• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Off to Grandma's 90th

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So guess what? Me and Mr. Lola are traveling out to western Pennsylvania to Grandma's 90th birthday celebration. In tow we have our son (aged 19) and his girlfriend. We will rendezvous with Lilgeorg and Mr. Lilgeorg. Grandma is Mr. Lilgeorg's mother.

Now my family has arranged for a big surprise celebration for Grandma's 90th. We are meeting at the Nemacolin Resort in western Pennsylvania. My sisters are flying in (one from Alaska, the other from San Francisco) and so are my uncles who are her sons (one from Seattle, the other from Florida). We have neighbors coming and church ladies as well as cousins once, twice, and three times removed.

Anyway, it should be lots of fun as long as the family dynamics stay in line, and I am looking forward to a great time . . . that is if Grandma actually survives the shock of the surprise! She will turn 90 on 08/08/08 as she was born on August 8th, 1918.

More for the trip report to follow, and hopefully pictures also!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've been having a grand time the last few days here at Nemacolin resort. Grandma was surprised by her birthday party and she survived! We have lots of family here with very little drama (isn't that weird).

I've been hiking and biking and mini golfing. Did some wine testing. Grandma and two of her great grandchildren took a horse-drawn carriage ride to see the lions, buffalo, bears, tigers, moose, mountain goats, and sheep. One of the youngsters kissed a bear by feed it a cookie from her mouth. The other one fed the bengal tiger and also had a tug of war with a hyena, which he won.

Yesterday, there was rock climbing on the rock climbing wall and a brutal game of paint ball. Mr. Lola has golfed the Links course twice, which he says is a tough course.

Of course, yesterday we enjoyed a very nice wine tasting. And get this! On Friday night we watched a demonstration of the Art of Sabrage, where they open champagne bottles with swords. Very cool. They even opened a special bottle for Grandma and her 90th!

And to think! We haven't done everything here there is too do!

You can drive a Hummer off road in the woods. Or go fly fishing, or skeet shooting with clay pigeons. There is also a spa, so some of my family members have gotten massages, hair cuts, manicures, pedicures, etc. - but that's not my bag baby.

Hopefully we will be able to post some photos soon!

Lola

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a great celebration! Please wish your grandma a happy birthday from the Divas -- and many, many more!!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
It's so great that you guys have 4 generations of your family alive and well to have an event like this. I saw a few of Ty's pics on facebook this morning and it looks like it was a great time.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like you had a great time!
After looking at the resort on the link you posted, I'm green with envy. Wow, they have some amazing and fun stuff to offer. Nearly everyone can find something of interest there!!!

Happy 90th!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes - oh Yes! We had a grand time. We celebrate significant birthdays in awesome style! Tyler's photos are great, but there are more to come. My favorites are the ones with Grandma and her 4 granddaughters, and Grandmas with her 3 great-grandkids!

I hope I am as luck some day. :dance:

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And be sure to see the photo I am sure will pop up of Lil forgetting the 90 birthday candles! Of the various jobs I had to do, this was the one I insisted that I could do best. And I forgot the candles!

So, SkiDiva, this is what I meant by something may go wrong at the wedding but it won't matter in a week and it will make an awsome story!

We had a wonderful time. We gave Grandma 90 Roses (Her name is Rose), had t-shirts made as favors, and had a hugh banner made with her picture on it. She loved it all.

Brooklyn Skier

Certified Ski Diva
That is so nice. Makes me remember my Nanny.

My grandmother lived to 101 yrs old. Longevity is on her side of the family. We had a big surprise party for her in the Hamptons at my Uncle's friend's restaurant/bar Neptunes when she turned 90. We had a slideshow with old pics when she was a foxy flapper lady hitting the nightclubs in Manhattan and made keychains of the pic of her in her best flapper outfit to give to everyone as favors. I remember my friends freaking out saying it wasn't nice to "surprise" someone that old but my Nanny loved every minute of it. We had a big party for her again when she turned 100 but we made that one a "known" party. She was sharp until the end and died peacefully at her home. She always ate a full meal with veggies and had her cocktails and sweets. She would say don't deny yourself anything but have everything in moderation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna