• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pronounciation Guide for Ski Brands

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I once asked the marketing director at Blizzard if it was pronounced like the storm, or Bliz-ZARD.

She said to say it like the former, not the latter. Yet nine times out of ten, people still say Bliz-ZARD.

So I thought I'd post a link to this article about the correct pronunciation for ski brand names.

Are you saying it right?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For most of these, if you know the company's country of origin, the pronunciation just makes sense. Except of course Blizzard, if they insist on the English pronunciation ;-)

alicie

Angel Diva
Most of them are pretty easy like Thule is like Thor so it's pretty easy to even guess for most of them.

What about Lange and raichle?

newboots

Angel Diva
I once asked the marketing director at Blizzard if it was pronounced like the storm, or Bliz-ZARD.

She said to say it like the former, not the latter. Yet nine times out of ten, people still say Bliz-ZARD.

Hmm. My skiing-inspiration friend used to represent them all over New England. He says BlizZARD. Are they trying to anglicize it?

newboots

Angel Diva
I was corrected recently pronouncing Stockli "stock-ly." Then I saw another spelling: Stoeckli, which helped me get it closer to correct.

Jilly

Staff member
My french side is Blis-Zard. But then again it usually got said as Buzzard because of the way it appeared on the skis in the 80's. The L and I were so close together people thought it was a U.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm I always thought Bogner was pronounced with a soft g (more like a j)

Christy

Angel Diva

So I thought I'd post a link to this article about the correct pronunciation for ski brand names.

Are you saying it right?

Oh, THAT'S interesting. Every ski shop/demo shop I go to says Bliz-ZARD, and I've never been able to bring myself to say it that way--it sounds like someone has an affectation. Ha! But here's the question, am I going to correct them?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's one in every crowd. This time, it's me.

I found the guide to be lacking. For example:

Arc'teryx - guide says (Arc-tear-ix). But how do you pronounce "tear"? Is it TARE, or TIER?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, THAT'S interesting. Every ski shop/demo shop I go to says Bliz-ZARD, and I've never been able to bring myself to say it that way--it sounds like someone has an affectation. Ha! But here's the question, am I going to correct them?

I never do. But I say it the correct way back to them. They probably think I'm a rube. :becky:

Jilly

Staff member
I think it's the french here in Canada. And maybe they don't want to associate with the weather or a DQ treat!

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My french side is Blis-Zard. But then again it usually got said as Buzzard because of the way it appeared on the skis in the 80's. The L and I were so close together people thought it was a U.
Buzzard...that's funny! My mom had the heaviest French accent around.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's one in every crowd. This time, it's me.

I found the guide to be lacking. For example:

Arc'teryx - guide says (Arc-tear-ix). But how do you pronounce "tear"? Is it TARE, or TIER?

Yeah that one was weird. It's Arc Terr Ix. Pteryx is from Archteopteryx which is what the skeleton on the logo is of, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna