• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick Thumbnails from SIA 2014

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be heading to Mammoth to get on some of the skis I missed at Copper Mountain, but this is a start with the skis I got a chance to try at Copper. Not full reviews but quick thumbnails -
Notable notes:
The two front side skis that wow'd me = Blizzard Cheyenne and Head Super Joy
The Aura and Nemesis have made changes that are huge diversions from their predecessors

Frontside Sweethearts

Blizzard Cheyenne –

Length 163 Dimensions 115-78-100 (14M)

The Cheyenne earned a place in my heart with the edge grip and power, with a really big sweet spot when I took it out on the early day groomers, and continued to impress me when I took it back out later in the day when things were chopped up and less friendly. What was the icing on the cake was how playful and fun it was in the moguls.

HEAD Total Joy –

Length 163 - 85W (13.6M)

This is one of the new skis from Head’s Libra line with Graphene. One of the things I noticed about it quickly is how much I could push it. Head has made a really strong ski that has the ability to make easy turn transitions and cruise.

Head Super Joy

Length 163 Dimensions 128-75-108 (12.5M)

Head has made an amazing groomer ski for the women with this one. The edge hold is incredible and the turn shapes were easy to change in every where I pushed it, including in the moguls

Stockli Woman’s Stormrider

Length 159, Dims 127-84-109 (13.5M)

I would have liked to ski this in a longer length but this is what I had available. I really liked how nimble it was in the moguls and how easy it was to play in the chopped up snow, but I never really felt like I could get it up to speed and feel confidence in the stability.

Blizzard Viva 810

Length 167,

I would have liked to ski this one a size shorter than it was available, but….

In a 167, I felt that this ski was extremely stable at speed and had incredible edge hold, but I wasn’t feeling the love in moguls.

Nordica Wild Belle

Length 161, Dims 124-88-108 (15.5M)

This is a ski name you’re familiar with from the past couple years but with a whole new design related to the NRGy line on the men’s side. With the same basic construction of the Wild Fire from last season but with smaller dimensions, the Wild Belle has rocker tip and tail with camber under foot and a new playful nature that makes it super friendly in moguls and in chopped up snow. It took me a little while to find the sweet spot on groomers, but its there and fun to play with when you find it.

Midfats - 90-100mm

Blizzard Samba –

Length 166cm Sidecut

This is my benchmark ski because I know it so well. The Samba remains unchanged for 2015 with New Graphic Technology. When you engage the tip you’ll feel a reward that is unstoppable, much to Jed’s dismay the Samba inspires me to play in the bumps like its my own personal playground, and she’s willing to be my friend on a powder day. This is still my hot pick and is a ski that will remain in my quiver for some time to come.

Head Great Joy

Length 168cm – Dimensions 141-98-124

Head has built a strong ski for the woman who wants a hard charging every day ski. The Great Joy isn’t particularly playful in the bumps but is incredibly stable at speed and a strong, stable ski when you want to charge the mountain .

Nordica Nemesis

Length 169cm Dimensions 134-98-118

This is not the Nemesis of years past, that’s clear. The current generation of Nemesis has taken on the shape of its bigger sister, the Wild Fire. The new shape inspires a playful day on the mountain, whether its in the bumps, trees or chutes, while maintaining the ability to take you on the groomers when you feel the urge.

Where the previous Nemesis was a strong groomer ski that could go off piste, this version is an off piste ski that will ski the groomers.

Rossignol Saffron 7

Length 170cm Dimensions 134-98-118

This is the second year of the Saffron 7, but with NGT(new graphic technology)

It was fun to take into the bumps and playful in the soft snow on the edges, with a nice clean finish in the turns. Entering a turn seemed a little soft, but that’s not a surprise for a ski with this intention.

Kastle FX94

Length 166cm – 94mm W

This ski held no surprises for me. Played in the bumps, carved up the groomers and inspired me to head into the trees. This is a ski that could earn a permanent place in my quiver very easily.

Volkl Aura

Length 170cm - 132-100-118 (19.3M@ 163)

The Aura has seen some subtle changes over the years, from dimension changes to early rise tip, all of which maintained the character and energy of the ski that Aura lovers long for. The changes that came to the Aura this year aren’t subtle and bring the ski to new dimensions and most definitely a new feel. Taking the camber out of the ski and giving it full rocker made it super fun to pivot and play in the moguls, while it lost something in the traditional carving that I’ve grown to expect from the Aura.

Powder – 100mm + (other wise known as skis that make my butt look small)

Conditions – a few inches of fresh snow

Blizzard Sheeva

Length 172 – 102mm

With the retirement of the Blizzard Dakota, the Sheeva is taking her spot. At 102mm under foot, flipcore rocker, camber under foot and twin tip profile, the Sheeva is a beautiful ski to play in the powder, pop around in the bumps & trees, and charge chutes. I can’t wait to try this ski out in a bigger variety of terrain.

Nordica Wild Fire

Length 169cm 135-105-123, 20M (*177cm 137-107-125, 22.5M )

I got a chance to ski this one for a full day in super soft snow = Lucky Me!

I will admit, it took me a few runs to remember that I wasn’t on skinny skis after a winter of nothing but groomers. Once I embraced the conditions, the ski was simply amazing. It turned easily under me and sort of let me be Zen when playing in soft fluffy bumps on Birds of Prey, and gave me huge grins when it was time to arc big turns on the way back to the village.

Goode Sorcerer

Length 169cm 128-104-118

While I was able to arc some turns on groomers, it was obvious that this skis intention was to play in powder, and it was sooooo much fun in the bumps. I really want to get out on this ski in some seriously deep snow.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about the Temptation 88? I understand Rossi redesigned the tip and tail to make it like the Savory 7. I adore my Savory's and am trying to decide if I need to upgrade to the new Temptation 88.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rossignol did redesign the Temptation 88, with a better tip profile and softer flex, but I didn't get not it yet because it always seemed to be out when I went looking for it. I hope to get on it this week at Mammoth.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for the update! Interested to see what else you will get demo.....
Just got home from Mammoth where I did some current year's demo myself this weekend as the conditions warranted a fatter ski then my normal daily driver ..... wish I could have stayed a few days longer -- but did end up skiing the Nordica Wild Fire all day Saturday in varying conditions. This ski is so trustworthy and transitions effortlessly from powder to chop to windblown ice -- which I really appreciated b/c there were plenty of times when I could not see "exactly what" I was skiing on due to poor vis /and high winds..... :ski3:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Want to try the Cheyenne's!
And WaterGirl, jealous you were at Mammoth for the BIG DUMP!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, Big Dump = Big Wind = top closed. Granted we found some nice powder here and there but conditions changed fast. I'm hoping that SnowHot has "less" wind and more terrain for the demo days!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hoping to get out on some bigger skis this week. Pray that Mammoth delivers!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, Big Dump = Big Wind = top closed. Granted we found some nice powder here and there but conditions changed fast. I'm hoping that SnowHot has "less" wind and more terrain for the demo days!
Did 9 and 25 finally open? I have found at Mammoth you can ALWAYS find the wind-protected spots. Did you try chairs 12/13/14?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well it was *blustery* most of the time we were there. Agreed some wind protected spots, which actually got my DH into the trees on his snowboard a bit more this trip... Much of the mountain was shut down at various times b/c of wind. I love over by 12 (an 13/14 are favorites as well) - but 12 was even on hold yesterday (13/14 never open) and shut down by 11:00 according to a host I spoke with. On saturday they shut down a lot over by main and had to "bus" people over to canyon. Saturday we got the last run from Roller coaster at about 2:00 b/c they stopped the lift as well as canyon express. I thought my DD was going to blow down the hill! Then they only had school yard and chair 8 open.... Even yesterday they ended up stopping chairs at at various times. Today would have been the day ..... less wind and all the snow and definitely more chairs open.... I found this link to the wind speed over the weekend and was looking at how windy it really was .... mammoth ski patrol site.... https://patrol.mammothmountain.com:83/Home.aspx If you go back to yesterday you will see wind gusts of up to 40+mph on chair 10 -- and chair 9 50mph! (but saturday was worse - w/ snow and complete white out in some spots which also caused them to shut down - b/c no visibility). The wind kept changing direction so what was good one day/hour was windblown the next.

Despite the wind we had a lot of fun, my DD and I got to ride some fatter skis and get into some fresh snow and my DD now knows the difference between windy; blustery; and bluebird :smile: (sorry if I'm hijacking this thread)

Looks like SnowHot will get some nice weather over the next few days!!!!!!

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Hey I was on lifts in major wind this past weekend - they ended up closing the lifts. One point about the Kikus - they are like SAILS compared to my Harts - I almost never put my feet on the foot rests and the skis were getting buffeted like crazy!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well it was *blustery* most of the time we were there. Agreed some wind protected spots, which actually got my DH into the trees on his snowboard a bit more this trip... Much of the mountain was shut down at various times b/c of wind. I love over by 12 (an 13/14 are favorites as well) - but 12 was even on hold yesterday (13/14 never open) and shut down by 11:00 according to a host I spoke with. On saturday they shut down a lot over by main and had to "bus" people over to canyon. Saturday we got the last run from Roller coaster at about 2:00 b/c they stopped the lift as well as canyon express. I thought my DD was going to blow down the hill! Then they only had school yard and chair 8 open.... Even yesterday they ended up stopping chairs at at various times. Today would have been the day ..... less wind and all the snow and definitely more chairs open.... I found this link to the wind speed over the weekend and was looking at how windy it really was .... mammoth ski patrol site.... https://patrol.mammothmountain.com:83/Home.aspx If you go back to yesterday you will see wind gusts of up to 40+mph on chair 10 -- and chair 9 50mph! (but saturday was worse - w/ snow and complete white out in some spots which also caused them to shut down - b/c no visibility). The wind kept changing direction so what was good one day/hour was windblown the next.

Despite the wind we had a lot of fun, my DD and I got to ride some fatter skis and get into some fresh snow and my DD now knows the difference between windy; blustery; and bluebird :smile: (sorry if I'm hijacking this thread)

Looks like SnowHot will get some nice weather over the next few days!!!!!!

Oh, the swirling of the winds will do you in there for sure! I'm grateful I've never had a day like that--we've always been able to at least count on chair 12. (Love chair 12, too. It has such an old-school feel to it over there.)

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Frontside Sweethearts

HEAD Total Joy –

Length 163 - 85W (13.6M)

This is one of the new skis from Head’s Libra line with Graphene. One of the things I noticed about it quickly is how much I could push it. Head has made a really strong ski that has the ability to make easy turn transitions and cruise.

I really, really want to try Head skis - finding the darn things to demo is near-impossible. I think I need to do some more exploring around the Ogden/SLC area. This ski sounds like a blast, especially in a longer length.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really, really want to try Head skis - finding the darn things to demo is near-impossible. I think I need to do some more exploring around the Ogden/SLC area. This ski sounds like a blast, especially in a longer length.
Me too. LMK if you find any shops out there who have them!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean the Viva 8.0? The answer to that is no; that's a completely different ski. The Viva line has metal in it and the Cheyenne doesn't. I think the Viva 810 is replacing the 8.0, though.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Do you mean the Viva 8.0? The answer to that is no; that's a completely different ski. The Viva line has metal in it and the Cheyenne doesn't. I think the Viva 810 is replacing the 8.0, though.

Now they're just making it confusing on purpose!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is the blizzard Cheyenne replacing the 8.0?
Hmmmm, not really. The Viva 810 is supposed to replace the Viva 8.0, but its back to the system ski with the strong groomer bias. The Cheyenne is an addition to the Flip Core Line up that is, IMHO, the ski that the Viva 8.0 wanted to be.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi any follow up on these skis? Now I am totally *conflicted*...... ! :crazy:

Realizing after reading this that next year Nordica Nemesis and Wild Bell will be similar to the Wild Fire platform....
"Where the previous Nemesis was a strong groomer ski that could go off piste, this version is an off piste ski that will ski the groomers."

In the market for something in the 90-100 all mountain.... after last trips demos available on mountain (Rossi; Volkl; Nordica; Line) I have narrowed down my next demos to the following: Nordica Nemesis or Hells Bell and Blizzard Samba and Black Pearl..... I have not tried the Blizzard at all; I own other Nordica skis.

I have a front side carver that can handle a bit of snow but looking for something that can handle more snow and still be fun front side.

I did enjoy the Wild Fire last weekend (but thinking don't need that much ski all the time, and really more fun in snow than on the groomers). Not sure if the new Nemesis would ride more like the Wild Fire? Curious on your thoughts on this SnowHot...

I will be going up next weekend, I know I can demo the Blizzard Samba and the Black Pearl from an off mountain shop; on mountain they have the Hells Bell but not the Nemesis.

And yes the Head skis look interesting as well as the Cheyenne ....

Thanks!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmmm, well, I got out on the Nemesis again at Mammoth in soft chalky snow. Its got a really playful nature but isn't as much of a charger as the previous Nemesis. I think its improved in a lot of ways, including bumps and trees, but not sure it should have kept the same name as the previous version because its not similar in any way, other than its waist width.
The Hells Belles is gone next year. Instead, the Wild Belle is 88mm under foot and (again) its more playful.
Both of these new versions respond really well to tongue pressure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna