mountainboards ---> https://www.mbs.com/
I think you can even have it with some breaks?!:rolleyes:

And you could use it going downhill in all terrains and with a kite .... :becky:

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was thinking roller skis vs street skis cause I want the exercise and feel of skiing on flat terrain and to use on flat mostly and not sure I want to use my ski boots in the heat of summer.
Also I like skis cause I am flat on ground the more wheels one has the less balance you would have I would think. Never did well with roller skates or skate boards so wondered if roller skis would be any easier.
Which of streetskis or roller skis are easier to stop?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I have rollerskis - they are to simulate cross-country skate skiing. I only use them on flat-ish nicely paved surfaces. They do make a model with pneumatic wheels that can be taken on rougher surfaces: https://reliableracing.com/detail.cfm?edp=11155819

They are used with cross-country ski boots, which aren't hot like downhill boots are.

The motion of skate skiing, similar to rollerblading, is great training for downhill skiing. These rollerskis come with brakes, too. So you get the workout without having to worry about racing down a hill on a hard paved road and then having to stop.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SKIKE SKATES

Has anybody tried these? the seem more accommodating and practical than some of the other forms of off-road skates. Come with a brake as do Gateskates. I'm a little bored inlining where it's flat...need more "terrain" but not a big hill either. Going down any incline on my inlines is pretty scary unless I have a decent runout.:eek:

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Level of Skates

I have only used inline skates a few times in a rink. I did fairly well, but that that was a few years ago. I was a pretty good skater as a kid, but, well, that was REALLY a few years ago. I know it is recommended to get skates that match your skill level. As regards skates, I would say beginner. But I am an advanced skier and don't want to spend a bunch of money on skates that I will outgrow quickly. Would intermediate skates be a stretch? Or even advanced-intermediate?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skates

In another thread I mentioned that I had purchased SKIKE skates. These are all-terrain and have pneumatic tires; can go on any form of hard surface, grass, hills, dirt, etc. They are used with nordic poles. Tire pressure at about 80=85 psi, but can go to 100. They are made in Germany and can be purchased through a few retailers online. Skates.com has them on sale. What a workout! Compared to other forms of similar kinds of skates, these have a shorter footprint, are easier to manuver, are fitted with an effective brake system, and are just plain FUN!
Google for info.

SuZieCoyote

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skike

Thanks!

I have looked at Skikes and wondered if they would be a good choice. With your input, I'm close to getting a pair.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can also purchase a set of Reverse Lock back wheels for preventing backwards rolling if you're going uphill. Haven't tried those on the skates yet, but did buy some for the future in case I get to a point where I'm good enough to be going uphill! To brake, you just stand up straight and lean a tad backward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna