• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opening Dates, 2017

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm intrigued for next week, is there enough room for skiers to work their way around Boarders and the park features?

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal didn't get enough so they aren't opening tomorrow after all. We really need a solid 36" base in the PNW to open. The forecast is good but for small amounts every day rather than big dumps; it just needs to keep piling up.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Mammoth opened today - Chair 1 (Broadway Express) and 2 runs. It was very windy and the people who got "first chair" took almost 1/2 hours to get to the top. They said the snow was powdery with some firm patches.

No, I wasn't there, but watched it on the cams.

They say they are working to get beginner terrain and Chair 3 (Saddle Bowl) open soon. It appears that the temps for snowmaking have been marginal.

Have fun out there, and please be careful.

newboots

Angel Diva
AE75703E-8455-48E2-9BA0-41E39CFF69D1.png
Look at the temps for Friday!

Okemo is opening 2 weeks early. A big surprise to the staff - oops. Only 2 trails open.

Is this early-open thing a competition among resorts, or a publicity stunt? There isn’t much skiing to be had, it seems.

ETA: Killington weather report - the Resort, not the town.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue Mountain is blowing snow right now and they are hollering about it all over social media. My Facebook page is full of posts telling me to "check out our guns." Honestly, Blue, it's 2017. If I want to see your guns, I will let you know.

(Kidding emoji)

Jilly

Staff member
Blue Mountain is blowing snow right now and they are hollering about it all over social media. My Facebook page is full of posts telling me to "check out our guns." Honestly, Blue, it's 2017. If I want to see your guns, I will let you know.

(Kidding emoji)

Yeah really.....And I have to remember there is another Blue Mountain. Our Blue in Collingwood gets lake effect snow and had about 3" of natural yesterday. I haven't check to see if they are blowing anything. I'm more interested in Tremblant. And they definately are!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is blowing snow all over the training area and the long green. Temps in the 20s as of 9:00am. Obviously working hard to make it possible to open on Nov. 18. Given the forecast for the next week, don't see why not. :ski3:

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 8.47.16 AM.png

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah really.....And I have to remember there is another Blue Mountain. Our Blue in Collingwood gets lake effect snow and had about 3" of natural yesterday. I haven't check to see if they are blowing anything. I'm more interested in Tremblant. And they definately are!!

I was going for a Harvey Weinstein-ish commentary there ("Stop telling me to look at your guns!")--hijacking threads, as usual! My title should be "Pirate Diva" :bounce:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@vanhoskier and me at Big Boulder today!

23434937_10155157939360897_4427345203394655341_n.jpg

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AWESOME! How was it!?

We got there a bit before 3 so initially it wasn't too bad, but by about 4:30 it was getting pretty sketchy with people loitering all over the trail waiting their turn to hit the features. So we called it and went for an early dinner and drinks. Total, we probably got 5 or 6 runs in? Maybe 7? I wasn't counting.

Snow conditions were pretty good! Nice, firm snow. Some groomer turned up balls of ice/firm snow here and there, but no big deal. They did a great job pushing to get open, so kudos to JFBB for pulling off November 11th.

Christy

Angel Diva
View attachment 7608
Look at the temps for Friday!

Is this early-open thing a competition among resorts, or a publicity stunt? There isn’t much skiing to be had, it seems.

Yes and yes (and yes). When you hear "open" you do have to check to see what exactly that means. A lot of people like to get out there and ski the WROD no matter what, others wait until there's decent coverage and room to spread out.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes and yes (and yes). When you hear "open" you do have to check to see what exactly that means. A lot of people like to get out there and ski the WROD no matter what, others wait until there's decent coverage and room to spread out.

Yeah, I get this... I think a lot of it is bragging rights. For YEARS it was always Blue here that took that honor... but JFBB has been pushing to open 1-2 trails in the past few years to claim the victory b/c 1) they're farther north and 2) less vertical to cover than Blue so it's easier for them to get open in less time.

Normally, I'd be meh about it... but for anyone who has ever skied the Poconos... Nov 11th was something special so I showed up today. At least since I've been skiing.... I've never seen anything earlier than maybe around Turkey Day? So I totally went out today even if it was one messy green trail with park features.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Jiminy Peak and Wachusett in MA are opening on Nov. 12. Jiminy won't stay open, plan to close midweek and then open again the following weekend.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Early-season Poconos skiing should definitely require elbow pads and a Roller Derby name; something like "Black-Eye Susan" or "Ann Thrax". And maybe one of those Prussian helmets with the big spike on top....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna