• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pronounciation Guide for Ski Brands

mustski

Angel Diva
That is a good article! I learned that Kastle is not pronounced like castle when I demoed them this past March. The demo rep in a tent made sure I got it right - Kes-lee lol. They are amazing skis - worth to learn how to pronounce! :smile:

I learned the pronunciation by accident. My neighbor was a Norwegian pro skier who skied for Kastle. Whenever we talked, he always said Kes-lee and I figured he would know.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooooh I got them all right! Benefits of working in the outdoor industry. I have to say, "Tee-va" is one of my all-time pet peeves.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, I'm curious. What's it supposed to be?

It's TEH-vah. Most people I know say TEE-vah.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say BlizzZARD, though... ?? Huh. Maybe some of this is where you're from, too.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the correct pronunciation?
'ra-zig-nol is the "correct" pronunciation in the US, and even Rossi reps say it that way. 'ra-zi is the short form.

The French pronunciation, however, is 'rho-ssi-,nyol.

https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/rossignol/

The American pronunciation drives me nuts because the French way is how I was taught to say it. I usually don't get worked up about how the words are said in the original language, and find it pretentious when people insist on doing that, but this one word... :crazy:

Edit: Partly, I find it strange that the double-s, which is almost always pronounced "s" in English, is pronounced "z" in this case. There might be some interesting history on this.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's TEH-vah. Most people I know say TEE-vah.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say BlizzZARD, though... ?? Huh. Maybe some of this is where you're from, too.

Lots of BlizZARD from people who were in the industry/ski world in, say, 70s and 80s. I don't know if that was correct back then, but I know it's not now.

newboots

Angel Diva
Lots of BlizZARD from people who were in the industry/ski world in, say, 70s and 80s. I don't know if that was correct back then, but I know it's not now.

Bode Miller was one of the commentators for the World Championships this week, and he said Bliz-ZARD.

I had only ever heard Bliz-ZARD. But the people I heard talk about Blizzards the most were a shop owner and a guy who was a sales rep for BlizZARD for a decade - probably most of the 90s!

I still haven't heard anyone say "BLIZ-zard," but I understand the company is trying to change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna