• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rollerblading Divas?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always run for my off-season exercise, but with the old knee thing, I want to diversify. Rollerblades or inline skates look like a blast---low impact, and easy to do on a lunch break.

Do any Divas rollerblade? Where does one start? Just buy a pair, (or rent--from where?) :confused::confused:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too, wanted to get running this spring; however I injured my knee skiing this January and it still does not feel great if I run on it. So...I decided to try rollerblading as an alternative. Like skiing, I wanted to take a lesson before just going out and buying skates and all the safety gear. I discovered Skatelog Forum which is almost identical to this one! Much information available. I took a lesson from a certified instructor to get started. I then purchased skates, helmet, etc. The trick is finding an area to skate safely while learning. If you research through skate websites you will find people in your area that can help you get on the right track. I also realized pretty quickly that this sport requires strengthening of the back muscles! Let me know how you do. It's good to know there are ladies out there going through the same issues. My instructor said that most of the people she teaches are over 45.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been inline skating (genetric term) for years. Please get a good pair of skates. K2 or Rollerblade both have good boots and wheels. I use Salomon, but I think that they are no longer available. Depending on where you skate you can do GS turns, short slalom type turns and its a great work out for the ad/abductors. I've a friend that lost 2" within a month of starting to skate on her hips. As for where - anywhere the pavement is level and without holes. Try paved bike paths for example. That's what we have here. It's a paved trail open to everyone. So watch out for little dogs on retractable leashes.
To start I take people to a large, not used parking lot. Remember to purchase all the safety gear. Knee, elbow and wrist guards. Not every landing will be on grass. If you ever taken power skating, then you're in luck. If not think XC skating on skis. I was lucky and took my inline with a certified CanSkate instructor. They teach the basics of skating (ice) which she translated into inline. Sounds like badger's website supports this idea. So see if there is a club, instructor etc in your area. Check out stores that are not the "box" stores as they are more likely to know about instructors. Good luck, its a great off season sport for us skiers.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you know in-line skating burns the same number of calories as running without the stress on joints (assuming you're using pads or not falling :redface:)?

I've been skating for years. Currently on K2s, but used to have Salomon and Rollerblade before that. Make sure that you fit your skates just like your ski boots and that they give you plenty of ankle support. Plan on paying $100 or more. Practice, practice, practice using that rear brake until you can lay down a black rubber trail while stopping before heading out to busier trails or roads.

Marian

Angel Diva
Rollerblading DC; Blading tours? Good places?

Someone messaged me back to say she also blades in the DC area. In front of the White House is kind of convenient. Rock Creek Park has real paths. Hains Point is also pretty convenient. Looking for blading partners - a great dry weather activity, and not only warm weather. I've been meaning to book an inline tour trip. There's one up in Penna through part of Lancaster County. There's another literally skating across the Netherlands, but currently not in my budget. How about skate spots in Philly or elsewhere close by? Boston or NYC could be interesting for 2-3 days if planned well ahead.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love inline skating and I think it has actually helped my skiing, particularly with balance and shifting weight from one foot to the other. I also took lessons to get started and I wear all available safety equipment. Good luck!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yep, I'm a skater too, and so is Miss Swamp Dog:

rollerdog1.jpg

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someone messaged me back to say she also blades in the DC area. In front of the White House is kind of convenient. Rock Creek Park has real paths. Hains Point is also pretty convenient. Looking for blading partners - a great dry weather activity, and not only warm weather. I've been meaning to book an inline tour trip. There's one up in Penna through part of Lancaster County. There's another literally skating across the Netherlands, but currently not in my budget. How about skate spots in Philly or elsewhere close by? Boston or NYC could be interesting for 2-3 days if planned well ahead.

There is a 12.5 mile trail around BWI airport. I know it can be accessed from the International Terminal but I’m sure it can be accessed from other places as well. I've never skated there but I know several skaters that use the trail.

The Schuylkill River Trail in Philly is a terrific place to skate. It starts from the Perkiomen Trail and goes all of the way to Philly’s Art Museum (of Rocky fame). I believe that in Manayunk there is an unpaved canal tow path but I’ve never skated to Manayunk. I usually park at the Betzwood picnic area and head left on the trail to the Perkiomen trail head and then backtrack and head towards Philly. My usual skate was a little less than 20 miles round trip.

Philly’s Fairmont Park is another popular skate. It is an 8 mile loop and also goes by the Art Museum and along the Schuylkill River. They used to close Kelly Drive, part of the loop, to car traffic on Saturday (Sunday?) mornings but I’m not sure if they still do this. It's a nice skate.

Philly also has the Landskaters in-line club. I have only gone on the slower recreational city skates which meet at the Art Museum on the first Sunday of the month. The group is friendly and welcoming to new or occasional participants.

Most of my long skating now is in Lewes, Delaware since my in-laws live there. You can park at the high school and head over the bridge, turn right onto Cape Henlopen Drive and head past the ferry and then continue into Cape Henlopen State Park, which has beautifully maintained paved trails. After hitting all of those trails, I then head out of the park, past the ferry and past the first bridge, make a little jog at Dairy Queen and then onto Cedar until it dead ends at the river inlet. I then backtrack, head over the Rt 9 drawbridge and turn right onto Pilot Town Rd and skate down to inlet again. From there I frequently cut through Pilot Town until I get to the Village of Five Points and skate around there until I eventually head back on either Gills Neck Rd.or Kings Highway to the high school. I’ve never mapped it but I would think it would be 20-25+ miles of flat nice pavement. There are enough bicyclists that cars give you respect in the few areas where there is not a wide shoulder (Pilot Town). Rehoboth Beach gets too much traffic for me to feel safe skating there.

Where I live the main roads aren’t suited for skating so most of my skating now is in a local housing development. It is a nice quiet flat (flat is rare here) housing tract with virtually no cars parked on the street and very little traffic. I have a 0.8 mile loop where I skate between 6-12 miles a day. Not very exciting but at least I can skate.

You might want to check out

https://www.skatelogforum.com/

I agree that inline skating doesn't have to be a warm weather activity. I'll head out if as long it is in double digits. Single digit temps, which fortunately are rare here, I avoid because my toes get too cold. Instead of skating, I hike and geocache in singe digit temps.

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that inline skating doesn't have to be a warm weather activity. I'll head out if as long it is in double digits. Single digit temps, which fortunately are rare here, I avoid because my toes get too cold. Instead of skating, I hike and geocache in singe digit temps.

another geocacher here. Usually single digit temps mean snow so we haven't been out geocaching in a while. Although if this melting keeps up...

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I'm another rollerblader! It's great exercise! I mostly go to my local bike path for it.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking into buying a pair of K2 Athenas. Anyone have any experience with these? Like/dislike? I read a very brief review online which stated they found the wheels to be slow? I always thought of K2 as a decent brand for blades.

Price is around $100-$120 CAD.

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking into buying a pair of K2 Athenas. Anyone have any experience with these? Like/dislike? I read a very brief review online which stated they found the wheels to be slow? I always thought of K2 as a decent brand for blades.

Price is around $100-$120 CAD.

I tried a pair on when I was sizing K2s since I wasn't sure about the size. The Athena's seemed like a good choice for a beginner to intermediate skater. I am trying to increase my speed so I ended up ordering the Radical 90. The 90 mm wheels should be interesting.

I actually received the skates but I didn't want to take them out when there was still salt on the road so I have been using my old skates. It's time to get them out.

Well, now that I type that I realize that it's not really the salt on the road since the roads haven't been salted in several weeks. I haven't used them because the thought of the 90 mm wheels is intimidating. :redface: I need to try them out. I'll report back.

Jilly

Staff member
K2 is all our local guy sells here. Mine are old and Salomon. I was looking at a pair of K2's but they sold out before I could grab them. So SkiBob put me in the Salomons. Salomon is now out of the inline skates.

Let me check with him tomorrow and see how much bigger wheels you could replace them with.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I've had a pair of Rollerblades from Sports Authority (~150) for quite a few years. What's different about mine than most I see is that my brakes work by moving the right foot forward and brake goes down. This is without picking part of either foot off the ground and was much easier to learn with. I don't see these around, so I wonder whether they kept making this type of brake? I have poor foot structure and was not able to use the usual brakes.

It's hard to blade in my hilly neighborhood, but, as others have said, bike trails (locally a "rail trail") are perfect. At my dad's in FL there's a bike trail on the lakeside of the island that was fabulous to learn on-loosing control? ---land on the grass. And, of course, the views are spectacular. I bike the path to the northern tip of the island in the morning and rollerblade in the afternoon; I'll be heading there Sunday to spend Easter week.

And the year our slopes didn't open until Christmas and we couldn't start racing 'til January, I bladed over Christmas and did extremely well when we finally did start racing. I credit the cross training on the Rollerblades! :dance:

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 is all our local guy sells here. Mine are old and Salomon. I was looking at a pair of K2's but they sold out before I could grab them. So SkiBob put me in the Salomons. Salomon is now out of the inline skates.

Let me check with him tomorrow and see how much bigger wheels you could replace them with.

Let me know if you came up with anything with Skibob. I would like to purchase them this weekend...the weather is gorgeous out, I need an excuse to abandon my huge list of papers and projects:D

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are they the black and gold skates? I believe those are what I have...been awhile since I looked at the name. However the 90mm wheels were such an improvement over the 78mm on my beginner skates that I feel as though I have left behind the Yugo for a Cadillac. great fit, great looking , and pretty fast. Love them. Also, K2 states they are thge top-of-the-line Fitness skate. Whatever you buy, just remember that your shoe size may actually be too big. You may want to go down a size!

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gosh, I haven't rollerbladed in years! Seeing this makes me think about dusting them off to see how I would do with 'em.

Kind of hard to find a good place around here though...

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However the 90mm wheels were such an improvement over the 78mm on my beginner skates that I feel as though I have left behind the Yugo for a Cadillac. !

Ugh, the one's I'm eyeing come with 78 mm wheels. I'm way past beginner stage - can actually say I'm a solid intermediate. Do you think the 78mm will slow me down?

K2 Athena - not crazy about the baby blue laces, will most likely change to black.
K2_ath1.jpg

I know it's easy to change wheels on a rollerblade, you just use the allen key. But can you use rollerblades that come with 78 mm wheels and swap those for bigger ones? All of the blades I'm looking at come in 78.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The ability to change wheel sizes depends on what size your skates are. With my little size 24, I can only go up to 80mm. Check your owners manual, on line, or on the inside of the wheel frame to see if there's a maximum wheel size printed somewhere.

I LOVE my K2 skates!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna