• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recipe Organization

Jenny

Angel Diva
I'll preface this by saying that I don't really like to cook, but I'm always full of big ideas . . .

So I have a collection of ripped out pages from magazines and other places with recipes that I think about making someday, but never do, and I want to organize them somehow.

I could just stuff them into sheet protectors and then in a notebook, but that's barely a step up from throwing them all in a shoebox as is and calling it done. Anyone got any software they've used that's easy to enter them into? It would be nice if I could calculate calories, or adjust the number of servings, too.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Do you use a Mac? If so, you might like MacGourmet Deluxe. That's what I use, and I love it. It makes it really easy to import recipes from the web or input them yourself, and it's a great way to stay organized. You can use it to generate shopping lists, too, which is nice.

Jilly

Staff member
I love my file folders. I'd have to put the computer in the kitchen to do anything with it. But maybe I should think about it.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Do you use a Mac? If so, you might like MacGourmet Deluxe. That's what I use, and I love it. It makes it really easy to import recipes from the web or input them yourself, and it's a great way to stay organized. You can use it to generate shopping lists, too, which is nice.
That does sound nice, but other than my iPad everything we have is Windows. Not sure I can see myself typing recipes on its keyboard (the number of typos I make is incredible) but maybe . . .

ETA, I just remembered that I do have an external keyboard - maybe there's a corresponding app.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I have a binder. I print a lot of recipes off the computer. I got the dividers with pockets. I three-hole punch as much as I can, and then tuck the cards and what not into the pockets. This has worked really well for me.

I duplicated this set up for each of my kids last Christmas. They love it. It makes it easy to organize them without having to retype or scan them.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not one to keep record of a bunch of recipes, but I keep a few favorites that I want to be able to reference or pass on in my email drafts section. If I come across something online that I want to come back to, I pop that in my drafts, too. Not the least bit sophisticated or pretty, but it's easy as pie, searchable and with me all the time (synched to my phone). An easy slight upgrade would be to make a label for them within my email, but I just stick to regular drafts.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use the Paprika app. It is a bit expensive but I really love it. You can put it on your laptop too. What I like about it is that you can download a recipe from the internet and you can also make your own recipes. Theres also a nifty grocery list button that lets you whatever ingredients you need from the recipe to your shopping list.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I paste recipes--clippings, print-outs--into a composition notebook. Sometimes they're loosely grouped by category, sometimes, just glued in whichever way works. I like this because there's usually space to jot down notes, and it becomes a 'book' of my own creation.

I never get around to making many of them, but some are my stand-bys and I like having them in one spot.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rule #1. Paperless. Everything I do is digital now. No doctor's appointment cards, no sales brochures, no receipts. Everything is scanned and saved to file. No more paper.

When I see a recipe I like on the internet, I "print" it to a pdf, then I save it in a folder called Recipes. If I tear one out of a magazine, I scan it into the computer, name it, and save the file in the Recipe folder. If I am in a doctor's office and see something I like in a magazine, I snap a photo with my iPhone and import it into the Recipes folder.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm impressed with these ideas. I'm still a shove-it-all-in-a-file folder person, although I do have it organized by seasonality.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm in the process of buying a condo (a block from the beach) that is a bit smaller than where I currently live. So, I am getting rid of everything I don't need. This includes recipe boxes from the 70's and cookbooks. You name it… it's out of here. I figured I can get any recipe I might need on the internet!
Even went through old ski clothes and gave away or donated to Goodwill. Still have five pairs of ski pants I need to keep.. Old k2 lotta luv's were going to the Goodwill, but my BF wants to make a bench out of old skis…..

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How about taking photos of the recipes and keeping them on your iPad? santacruz skier you could also do that with a few of the best recipes before you get rid of all the books.

Jenny

Angel Diva
How about taking photos of the recipes and keeping them on your iPad? santacruz skier you could also do that with a few of the best recipes before you get rid of all the books.
That would be a good start in getting rid of the pile of papers, at least. And since the likelihood of me ever making most of them is small, I really don't have to worry about scaling them up and down, or having to have the ipad near me while I cook (I'm a messy one). But in the planning stages of a project it always seems like a good idea to go all in, hence wanting the calories, scaling, grocery list, etc. etc.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll preface this by saying that I don't really like to cook, but I'm always full of big ideas . . .

So I have a collection of ripped out pages from magazines and other places with recipes that I think about making someday, but never do, and I want to organize them somehow.

I could just stuff them into sheet protectors and then in a notebook, but that's barely a step up from throwing them all in a shoebox as is and calling it done. Anyone got any software they've used that's easy to enter them into? It would be nice if I could calculate calories, or adjust the number of servings, too.

If you are thinking about making these recipes but never do you might as well get rid of them altogether and start afresh with going digital and saving files with recipes you find on the Internet on your computer. I had two boxes of recipes I've collected over the years and even made most of them at least once, but I still threw them away. I thought about digitizing them, but it would have taken quite a lot of time, and when everything can be so easily found on the Internet I just thought it was impractical.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I save recipes that I see online onto delicious.com , which despite its name is just a bookmark storage tool. But I never cook 99% of them. I downloaded Paprika, but it didn't work with the sites from which I pulled recipes, and I am just not going to type stuff in by hand.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree that many recipes in one's collection can be tossed out--like am I really ever going to make those chocolate ganache whiskey balls?--but sometimes I like the nostalgia that comes with looking at a much-used clipping or a hand-me-down recipe.

altagirl

Staff member
I agree that many recipes in one's collection can be tossed out--like am I really ever going to make those chocolate ganache whiskey balls?--but sometimes I like the nostalgia that comes with looking at a much-used clipping or a hand-me-down recipe.
I agree. I keep hand written recipes and notes from relatives, but the rest? I can google it. Once I make something once, I tend to get creative with it anyway. (I don't bake anymore since giving up gluten, so this generally works out fine).

dianakate

Angel Diva
I love Evernote for storing recipes. It is a free app and you can create a notebook for recipes, then take pictures of the ones you have on paper and store them there as well as links to online recipes. I also use it for making meal plans and grocery lists.

Jenny

Angel Diva
If you are thinking about making these recipes but never do you might as well get rid of them altogether and start afresh with going digital and saving files with recipes you find on the Internet on your computer. I had two boxes of recipes I've collected over the years and even made most of them at least once, but I still threw them away. I thought about digitizing them, but it would have taken quite a lot of time, and when everything can be so easily found on the Internet I just thought it was impractical.
I thought about this after posting. Good to see what others are doing and it's given me ideas for collecting them better. I'd like to save the recipe itself, I think, not just a link, in case something disappears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly