• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Panic attack at the Top

mustski

Angel Diva
That's awesome! And a great reminder to "check in" with ourselves every day - something that's fun one day can be intimidating the next, and vice versa - not just because of snow and weather, but because of our own internal conditions.

Ain't that the truth!

Emy!Dee

Certified Ski Diva
This thread is very helpful! I've been that friend who completely froze at the top and had to slip slide down a (relative at the time) steep slope once.

I have found that it really helps to follow a more experienced friend and try to trace her tracks down a taunting trail. It takes your concentration off the steepness and back to focusing on the method. I have yet to go on a black diamond trail, but I will definitely try my best to get pumped up rather than psych out!

Snow Queen Linz

Diva in Training
I had something similar happen and I felt so bad for taking my friend down the run! It was a green run- super easy, but she just lost it. Was crying and wanted to walk down. Being that it was somewhat crowded, I was worried that someone would actually hit her if she tried to walk and we were at the top of the trail. So my husband would stand about 15 in front of her, and then ski to my husband, following me. Took us ages, but at least we got her down safely.
It is so psychological though, have been on the panic end too. Most of the times I paniced were because I was dragged down terrain that I felt unprepared to handle yet.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I'm going to expand on this. Sure we've all had our panicky moments, but there also could be a real underlying element of an anxiety disorder. How do I know this? I've been in treatment for anxiety for about 15 years. There are panic attacks, and then there are panic attacks. The DH sounds like he did the right thing. I've been there...and that's why I try to remember to carry my meds with me at all times. I can be as mindful as I want, but sometimes that's not enough. The best thing to do is to quietly and gently try to get them out of the whirling miasma of what' going on inside the head. Too bad my DH doesn't understand this after all these year and I've had to learn how to manage on my own. Full blown anxiety attacks are no fun.

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In working with people with panic attacks- mostly kids, it may not work with adults- I found that distracting them with something they know well allows the panic to subside enough that we can attempt the task at hand. With kids I usually pepper them with multiplication or addition problems or have them take turns quickly saying the letters of the alphabet with me, loudly. What I found is NOT useful is to try to "fix" the problem by saying things like, "it's not that steep", "you've done it before", "You'll be fine", "what are you afraid of?". True panic attacks are not going to go away with reassurance!

kiki

Angel Diva
Bumping this up. With a fresh new season here we are all reacquainting ourselves with the mountain.
Worthwhile for other newbies I think.

I had a panic attack yesterday on the mountain in a class. The day before had gone so well, but I was tired, not enough sleep the night before, sore muscles, and a blizzard on the hill triggered it. Felt so bad about disrupting the class. And such a failure for having that happen. Instructors and my class were very supportive and fabulous. And getting home after, Reading this thread made me realize even way better skiiers than me experience this once in a while. So grateful for this community!!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumping this up. With a fresh new season here we are all reacquainting ourselves with the mountain.
Worthwhile for other newbies I think.

I had a panic attack yesterday on the mountain in a class. The day before had gone so well, but I was tired, not enough sleep the night before, sore muscles, and a blizzard on the hill triggered it. Felt so bad about disrupting the class. And such a failure for having that happen. Instructors and my class were very supportive and fabulous. And getting home after, Reading this thread made me realize even way better skiiers than me experience this once in a while. So grateful for this community!!!
Oh Kiki, I'm sorry to hear this! As someone who has been known to panic on the hill, and who panicked several times last season on terrain I had skied the year prior with little issue, I know how frustrating and rather embarrassing this can be! Do you care to share what caused you to panic? For me last season, it was steeper terrain.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Oooh, I'm sorry!

It happens. Any of those three factors can be debilitating, all on their own. You're not a failure. You didn't fail. I'm glad your instructors and classmates were supportive.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only failure would be if you gave up on skiing. But it sounds like you are determined to conquer so only success there.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only failure would be if you gave up on skiing. But it sounds like you are determined to conquer so only success there.

You know, honestly, I don't think that's a helpful frame. It's okay to stop doing something if it doesn't bring you joy. That's not the case here, anyway, but just putting it out there.

HockeyMom

Diva in Training
Last year I was out with a friend who has been skiing for a few years when we ended up on a trail that had little snow, with some steeper, icy, narrow areas due to exposed rocks, etc in the trail. She had the skills and experience to maneuver the trail but got really nervous about what was in front of her.

I hoped in front then both showed her and told her the best path down, not getting too far ahead. (I started Mtn biking with she and others who had helped me over the previous summer pick the best paths over obstacles so this was my turn to help her.) By staying in front and having her concentrate on the turn by turn vs getting nervous about how to navigate the narrow steep areas, she was able to make it down fairly easily. We got to the lodge and she was so excited that she had conquered this. (I'm also a fan of positive affirmations so I provided lots of encouraging praise as we made our way down.) It was a huge confidence booster for her.

I know this could have turned out very differently. I've been there myself where I felt completely overwhelmed. I agree with the other comments that it is often from mental or physical fatigue. We all have good days and bad days.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think the vast majority of skiers have experience that "oh $ ..t" moment at lease once in their ski life. Many of us have experienced the same feelings you did. There is definitely no shame in being smart. Yes SMART! Sometimes, our body is just telling us NO. I have experienced this on runs that I have skied many times before, but then there are THOSE days and THOSE conditions. Listening is not foolish or embarrassing. It's smart.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As our incredibly bad-ass ex-extreme-skiing-competitor instructor says when someone texts him to say they're not skiing in -20F temps or are cutting the day short because they're tired - "That's good skiing!"

kiki

Angel Diva
@diymom and @bounceswoosh its a good point that we all have to pick our battles amd passions.
I golf a lot and some friends start and decide their passion is elsewhere or they don't want to invest the time and energy in to it once they realize what it entails, and that's ok. I think it's the same with anything-- a sport, a job, a relationship. It's ok to move on.

As for me and skiing, I am determined though! Lol! No fear there. I'm the stubborn type.

And i also learned how to manage the panic a bit.
The one instructor had me do a breathing technique that i can do on my own if i need it again, and the other had me focusing on the trees and his path. Glad i experienced it with them and learned not just technical ski techniques in the class but some good self management ones too. They were awesome.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
I had one panic attack, and several bouts of just plain too scared. I always think of the Divas' advice, and this thread contains even more of it. Thanks again, ladies!

Spunk72

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What a great thread. As you've said, everyone has these moments, however irrational they may be. When I find myself freaking out, I actually go back to two things one of my first instructors taught me (at Alpine Meadows, he was a fellow Aussie from my home mountain which was funny) when I was an 18 year old real beginner. It was to pretend you are holding a drinks tray as you ski thru and you don't want to spill them, and the other is the steeper the pitch, the more you lean forward... I think it's just the fact that I can focus on something that I know has helped my skiing in the past that does the trick... focussing the mind I guess!
The other thought I had is that the more you ski, the more used to different terrains you become. Even tho I am not an expert skiier, all those years skiing ice, crud, and crappy conditions in Aust and other places means that when I come across them now, I can go, yes this is crap but I know how to get thru this. And side-slipping is absolutely so important, I've been teaching my kids how to do this too.

COchick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah I don't know a single person that hasn't had a mental moment on the mountain at some point. For me, it's usually triggered by conditions more so than terrain. I think because it was thin and icy when I fell and fractured my tibia plateau, so every time I encounter something thin and icy I get really nervous. I really really try to not be that way but it's so hard to forget about a major injury and the conditions that were present when it happened. Which is silly because being a great skier means having an ability to ski all types of conditions - let's face it, we won't always get perfect powder days! I mean when it comes down to it, I feel like I can get down anything - it might not be pretty, but I can also side slip with the best of them. No shame there.

However. As someone who only gets to ski a few times a year, I always try and leave a trip a better skier than I started. So I like pushing boundaries and comfort zones, but in the back of my head I'm always thinking about my knees. I was at a point where I was finally breaking into steeps and trees and bumps and having a blast doing so, but last year I could only get through half a day before it just hurt too badly. I'm hoping that won't be the case this year. For one, preventative icing and resting before the pain sets in will likely help. (Also doing PT until trip time) My fiance is a great skier and is always so calm and confident everywhere on the mountain - I wish I could channel some of that energy. He always tells me my mental game needs more work than my actual skills and he's so right. We're all just works in progress I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna