• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opinions Please! Rossignol Temptation 78 for me & Experience 78 for the hubby

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello everyone!

I discovered this forum when I began shopping for skis in June.
I took a lesson in February and was HOOKED! Skiing is the greatest thing I've ever done.

Within 3 trips to the mountain (Sunshine Village) I tackled several black diamonds. I probably don't look like the most graceful thing coming down, but I do blacks without falling. I also enjoy glades, moguls & off-piste in between trails... I love it all!
(About 20 hours of YouTube tutorials gave me the confidence & general skills required to successfully do these crazy things despite being a beginner.)

My husband came out with me 2 times and really likes it too. He hasn't done a black run yet, but has no problem on the blues. (Again, the Youtube tutorials did magic for his ability.)

So now I'm shopping for 2.

I thought it would be romantic to get the same equipment so I'm looking at Rossignol Tempation 78 for me & Rossignol Experience 78 for him.

The price at my local Sport Chek is $479.99 including bindings.
This seems to be the best priced "intermediate all mountain" ski - which is what I'm really looking for.

In my history, I demoed:
Salomon Bamboo (fun & poppy but almost too much edge grip for my newbie carving skills)
Blizzard Black Pearl (thought they were great, but way too expensive around here).
Salomon Enduro 700-ish & 800-ish (very responsive but way too heavy)
Some Solomon beginner ski (awful, like a wet noodle.)

What is your opinion on the Rossi 78's?
I am also open to other suggestions of similarly priced "intermediate all mountain" equipment.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to hanging out with all you nice ladies in the internet world!
:smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
Welcome DanniAB! The Rossi 78's are a great intermediate ski and will serve you well "on piste" - groomed runs. That sounds like a great price so, if it were me, I'd pull the trigger. I have to ask the age old dreaded question though ... How are you both fixed for boots? I ask this because well fitting boots is way more important than skis and most of us had to choose what to buy during season 1 and season 2.

Where do you ski in Alberta?

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reply!
"How are you both fixed for boots?" We figured we would roll into Sport Chek and ask the sales guy for help.

Is there a secret to get the best fit?

I have been to Nakiska, Norquay & Sunshine.

Sunshine is my favorite: A beautiful pillowy heaven.

Lake Louise is on the roster for this year, I've heard only good things about their back bowls.

mustski

Angel Diva
First of all ... skis are sexy and fun to buy but boots are way more important - even if it means picking up some used skis off of ebay for a season. We like to put it this way ... "you date your skis, but you marry your boots." If the boot is a poor fit, the information you transmit from your foot to the ski is interrupted or delayed.

Boots are actually a lot harder than you would think. Some people @sibhusky are really lucky. Others, like (sigh) myself, have a very hard time. This thread will help you to understand what to look for when buying boots and some of the difficulties you might experience.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-you-yes-you-need-a-boot-fitting.2075/
The advantage of a boot fitter is they usually include a 12 month guarantee. This means if you develop hot spots, loss of circulation, sloppy fit, you name it... they will tweak the boot and make it fit. The "long and the short of it" - pun intended - is this ... a boot that is too big (either too long or too wide) can't be fixed. A boot that is too tight can be stretched and tweaked to fit perfectly. More importantly is a boot that works for the shape of your foot. That is the key and where a boot fitter comes in really handy.

This thread lists some boot fitters in Canada and I believe some might be close to you. Lou comes up first in the list and is really well known. He is a bit of guru in ski legend. @Albertan ski girl also recommends her fav towards the end of the thread.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/bootfitters-by-region-canada.16793/

In the event you decide to just buy boots at a ski store, don't depend on the salesclerk to know what they are doing. Here is an article that will help you to make the best choice. It's from another ski forum, but I don't think ski diva will mind. A lot of us chat both places.
https://www.epicski.com/a/boot-fitting-which-boot-will-work-for-me

Feel free to ask more questions. There are many of the divas who are WAY more knowledgeable than I am! Either way, you are in for an adventure.

BTW ... Lake Louise is SERIOUSLY near the top of my bucket list!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the reply!
"How are you both fixed for boots?" We figured we would roll into Sport Chek and ask the sales guy for help.

Is there a secret to get the best fit?

I have been to Nakiska, Norquay & Sunshine.

Sunshine is my favorite: A beautiful pillowy heaven.

Lake Louise is on the roster for this year, I've heard only good things about their back bowls.

All feet are different, but to start with when in the shop they measure your feet on their device to determine your mondo size, the mondo size stated on the shell should be one less than the one your fit measured. Sometimes more than one. The rest is very individual. Better still is to find a good fitter in a small specialized shop. But it can be more pricey.

Jilly

Staff member
Please DO NOT use Sport Chek!! For our american diva's this is the same as Sport Authority. Big box stores are not where you buy boots. Check the list that mustski linked and see who is close to you. Call or visit,and don't buy at the first one. Get a feel for what they know and how they deal with you. I have a friend that works at Monod's in Banff and they sound like they have a good program. I haven't had any experience there myself.

Now as for the Rossi's...This is a good intermediate ski. It will be much like the Bamboo's you tried. The Bamboo is stiffer that's why you felt the edges.

Please continue with some lessons too! You're skiing with your DH, so get some semi-privates.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Danni, Welcome.
Yes, please do investigate boot -fitting seriously. As the others mentioned, skis are secondary.
With regard to being "romantic" (lol) purchasing two models from the same company; don't go there.
Both of these skis Tempatation and the Experience are great; however your husband needs to demo several skis in order to make the best purchase for himself. Two days on the slopes would have me in line at the Demo counter rather than scanning the racks of new skis. Try your darndest to go to a dedicated ski shop. Maybe the resorts you list have good shops on the mountain where demo skis are available. Demoing is tons of fun too. but the real investment needs to be on your feet, not under them.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think you are harsh Jilly. While it's not the best option and not suitable for problem feet many people are very happy with boots they got from box stores. Not everyone needs a high degree of customization and in this case the key is to get the size right and try as many boots as possible - which box stores usually have plenty and they also tend to have the lowest prices and good sales. Why pay more if you can get away with paying less?

Jilly

Staff member
Not here......they are staffed mostly by kids who are not trained except to the get the goods out the door. She will be asked to look at the wall and what size foot does she have. The boots will be 2 sizes too big to start and too wide. Most of these stores here only carry 2 brands and maybe 3 models for ladies. Our local store carrys only Nordica and Salomon. How many more manufacturers can you name? As for skis these stores go to the manufacturer and get them to make a ski for them alone. It will look and be modelled off of one the the top of the line skis, but it is not anywhere near that ski. For example a few years ago Sport Chek went to Atomic can had them make a SX-7 X ski. It looked just like the SX-7, but it wasn't even made from the same material.

Rant over!

Sorry but I have big issues with the big box stores here in Canada.

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow thanks so much for all this input!
I know boots are important, but I wasn't focusing on that yet. I'll check out all the boot links and start dedicating research time to my feet.
I like the idea of him demoing other styles before buying. I will make sure he does that before settling on something.
I kind of assumed that since we have the same model, we would ski best together but perhaps the reality is - it doesn't work that way!

Lessons? Absolutely!!! I am registered in a 4-week ski camp at Sunshine Village in November.

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Lessons? Absolutely!!! I am registered in a 4-week ski camp at Sunshine Village in November.

Awesome Danni! that is the best thing you can do. Can hubby go as well?

Jilly wasn't being harsh....honest. She was simply stating facts. Almost everybody on this forum would express the same concerns. And I bet most of us also started with buying boots too big based on our street shoe size or a size smaller. Truth is, ski boots can easily be 3 sizes smaller than your street shoe. When you get to the ski camp and realize through your instructor that some elements of your turns are not improving, or that your balance could be tweaked, etc; it may be due to large boots. If you truly love the sport---and a commitment to a camp tells me you are--- then boots must be your highest priority. Think of driving your car on a set of compromised tires. Not a pretty picture

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know boots are important, but I wasn't focusing on that yet. I'll check out all the boot links and start dedicating research time to my feet.
I like the idea of him demoing other styles before buying. I will make sure he does that before settling on something.
I kind of assumed that since we have the same model, we would ski best together but perhaps the reality is - it doesn't work that way!

Early season is a good time to get into a ski shop with a good boot fitter. You do not need to buy the latest and greatest. A good shop should have "new old stock" from previous seasons that they are happy to sell at a discounted price. Best to call first to make an appointment. Plan on spending 2-3 hours, even if you have pretty normal feet that do not require much special treatment. It's a very different process than wandering into a sports store to buy a pair of basic running shoes.

mustski

Angel Diva
All feet are different, but to start with when in the shop they measure your feet on their device to determine your mondo size, the mondo size stated on the shell should be one less than the one your fit measured. Sometimes more than one. The rest is very individual. Better still is to find a good fitter in a small specialized shop. But it can be more pricey.
This is not an automatic but a general rule. I, for example, am an anomaly. I have freakishly long toes and I actually do need the mondo size as measured. I also have super skinny heels. The combination is the exact reason that I challenge even the best of boot fitters. Shape of the foot is every bit as important as length - as is instep, arch, stance, knees, ankle flexibility. Hence the 1-2 sizes down for many skiers. Will a boot off the shelf fit? Maybe. It does for some people. Others it works for a season until the liner packs out and then the boot is too sloppy. Since a good intermediate boot can last 4-5 seasons, a boot fitting is worth it. You pay a bit extra for the boots, and generally end up buying a custom footbed, but you get a 12 month fit guarantee that the fitter will make it right or replace the boot. That is money well invested.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is not an automatic but a general rule. I, for example, am an anomaly. I have freakishly long toes and I actually do need the mondo size as measured. I also have super skinny heels. The combination is the exact reason that I challenge even the best of boot fitters. Shape of the foot is every bit as important as length - as is instep, arch, stance, knees, ankle flexibility. Hence the 1-2 sizes down for many skiers. Will a boot off the shelf fit? Maybe. It does for some people. Others it works for a season until the liner packs out and then the boot is too sloppy. Since a good intermediate boot can last 4-5 seasons, a boot fitting is worth it. You pay a bit extra for the boots, and generally end up buying a custom footbed, but you get a 12 month fit guarantee that the fitter will make it right or replace the boot. That is money well invested.
I suggest finding out exactly what the guarantee is. I had a lifetime fit "guarantee" on my first boots which turned out to mean that if I ever had a problem I'd get the reluctant attention of a boot fitter who would ignore what I told him and insist on trying one of the stock remedies that had already failed in the past.

In contrast, my current boots came with 12 months of free adjustments but no fit guarantee. However, because I'd done my homework and listened to a smart Diva, they came with a boot fitter who picked a boot I never would have considered but is uniquely suited to my feet, and whose custom footbed and shell work caused a choir of angels to start singing hallelujahs the first time I clicked in.

My advice is that if you can't find one of those, you should find a shop that will replace the boots if the ones they recommend turn out to be just wrong. Even better if they give you the option of a refund in case you decide to go somewhere else.

And communicate clearly with your boot fitter. Be ready to tell him how you ski, what kind of snow and terrain you enjoy best, how you feel about the boots you've tried, and your skiing ambitions. I'd be suspicious of a boot fitter who wasn't interested in any of that.

So congratulations and welcome to our world!

DanniAB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great news!! On Friday I purchased my Tempation 78's! They are 2013 model; never used and 1/2 the price of 2014's. I decided to go with 158cm since I demoed this length previously and loved it. I also purchased 2014 Saphir 110 bindings. I am absolutely thrilled!!!

These are flat mount though, are there any insider details on how to be sure they are mounted properly? Is there anything important I should know about flat mount? Originally, I was looking at the "system" with a track installed, but at this price I simply couldn't pass it up. I get free mount with the purchase of the skis through Sport Chek, is that OK or should I go somewhere else?

Thanks again for all the boot info everyone. Once stock arrives in stores here (mid-October) the true hunt will begin.

IMG_4584.jpg

mustski

Angel Diva
Congrats! Woot! I have new skis too and can't wait for the snow. Don't worry about the mount. Take them to a reputable shop, take your ski boots with you. The skis have a line on them that corresponds to the mid point on the boot. The techs will get it all dialed in for you, and they will also test the bindings. Don't worry about that. It's just what they do even if the bindings are new. If you don't have boots yet, just wait until you go to buy them, then have the shop where you buy your boots mount your bindings. Just take your skis with you when you go boot shopping. I always take all my skis. Sometimes a boot the same size as my old boots will have a different BSL (boot sole length) and my bindings have to be adjusted.

And oh yeah ... those are some pretty skis!

Jilly

Staff member
Woot, woot!! And yes take them to a shop for mounting. Please don't do this yourself...too many things can happen and ruin those pretty skis. Saphir binding is the perfect mate for these skis. So you'll need your boots, your height and weight and skiing ability. The shop will do the rest. Wish I knew where to send you in Calgary, but all the people I know out in Alberta are in Banff. There has to be somewhere beside Sport Chek and MEC.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Woot, woot!! And yes take them to a shop for mounting. Please don't do this yourself...too many things can happen and ruin those pretty skis. Saphir binding is the perfect mate for these skis. So you'll need your boots, your height and weight and skiing ability. The shop will do the rest. Wish I knew where to send you in Calgary, but all the people I know out in Alberta are in Banff. There has to be somewhere beside Sport Chek and MEC.
Aah, Calgary. I've heard that of the best boot fitters is Lou Rosenfeld and he has a shop there. Looks like a full service ski shop.

mustski

Angel Diva
Aah, Calgary. I've heard that of the best boot fitters is Lou Rosenfeld and he has a shop there. Looks like a full service ski shop.
Lou is the first name, and his contact info is listed, in the "boot fitters by region" thread I linked to above. I've never been to him myself, but I've heard nothing but raves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna