• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

North America’s Biggest Vert & First Year-Round Resort Opens Winter 2017-18

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
WOW to BC new resort! Looks huge!
Revelstoke definitely will give you thigh burn "IF" you can ski top to bottom..
we were there in late March bottom was slushy but the top was fresh powder every day. very steep Mt. Loved it,

YES Squaw is hoping to stay open year round..
Hmmm on my MCPass... hmmm skiing on my b-day in August.. been wondering what to do to lessen the thought of turning 60!

Jilly

Staff member
Valemont did get their environmental clearance finally. Place is in the middle of nowhere though.

Christy

Angel Diva
There's a lot of good info on this on Epic--lots of Canadians with knowledge of the place chimed in. It doesn't sound viable for all sorts of reasons.

Revelstoke definitely will give you thigh burn "IF" you can ski top to bottom..

That's the thing--lots of vertical might sound good on paper, but at some of the places that have it, you never do ski top to bottom. The odds of conditions being really good for 6000' are not usually high. At Whistler not only do you generally deal with worse conditions down low but also beginner trails, beginner skiers, and crowds. So people only do it on the last run of the day.

And 6800'...so that's skiing Baldy down to Warm Springs, then doing it again, then 400' more. I can't imagine how many times I'd actually want to do that. More isn't always better!

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Liftopia article jumped the gun. Plan is for construction Summer 2018 with the target opening for Christmas 2018. So won't be open next season for sure. First season won't include the glacier during the winter.

A number of tidbits from the Master Development Plan is on the Valmount website in the Project Approved blog entry dated 3/28/17. Keep reading to find Quick Facts.

https://valemountglaciers.com/project-approved/

" . . .
While the mountain is very large, the resort base village is small. Accommodation within the Village of Valemount, located 8km away, will be important.

In addition to sightseeing and skiing, the resort will be integrated with many of the existing recreational activities of the region including snowmobiling, Nordic skiing, heli-skiing, hiking, biking, and more.
. . ."

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Summer skiing is going to be with T-bar lifts, and beginning-intermediate, looks like. (At Mt. Hood, summer skiing is all black.)

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 10.44.49 AM.png

Last edited:

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And the timeline. Resort will be open in December, 2018, but Phase One will not be completed until 2021.

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 10.51.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 10.47.47 AM.png

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(Correction: At Mount Hood, the Palmer Snow Field trails are rated black in the winter, but they are about 20º and groomed in the summer.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Don't know what's happening in terms of actual construction planning but the marketing effort is definitely underway. I found articles in Europe about Valmont that were published in the last few weeks. Found one on a German ski website and an article in Italian.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Whoa. Well, I guess the reports of "open 2017" were premature. Sadly.

Thank you for all that information. It'll have my kids salivating for months!

Christy

Angel Diva
If people want an uncrowded BC ski resort with lots of vertical, why not just go to Revelstoke? I don't get any excitement over this. All we hear is how tough it is to stay afloat in this business, and there's already a bunch of uncrowded BC resorts.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
Now that we all have passports, I see us exploring more Canadian resorts. Fingers crossed!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I said this on epic too - and I know a number of you have concerns - but I just don't see how this is going to work. The resort is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Revy - at least there are a lot of other resorts in the area, you can do the 'powder highway' and fly into Calgary pretty easily. But this is far. Edmonton is the closest major international airport - that's 5 and a half hours when it's not bad weather. I also saw here locally that the proposal to expand the Valemount airport was not approved. Valemount is a manual-only landing area. The area gets fogged in very often, short runway, so no fly-by-wire is allowed. And they won't expand. Add on to that that the town of Valemount has refused to pay for a new runway...

I think this sounds like a great project - and I commend Oberti, he actually got all of the First Nations on board and approving of this - but I question its financial viability deeply. Not to mention that there is limited bed space in Valemount and, right now, the top of the line hotel is the Super 8...

Also, from what I understand the total vertical is huge, however, it looks from the plans that there's no way to actually ski it continuously, so it might be less vertical than we think.

Don't get me wrong - I'll ski there. But I live a 5 hour drive away. I can't imagine people choosing this, especially with the lack of amenities, long drive, flight et when you can choose other places. My two cents.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My guess is that (whomever) are positioning themselves for the possibility that we'll lose skiing at lower latitudes and altitudes due to climate change. This will look a whole lot better if there is no skiing below 11,000 ft in the US.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like they will have some "side-country" trails down the valleys that might cover the whole vertical, and they are counting on summer traffic, I think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna