• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rollerblading Divas?

Jilly

Staff member
Sorry to take so long ski&befree. The Athena can only use the 78mm wheels. Locally here they are going for $149 and that's not the box store. Go up a model or two really. The chassis and shock absorption are better.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski&BeFree, OOOH...sorry, I made a mistake! I have the CELENA skate. It has the 90mm wheels. Very nice skate and should be perfect for you.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to take so long ski&befree. The Athena can only use the 78mm wheels. Locally here they are going for $149 and that's not the box store. Go up a model or two really. The chassis and shock absorption are better.

Thanks for looking into that for me.

I will have to keep looking then. I don't have other options besides the box stores here. I'll have to see what London has, but I don't feel like driving an hour away.

Ski&BeFree, OOOH...sorry, I made a mistake! I have the CELENA skate. It has the 90mm wheels. Very nice skate and should be perfect for you.

It's the pink frame, right? If so...Loveeeeee the look of the Celena! Haven't seen it around here, though!

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bought the Athenas! Will pick them up tomorrow...so excited:D

The wheels said 80 mm so I figured that would be ok.

Jilly

Staff member
Yea!! And if you grow out of them, as in speed, you can easily sell them to another. Just like skis!!

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you guys track your miles at all? If so, what type of equipment do you use (brand?). I'd like to start keeping track of how far I go and possibly the speed at which I am traveling. Is this possible on rollerblades?

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you guys track your miles at all? If so, what type of equipment do you use (brand?). I'd like to start keeping track of how far I go and possibly the speed at which I am traveling. Is this possible on rollerblades?

I use a GPS made for runners. I have an old one, I think it is a Forerunner 201. It tracks speed/pace, total miles and time, lap times etc. The newer models include heart rate and the information can be used to show a Google map with times, speed etc.

I haven't upgraded to a newer model because the newer models have a plastic watch band that doesn't go around my wrist guards. That and I don't really need the extra bells and whistles. I just want to know my current speed, average speed and distance.

Roe

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,
I teach inline skating, but in the Washington D.C. area. Inline skating is an awesome way to train for ski season. If you have never started, you should see if there are any skate schools in your area, there is a great skate to ski class, that does an excellent job simulating downhill skiing, perhaps a skate school near where you live might offer the class. Good Luck and have fun skating.
Roe

Roe

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Marian,
I live in Virginia, I used to skate Rock Creek and in D.C. late on Friday nights and early on Sunday nights (I haven't done that in awhile), but I have been on the Capital Crescent Trail, the Mount Vernon Trail, Four Mile Run, and the W,O and D Trail, and around my neighborhood (Burke, VA) and of course there are some really good parking lots that are well paved, if you would like to go for a skate, let me know.
Have a great weekend,
Roe

skiOR

Diva in Training
Inline skating seems fun!

I bought some K2 Celenas as my first pair of skates. They are easy to stay on top of and get going -- I still need to get the braking down, but that will come with more practice. I also found a great person who can give some incentive and she even does a ton of alpine skiing -- check out Liz Miller and her Get Rolling website! Anyway, I look forward to increasing my skills since it seems like good exercise and is fun. I bought some crash pants too - just to be safe! Kind of makes you feel like the "Michelin Man" but if it saves my tailbone, then that's ok!

abc

Banned
I know people who had ice-skated found it easy to pick up rollerblading. But does it make sense to learn to ice skate first before learning rollerblading? Assuming one wants to learn ice skating anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is, which one is easier to learn, ice skating or rollerblading? On casual observation, seems rollerblading might be easier to stay up but each fall is harder on the body, which falling on ice surfaces might be a bit less tramatic even though a learner falls more often...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm no expert but..... I learned to iceskate not long after learning to walk, so when I tried rollerblading I picked it up quite easily. I did have to figure out how to work my brakes, the ones where you slide one foot forward and the brake goes down in back with both sets of wheels still on the pavement. What helped (saved) me most was learning on a bike path with grass on both sides. Landing on the grass was much better than pavement or ice!

Anna

Angel Diva
*Bump* Inlines and Quad Skates are AWESOME!!!

I just got my new Quads:
Piggies%2525201.jpg

I actually went into the shop to replace my OLD OLD OLD Roces (Bought 1994) but the new boots have massive puffy cuffs as part of the liner and i can't wear them for the pain of my enlarged fatty scar tissue on my ankle (From car smash when I was 8) ... so, I turned to quads :smile:

I have changed all my wheels and bearings on my inlines nad so now i have AWESOME smooth blades and skates :smile::smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna