• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

October Romantic Getaway

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
So hubby and I are celebrating 20 years this October and we are trying to figure out a place to go. Mountains or Beach, we haven't decided. That's a tough choice for me. Snorkeling/sun worshiping with Rum vs. hiking (or skiing)/skyline worshiping with Wine. See what I mean?

We've been to cancun/Riviera maya, Bahamas, Vieques and mainland Puerto Rico which btw, between the rainforest and the bio luminescent bay, PR, hands down is the best, we took the kids back there and they love it now too. I tend to be the seasick type so I'm steering away from a cruise. Separately we've been to various u.s. locations like new Orleans, san fran, etc. Was looking at Banff, anyone know the conditions in October, is there really skiing then? Jamaica is a thought as it is a place we wouldn't take the kids. But then there is new England in the fall...

All in all, what was your favorite Romantic Getaway?

Jilly

Staff member
October is not a ski month in Banff. Depending on how early you are looking at you might hit some of the fall colours. But it would a great time for hiking, biking etc no matter.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, there's nothing like Vermont in the fall. People come here from all over the world to see the leaves change. It's absolutely glorious.

For romance, though, nothing beats Paris. We were there in the fall about 10 years ago, and you don't encounter the crowds you do during the high tourist months. And Venice is lovely. Another fall trip that was truly memorable. We also love Bermuda, but you have to consider that it's still hurricane season, and Bermuda is often in the storm track.

Christy

Angel Diva
If you're doing the Canadian Rockies I'd go as early in October as you can--it starts getting COLD and you wouldn't want to wait until leaves were off trees and things were dying. I've been in mid/late September and it was stunning (and below freezing each night). So so so beautiful, many say the most beautiful mountains in the world. Don't just do Banff, do Yoho and Jasper too.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure how it is in North America, but from my experience in the Alps mountains in October can be tricky. When weather cooperates they are stunning, but when not, it's quite miserable up there. Foggy, wet and cold. Pretty much everywhere else is better.

altagirl

Staff member
I've been asking in the alps in October and it was wonderful, but we might have been lucky.

Moab is awesome in October though. ...

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are wine lovers, the California Central Coast, including Paso Robles up to Monterey, is another awesome place in the fall. Great wineries and loads of outdoor activities. You can fly into LAX, rent a car, and drive up Highway 1 - Pacific Coast Highway. I've done this trip almost every year since 1990. Hiking, SUP, kayaking, horseback riding, cycling, etc etc. And of course - Big Sur. The wineries in Paso are a little more mom-and-pop, lots of small operations. https://www.pasowine.com/

Also Napa/Sonoma Counties north of San Francisco, though that is more expensive and less outdoor-activity-oriented. However, you could fly into SFO and spend a couple of days in the city, then get a car and head up to wine country. I'd recommend Healdsburg and Sonoma County over Napa - a little more down-to-earth. There's also hiking and coastal areas not too far from Healdsburg, including Muir Woods. They have a number of tasting rooms all arranged around the town square (very park-like) or you can venture out to the wineries themselves. https://www.wineroad.com/

Can you tell I love these areas? :smile:

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
thanks @gardenmary The latter was a route that I had suggested to the hubby. that's great info. I'll check into it.

We are still so random in our thoughts so thank you all for the ideas! So many places, so little time.

abc

Banned
Nothing beats England in October!

But that's just me. I can't get enough of the color foliage. I've lived in regions with fall color all these year, still gets all excited about them. You can't tear me away to go anywhere else during October.

Not everyone is so crazy about the fall color. If you're not, ignore this post.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I second @Christy - no skiing in October in the Canadian Rockies, and it does get cold at night, but there is a HUGE benefit to doing the Rockies then: no tourists to speak of, and the lakes haven't frozen over yet, so its beautiful here! October here is not that much colder than most other places, the only suggestion I would make is long underwear if going on any higher altitude hikes, but otherwise, I'm fine with a fleece for most of October. October is usually pretty sunny as well, which is nice. You can do lots of hiking in October, the mountain biking trails are pretty empty and dry and the hot springs will be perfect with the cool evening air!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote for no skiing in the Banff area yet at that time of year. Also another vote for early October there, or you'll miss the larch turning...even then they'll probably be done up high. Also, have multiple sets of hiking plans, because high elevation trails may very well be under snow by then. It's easy to keep an eye on trail reports for around there. But, it is my favourite hiking time, with the mountains getting their first dustings of white!! (It's also cold enough that carrying around thermoses of hot alcoholic drinks while hiking starts making sense...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly